Cylinder face on my Single Six has a ding. How to fix it?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wesm

Bearcat
I picked up a 1982 Single Six convertible from a pawn shop yesterday. After reading how the bores are oversized slightly to fit a .22 WMR bullet, I decided to test mine. I grabbed a .223 round and the bullet slid in all the way to the casing in 11 of my 12 cylinder throats.

On the one cylinder throat where I noticed the bullet stopped short, I realized there was a ding in the face of the cylinder at the throat cut. If you look close you can see the ding in the bottom left chamber throat face:

So what should I do to fix this? Haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet but I can't help but think it will affect accuracy some. This is on the .22lr cylinder. Should I send it to Ruger to be reamed? Find a local gunsmith with a .224 reamer? Break out the needle file and try to take it out myself? I have intentions of shooting .22lr 95+% of the time in this gun, so I want it to be accurate.

I had a similar thing on a cylinder, and I fixed it myself. It was a very slight little deformity and I decided to see if I could handle it.

I took a very tiny round file and very carefully worked on the deformity, giving it a couple of light strokes, then checking with a bullet as you have. I did this until the bullet slipped into the chamber mouth just as in the others. I was very careful to keep the filing "round" and not to gouge the inner surfaces of the chanber. Worked great and I notice no difference in accuracy from that chamber.

I'm certain a proper reamer would be the best way to go, but with a good file and a lot of patience this worked OK for me. Obviously I cannot recommend you attack your cylinder with a file . . . and certainly not with a Dremel.

;)

fairly easy as 'ale-8' said, and I would face it off myself by hand in a drill press, a machinist would use a lathe, piece of cake, and just "remark" the last 3 digit of the guns serial numbers...........
bottom line simply "deburr " it with a round 'fine' file......even a small curved or half round would do. could have done it in the time it took to type this out..... :roll: 8) :wink:

wesm

Bearcat
Thanks guys, I'm not much of a gunsmith and wanted some reassurance before I took a file to my new gun. You're right, a few light strokes with a round needle file was all it took.

wesm

Bearcat
Ale-8(1), have to say I like your username. I grew up in MS but my dad is from Kentucky and when I would go visit my grandparents as a kid, I always thought Ale-8(1)s were a novelty. My brother moved to Lexington last year and when he came down for Christmas he brought some. Brought back lots of fond childhood memories. :)