DA .22 revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hef

Bearcat
C'MON Ruger, I want a DA .22 revolver. Show it to me and I will buy it!

Hef

Bearcat
I have been looking at the S & W model 617 in a 4 in. barrel.....looks like anout $700.00. Man, thats a lot of dough for a .22.

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
i have a s&w model 18. that's a nice size for a DA .22 revolver. great lockwork, too.

that being said, i'd buy a 4" sp101. and even though i think the smith is a nicer revolver, i end up shooting my single six quite a bit more because im not nearly as worried about getting it dinged up. its lighter, too, w/ the alloy gripframe.

the 617 would be a very nice revolver. it will be accurate, and it'll have great lockwork. i think even the new ones are real nice. it'll weigh as much as a full-size .357, though. just depends on what you want.

mjh

Single-Sixer
Or an SP with eight and adjustable sights would be OK too.........

wwb

Hunter
Sad to have to report it on this forum, but the two best .22s ever made were both S&W products.

As innovative and popular as it was, with low manufacturing cost and selling price, Bill Ruger's .22 autoloading pistol can't hold a candle to the Smith 41.

When it comes to .22 wheelguns, the Smith & Wesson Model 35 is the gold standard, with the Model 17 a close runner-up. The SP in .22 caliber is a fine wheelgun, but it's just not in the same league.

Snake45

Hawkeye
wwb":1aynoev0 said:
When it comes to .22 wheelguns, the Smith & Wesson Model 35 is the gold standard, with the Model 17 a close runner-up. The SP in .22 caliber is a fine wheelgun, but it's just not in the same league.
I'd reverse the 35 and 17 in placement (and I'm assuming you count 18s as 17s, as the only difference is the barrel).

The Colt OMM, Trooper, and Diamondback in .22 should also rank above the SP101 .22 (IMHO, of course).

Ethang

Blackhawk
Hef":3nygmw30 said:
I have been looking at the S & W model 617 in a 4 in. barrel.....looks like anout $700.00. Man, thats a lot of dough for a .22.

It is a lot but in the end it's worth it. I have lost track of how many cheap 22 rounds I have shot. More then enough saved over 38's to make up the difference. Plus a 617 will last several lifetimes.

John K

Bearcat
As innovative and popular as it was, with low manufacturing cost and selling price, Bill Ruger's .22 autoloading pistol can't hold a candle to the Smith 41

Well at 3X the price I would expect more gun. Seriously though, I have seen many many Ruger 22 autos that plain out shoot the owners.

I like the Ruger because it just seems so substantial next to the 22A/Neo/Buckmark.

Don't get me wrong, the Buckmark is a hell of a pistol, my Ruger just shot better.
YMMV

wwb

Hunter
John K":3qn49rh2 said:
........ Seriously though, I have seen many many Ruger 22 autos that plain out shoot the owners......

No question. You have to be a VERY serious pistol shooter to appreciate the Smith 41, and the Rugers shoot better than most folks can.

I have a 6-7/8 Target Mark II... after adding Volquartsen guts and some custom thumbrest grips, it comes awfully close to matching my 41's performance at a fraction of the price.

John K

Bearcat
I agree. There is NOTHING wrong with teh Model 41. You just gotta be able to shell out $$$$$.
They do shoot well.

Snake45

Hawkeye
wwb":2cizw0ee said:
John K":2cizw0ee said:
........ Seriously though, I have seen many many Ruger 22 autos that plain out shoot the owners......

No question. You have to be a VERY serious pistol shooter to appreciate the Smith 41, and the Rugers shoot better than most folks can.
I've only shot a Smith 41 once, but it was a VERY impressive joint.

But my old Ruger MK II can shoot much better than I can, especially from one-hand standing.

If I were ever to get interested in formal stand-up Bullseye, I think I'd have to have one of the old High Standard Supermatics with the military (1911) grip. Shot one of those once and it was almost heaven.

AkRay

Single-Sixer
A Ruger semiauto can't hold a candle to a Smith 41? Someone forgot to tell that to Jim Clark about 50 years ago when he won the National Pistol Championship with a Ruger 22 pistol. It was not a typical performance since he is the only civilian shooter to accomplish the feat.

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/clark.htm

mattsbox99

Hunter
Somebody forgot to tell me too... I've won a lot of Steel Challenge matches with my MKIIIs.

41s are overpriced, but they are good guns. They have better resale value, but I keep my guns.

Smith's revolvers are the only game in town if you want to compete at SC or NRA Bullseye.

bullockdgmanor

Bearcat
Coop, what do you think of the Taurus 970 and 990 (vs. the 94 series). Do they have a better reputation? (Local gun shop doesn't have them, but would order one...)

Dan

Cholo

Staff member
wwb":2vdw9acg said:
Sad to have to report it on this forum, but the two best .22s ever made were both S&W products.

As innovative and popular as it was, with low manufacturing cost and selling price, Bill Ruger's .22 autoloading pistol can't hold a candle to the Smith 41.

I have no idea how I missed anything to do with a S&W Model 35! wwb, do you have one? It's the missing link in my gun collection. I've found a few, but none was "it". I found a perfect looking one but, believe it or not, it had the barrel canted to the right. Ruger's not the only one to do it, I have a Colt too.

A S&W Model 35 is a J frame Model 34 Kit Gun with a 6" barrel, discontinued in '74.

Love a Model 41, but it can't possibly shoot better than my Mark ll Competition; one ragged hole at 25yds with Winchester Power Points. The 41 is a finer gun I do admit.