Cylinder Binding on Security Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

foolproofoak

Bearcat
Hi all, I'm new here. I usually frequent the S&W forum, but i have recently fallen in love with rugers. That being said, my first ruger revolver purchase was a 2 3/4" blued Security Six. I really love the gun, but when i shoot it the cylinder binds and will not rotate. When the gun is cool it will cycle just fine with snap caps or ammo or whatever. I have tried cleaning it to the point that it is spotless, which is awesome since it can be field stripped. I have tried different types of ammo, and nothing seems to work. Does anyone know what would cause this, and how much do you think it would cost to have ruger look at it. Thanks for the help.

foolproofoak":3o5m9gs1 said:
Hi all, I'm new here. I usually frequent the S&W forum, but i have recently fallen in love with rugers. That being said, my first ruger revolver purchase was a 2 3/4" blued Security Six. I really love the gun, but when i shoot it the cylinder binds and will not rotate. When the gun is cool it will cycle just fine with snap caps or ammo or whatever. I have tried cleaning it to the point that it is spotless, which is awesome since it can be field stripped. I have tried different types of ammo, and nothing seems to work. Does anyone know what would cause this, and how much do you think it would cost to have ruger look at it. Thanks for the help.

Welcome to the forum.

Without looking at your gun...

Ruger DA revolvers are especially prone to grinding to a halt, with just one kernel of powder under the extractor star. I know you said you've cleaned it well, but try taking one more minute, and brushing out the area under the extractor.

Also, make sure the ejector plunger/rod is screwed in tightly.

Then, in the meantime, there will be other suggestions. :wink:

WAYNO.

foolproofoak

Bearcat
Thanks for the advice, but powder under the star was my first guess and i cleaned that area and blew it with compressed area and cleaned it some more and some more so that's a no go. My second thought was the ejector rod backing out, but that wasn't it either. Again, thanks, though, i really love this gun and want it to work.

Mtn Biker

Bearcat
I have had the spring loaded plunger in the cylinder base pin stick down and cause the transfer bar to catch on the firing pin on one of my old singles. Might be worth a look.

VL

trgrhppy

Bearcat
A long time ago, the barrel-cylinder gap on my Security Sis disappeared. My cylinder would still turn, if it had gotten worse, it would have ground to a halt. I sent it back to Ruger, and they fixed it free of charge.
trgrhppy

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
Another thought is to check your headspace. I've had one or two bind up after shooting and heating them up...the headspace was so tight to begin with that after the metal got hot and expanded, the cartridge rims would be binding up against the recoil plate/recoil shield, thereby causing the cylinder to bind up.

Latest posts