DA .22 revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wwb

Hunter
Cholo":1730uax1 said:
I have no idea how I missed anything to do with a S&W Model 35! wwb, do you have one? It's the missing link in my gun collection. I've found a few, but none was "it". I found a perfect looking one but, believe it or not, it had the barrel canted to the right.........

I have one M35.... it's an 80% or better gun, with holster wear at the muzzle and the front edge of the cylinder, and a lot of bluing wear at the trigger, trigger guard, and backstrap. Always on the the lookout for a better one, but they aren't very common. The one I have, though is a sweet, sweet shooter.

Coop

Blackhawk
bullockdgmanor":346em27x said:
Coop, what do you think of the Taurus 970 and 990 (vs. the 94 series). Do they have a better reputation? (Local gun shop doesn't have them, but would order one...)

Dan

I cannot comment on the 970 nor the 990. My only experience was with the 9 shot M94. IMO, it was a POS. While I had it, it broke two transfer bars (aka Ruger design), and had several FTF .22 Rimfire cartridges.

Coop

700PSS Shooter

Bearcat
I second the S&W 617. Mine a 6" 6 shot from the first year thay came out. Paid $335 new (LOOOONG time ago). It is (still) the most accurate rimfire handgun I own - hands down.

I had a S&W 41, but it never felt right for me, and was ammo picky. It was incredibly well made and had a championship trigger. I went back to my Ruger SS 5.5 bull barel MkII. I just did better in matches with that pistol. Actually I was going to use the 617, but the matches did not allow speedloaders, so in essence, practically required autos. I would have done better with that gun as it has a triger in SA mode better than the 41.

I have an SP101 half lug, and would never, ever sell it. It is a far better field gun than the Smith. Different guns for a different purpose.

I think the SP101 just got too expensive and did not have fully adjustable sights, so it folded. That was a real loss, because it was built like a tank and perfect for field carry. I am sure if I had great, great, great grandchildren, they could still use it.

bluestraw

Bearcat
Hello, :D

Saw a neat little snubby last week. It was a S&W 34 .22. What's the going rate and opinions on this guys? Would like to see pics if available.

Blue

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
Picture as requested. Top gun is a Taurus 941 8-shot .22 mag, bottom is my S&W model 34 "kit gun" 6-shot .22. I have some grips for both of these. The S&W has been "worked" and is really sweet. The Taurus has been back to the factory for service as it really tightened up when shot - it's still a bugger-bear to cock the hammer or shoot double-action, but the single action pull is pretty good.
22revolvers.jpg

sebtool

Blackhawk
Well,I'll probably get crucified for this, but a DA .22 revolver, I like my old High Standard Sentinels pretty doggone well! :shock:

When you can find them they're anywhere from $100-$250, depending on all the regular variables. They're not a S&W, and my OM Single Six is more accurate, but they're plenty good for woods bummin', or bouncing a soda can around a quarry with your kids!
Lighter, smaller and easier for a kid to handle, too. A bonus is the 9 shots, which normally doesn't mean much to me, but helped my kids learn to count the rounds as you shoot. IMO you should always know how many rounds are left in your gun.

FWIW, I talked to a local gunsmith about the Taurus 94s, as I was looking for 1 in .22 mag. Same model, I think. Just so happened that when I called him, he had 2 in the shop, 1 new, 1 used, and had a couple others in recently. Said they had a few issues(not sure what) but once they were straightened out were pretty reliable.

Just my .02 :D

Snake45

Hawkeye
sebtool":3k2m0gr5 said:
Well,I'll probably get crucified for this, but a DA .22 revolver, I like my old High Standard Sentinels pretty doggone well! :shock:

When you can find them they're anywhere from $100-$250, depending on all the regular variables. They're not a S&W, and my OM Single Six is more accurate, but they're plenty good for woods bummin', or bouncing a soda can around a quarry with your kids!
The late, great Chic Gaylord was also a big fan of the little High Standard .22 revolvers. You're in good company.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
wwb":3s3mncd5 said:
Sad to have to report it on this forum, but the two best .22s ever made were both S&W products.

I have often heard that the Benelli MP-95 was a better Semi-Auto than the S&W Model 41, and it is less expensive. I have heard that Hammerli is even better than that.

For Revolvers, I hear that Freedom Arms and I believe US Revolvers put S&W's to shame.

Charlie

Latest posts