Cyliner to barrel gap

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

How much gap should be the max on a 44 Super Redhawk between the cylinder and the barrel?

flatgate

Hawkeye
Well made Custom Guns and the magnificent Freedom Arms revolvers have barrel to cylinder gaps in the 0.001"-0.002" range.

It takes a very well built gun to continue to be serviceable with such close tolerances.

JMHO,

flatgate

Snake45

Hawkeye
texaswheelgunner":3qibacjf said:
I prefer .004" to .006" myself, but I do have revolvers (Smith and Wessons) that have .008" and even more that I shoot with no apparant problems.
So do I (prefer .004-.006"), having had problems with a revolver with a very tight gap. I'll have to take Flatgate's word for it that a well-made revolver like a FA can be made to work with a tight gap. I also note that the FA is a SA revolver, not a DA. :wink:

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Snake45":2wunoehi said:
texaswheelgunner":2wunoehi said:
I prefer .004" to .006" myself, but I do have revolvers (Smith and Wessons) that have .008" and even more that I shoot with no apparant problems.
So do I (prefer .004-.006"), having had problems with a revolver with a very tight gap. I'll have to take Flatgate's word for it that a well-made revolver like a FA can be made to work with a tight gap. I also note that the FA is a SA revolver, not a DA. :wink:
I can't fit any shim gauges, including a .001" brass one, into the "gap" on my new FA 97. I haven't had any problems with the cylinder binding, but I've only shot maybe 50-75 rounds between cleanings.

-- Sam