Cylinder question on my new (to me) Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tss106

Single-Sixer
These are closeup pics of the .22 cylinder from the New Model Single Six (1978) that I got from a co-worker. Pretty much the only marks on the gun are on these small "nicks" on the front outer cylinder area (pretty much all around the periphery) as shown in the pics. I'm thinking this must be from something other than dropping the cylinder a time or two, especially since there are nicks down in the fluted areas as well........., okay you revolver gurus - does it look like there's something else going on that I need to be concerned with? Is there something that I should have checked over? I've not shot it yet - the guy will give my 2 bills back if I'm not happy with it. Thanks in advance for any input/advice!

cyl1.jpg

cyl2.jpg

DMZ

Bearcat
Looks like it was left on the roof of a vehicle that drove off down a gravel road. Got ran over before owner realized his mistake and went back for it.

J Miller

Blackhawk
That's definitely steel to steel contact dings. I wonder if it was allowed to roll around inside the box and bang against the gun. Might check it for matching dents and dings.
They probably wont affect the working of the pistol, but they sure look bad.

Joe

welder

Buckeye
I,m with Joe, looks like it's been bouncing around against something else, maybe a tool or something. I wouldn't worry about it as far as working properly. You could carefully polish them down with a rotary tool and jeweler paste and improve a lot of the dings.

DGW1949

Hunter
Maybe from it bouncing around against something....like in a tackle box, or under a car seat?.....dunno.

Didn't see any around the collar or latch-notches though....which is a good thing.

You could draw-file and polish-off the raised edges....but the "dents" that's left behind afterwards will take a bit more metal removal. A labor of love, for sure.

DGW

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
A bit unsightly for some maybe but for a $200 SS Single Six, I'd still be happy. Just keep checking with the folks here about polishing those little buggers out. JMO :)

Chance

Buckeye
I have one just like yours and if I could find another one for 200 bucks with minor nicks on the cylinder like that I'd jump on it so fast you wouldn't believe it.

Hokie73

Bearcat
Those were not caused by the operation of the gun, and it is probably nothing but cosmetic in consequence. You bought a great gun, enjoy.

edlmann

Blackhawk
tss106":iggnkgmi said:
<edited>These are closeup pics of the .22 cylinder from the New Model Single Six (1978) that I got from a co-worker.
cyl1.jpg
btrumanj":iggnkgmi said:
A bit unsightly for some maybe but for a $200 SS Single Six, I'd still be happy.
Chance":iggnkgmi said:
I have one just like yours and if I could find another one for 200 bucks with minor nicks on the cylinder like that I'd jump on it so fast you wouldn't believe it.
Hokie73":iggnkgmi said:
<edited>You bought a great gun, enjoy.

+1 to all that.