Cylinder movement on Security Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob C

Bearcat
I just noticed a problem with my Security Six. When the hammer falls, the cylinder locks up tightly, while the trigger is held back. When I release the trigger, the cylinder can be turned back about one half way to the previous chamber with modest effort.

Is this a bad spring, or a worn part, or maybe both?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Bob C, The first things I would look closely at are the cylinder latch, cylinder latch plunger and cylinder latch spring. Check all three for damage, dirt, free movement etc. The cylinder should stay latched as the trigger is returned to battery with the latch rising slightly at the end of trigger return. Check also the "tunnel" in the crane/crane pivot assembly that the latch spring and plunger ride in for dirt or burrs, etc. By this time, you should be well on your way to finding the problem. Let us know how it works out.............................Dick

Bob C

Bearcat
I wasn't clear enough on the problem. The cylinder stays latched within the cylinder frame; the movement that concerns me is the cylinder being able to rotate the wrong way for about half way back to the previous index point.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Bob C, The "problem" still appears to be with the latch assembly being "loose" enough to not lock up the cylinder properly and allow the cylinder to rotate backward. What do the cylinder notches look like? Deep enough with squared edges and not rounded off excessively? The pawl only comes into play when the trigger is pulled D/A or the hammer cocked S/A. When you pull the trigger group assembly check to make sure the trigger is in the proper forward battery position. The forward protrusion on the trigger initiates the cylinder latch when the trigger is first pulled....................Dick

Bob C

Bearcat
Taking Pinecone's advice, I checked and cleaned the cylinder latch, cylinder latch plunger and cylinder latch spring and their 'tunnel". All was OK. I next went through the trigger group, including the return spring.

Next step was a closer examination of the cylinder latch, and it appeared to have been polished or honed. I replaced it with a new one, and everything is working great now.

I can only guess it was done in an attempt to smooth the action, or something.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Bob C, Glad you got the problem solved. A big part of my business when I was gunsmithing professionally was "undoing" others attempts to make something "better"! Good job analyzing the problem...................Dick :wink:

DGW1949

Hunter
Pinecone":2j5ylw5k said:
Bob C, Glad you got the problem solved. A big part of my business when I was gunsmithing professionally was "undoing" others attempts to make something "better"! Good job analyzing the problem...................Dick :wink:

I don't pretend to be nearly as smart, nor experienced as Pinecone...and I aint a gunsmith by any stretch.
Having said all that though....I'll second everything he said.

I've seen and/or "fixed" enough guns due to them previously had an "action job" that words/phrases like "tuned", "smoothed up", "slicked up", "lightened" and "trigger job" always sends up a red flag..... And particularly if I hear them used to describe a gun that I'm looking to possably buy.
I much prefer "untouched" and "unmolested". ....that way, if there's any screwing-up to be done, I can do it myself. :lol: .

Good job on the "fix" Bob C .

DGW