Customizing Your Ruger Revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

whichwatch

Blackhawk
If you were to take one of your Ruger revolvers, single, or double action, it doesn't matter and customize it, what would you do to it?
Let's really get wild and say money is no object, you can build what you want. Me, I think I'd take my SBH, or buy another one and convert it to .454 Casull, leaving the factory grip frame just like it is, I do not care for the Bisley frame. Probably covert it to 5 shot cylinder with 4 5/8" barrel and fiber optic sights. I think it would be the perfect big/dangerous game backup gun, or even a primary gun for that. I've looked at .475 and .500 Linebaugh but think the .454 is enough for me and what I may at some point get into.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I'd take this:

50th%20.44%20-%20002.JPG

And turn it into this:

IMG_8980b.jpg

MaxP

Buckeye
whichwatch said:
If you were to take one of your Ruger revolvers, single, or double action, it doesn't matter and customize it, what would you do to it?
Let's really get wild and say money is no object, you can build what you want. Me, I think I'd take my SBH, or buy another one and convert it to .454 Casull, leaving the factory grip frame just like it is, I do not care for the Bisley frame. Probably covert it to 5 shot cylinder with 4 5/8" barrel and fiber optic sights. I think it would be the perfect big/dangerous game backup gun, or even a primary gun for that. I've looked at .475 and .500 Linebaugh but think the .454 is enough for me and what I may at some point get into.

Moving up in caliber has its consequences with regards to recoil. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the Bisley as an option as it is far and away the most popular grip frame when heavy recoil is up to bat. Ruger chose the Bisley for the .454 and .480 for a reason. That said, I like banded 5 1/2-inch barrel make it a Krieger. I prefer carbon steel to stainless, and if we are truly going wild, let's send it to Turnbull for color case hardening. I want the action blocked, the cylinder line-bored and I want my cylinder counter-bored as well. I also want a free-wheeling pawl. I want the trigger to break cleanly at right about 2-lbs. An oversized base pin is a must as is a Bowen Target rear sight and a hardened base pin latch assembly. The front sight is a matter of personal preference but I like an interchangeable blade system which gives you real option when moving up in bullet weight and/or speed. Custom grips are an absolute must as they have to truly fit my hand - which mitigates recoil. Lastly, make mine a .500 Linebaugh or JRH.

Or this:

DSC_0147.jpg

To this: :mrgreen:

Picture001-1.jpg

Rclark

Hunter
Now that's a thing of beauty Max... I think, I'd stick with .45 Colt, but everything else.... YES! Someday!

s4s4u

Hunter
I'd like to take a SRH Alaskan and have the shroud chopped off and barreled thusly:

With a 5 shot cylinder chambered in 500 Special.

MaxP

Buckeye
Rclark said:
Now that's a thing of beauty Max... I think, I'd stick with .45 Colt, but everything else.... YES! Someday!

Thank you!

Or this:

P1000369.jpg

To this:

_VJR1798.jpg

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I'd be sending my SP101 and Alaskan to Gemini Customs and ask for the works.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2016/3/7/gemini-customs-ruger-super-redhawk/

If you really want to get ideas for customizing a Ruger revolver, go to Lee Martin's Single Action site and look up the Handgun Blueprint thread. It will make your head spin! Some of those fruitcakes even customize Ruger Maximums or old model flat tops! :D