Cylinder reamer question....?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

skip

Single-Sixer
I had two cylinders reamed (.45 colt) and can see reamer lines in the throats... should these be polished out and if so what would be a good method to do so...? any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated...

Aggie01

Blackhawk
How does it shoot?

Any polishing you do will remove material and change your original tight throat problem to a loose throat problem.

skip

Single-Sixer
Good question...always shoot first....I just got them back and haven't got a chance to go to the range..I will shoot first before doing anything...thnx

J Miller

Blackhawk
How does the "after" compare to the "before"? When I had my .45 Cylinder done there were some tool marks in the throats, but not as many as in the original factory ones. Had I not looked at them before they were reamed I might have been concerned.
After several thousand rounds the tool marks have been burnished to almost nothing by the passage of the bullets.

I wouldn't be concerned with them unless by some fluke it doesn't shoot like it should. I'm pretty sure it will.

Joe

JNewell

Single-Sixer
The marks will not affect performance. Polishing could severely affect performance if not done very precisely. Leave them as they are.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
skip, Take a 4 inch piece of 3/8" dowel rod, cut a one inch long slit in the end 1/8" wide and put a small piece of #0000 steel wool in it and polish the throats out in a variable speed 3/8 electric drill on about 1/3 speed. That will polish out most or all of those reamer marks "without" taking any more metal out! It's just another way to "burnish" those cylinders. As a long time gunsmith, I have done this hundreds of times and have yet to "harm" a cylinder!...............................Dick :idea: