Cutting down a GP100 barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BeagleDog

Blackhawk
I have a 6" SS 1/2 lug in .357. I've been toying with the idea off having it cut down to 4 1/4". I was looking for any input on possible downsides. The only thing I can think of offhand is I'm guessing the sight radius would change. Would that necessitate changing the sight or would it not make that much difference? Any other things I should think of?

Also, is there a rule of thumb for velocity changes to see what I would expect for 6", to 5", to 4" etc?

Thanks

revhigh

Hawkeye
The absolute best way to do what you want to accomplish, is to sell/trade your 6 incher, and get a 4 incher. The 4 inch gun is equally accurate as the 6 inch gun from the examples I've seen. Why mess with gunsmithing when you can have what you want TOMMORROW ?

Oh ... you asked for the downside ?? COST. Ruger already makes what you want ... just buy one !! :D

REV

BeagleDog

Blackhawk
Well from what I can tell, Ruger does not make a 1/2 lug 4" anymore and the 4" is also a fixed site. If I'm wrong please let me know. My gunsmith said he could do it for about $100 so I didn't think that was to much to get all 3 features I want - a shorter barrel, adjustable sights, and a 1/2 lug. I'm just trying to find out if there are any downsides from a "mechanical" standpoint and what I should be looking for from the gunsmith to make sure HE'S touching all bases. I don't know much about guns and the only thing that I can think of is it would need a new crown. Other than that I don't have the faintest idea

I also would love to know the answer whether there is a rule of thumb for the velocity changes between different barrel lengths. I found a few articles comparing long guns versus handguns but none on handgun lengths only.

Aggie01

Blackhawk
Once you evaluate the cost of shipping the gun to a smith and back, + the cost of the work, (don't forget it's extra labor intensive to recrown a forged ruger barrel - per H. Bowen's "The Custom Revolver"), plus the cost of either a custom sight base or a lot of machine work to use the factory sights - you can have two guns. Keep yours and buy another.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Oops, I missed the 1/2 lug part ... sorry. Ruger makes 4 inch barrels with adjustable sights, in fact, MOST are AS, but, as you also know, MOST are full lug as well. I guess that's a pretty good price for that work, but the front sight will most likely be applied differently, without the easy interchangeability of the standard GP.

Hey, if you have to have a 1/2 lug, go for it ! I happen to like the full lug FAR better than the 1/2 lug guns. I think the 1/2 lug guns look kind of wimpy, unlike the beefy full lug GP. But that's just personal choice !

Post some pics if you get it done !

No mechanical issues at all.

REV

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
You could put up an add in the classifieds for a trade, but all said and done that will cost you close to what your gunsmith is offering to do the job for. If you have the barrel cut down you still have a gun that you are very familiar with. I've had a few barrels cut down and my local smiths always did a good job, no need to send the gun out.

As far as loss of velocity, from what I have seen, you can knock about 10 to 20 fps off for every inch you cut off. this also depends on the load, powder used, bullet, and so on. The only thing you may notice is the shorter sight radius. A taller front site may be needed to keep from having to crank the rear sight clear down.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Kinda funny because the only way I'd buy a GP is if I got the 6" and whacked it back to 4" or 5" to get rid of that funky angled cut at the muzzle and Ruger's front sight. Much rather have Weigand's interchangeable front sight system that I can actually buy different styles and heights of blades for. Couple it with a Bowen target rear. Might do that if they offer the .327 in a longer length.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
There are a ton of 4" GPs out there. I bet you could do a trade for your 6" gun and then all you would need to do is have part of the underlug cut off to make exactly what you want. :D

...Jimbo