custom work

Help Support Ruger Forum:

catfish621

Single-Sixer
I have a stainless blackhawk that has been drilled and tapped for scope mounts. I would like to reverse this and have barrel shortened and a few other things. Should I go with somebody like Clements or Gallagher or someone less known? Any suggestions? I live in No. Virginia.

flatgate

Hawkeye
So, you want the holes welded up or ?

Of course, using the services of the very competent gunsmith is a wise choice.

JMHO,

flatgate

catfish621

Single-Sixer
I guess what I'm asking is does anyone know a local gunsmith that can do this work or should I stick with a bigger name.

redoktober

Bearcat
is right there in Woodlawn. Give 'em a call. I live in MD and have thought about contacting them to see how much they charge for a basic trigger or action job for either a Blackhawk, Redhawk or GP 100.

raven5

Bearcat
You know, you could just add some flush mounted screws to those holes and save yourself some money. Not knocking the welding; just a thought. Harton does some awesome welding work as well.

Boxhead

Blackhawk
If welding is involved there are only two men I would consider, Alan Harton and Jim Stroh. Give each a call and pick the one that meets your cost and schedule desires.

JHRosier

Single-Sixer
If you have the screw holes welded, there still may be a "fusion line" where the new material meets the old material.
I would talk to a good gunsmith like David Clements to learn what the results might look like.

Jack

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
I would sell the gun and buy a new one without holes and go from there. It doesn't matter how good of a welder the person is, you will be able to see the welds I think.

REP1954

Blackhawk
Spot color matching after welding will hide the weld marks on all but the brightess finishes. Stainless is more weld friendly than carbon steels and when done by experts a good job is a sure thing.

Knuckles

Buckeye
Put some stainless screws in and be done with that part of the project.

If you really can't live with the tap-holes, get rid of it.
JMHO :wink:

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
The problem(s) with having work done by top name smiths is you have to be both rich and patient. Sending the gun off is going to add $150 in shipping charges (to/from), or darn close to it. Add in the amount of work you want done (and remember you're paying "craftsman" rates), and you could be looking at a lot more money than it would cost to simply sell what you have and get a more suitable piece. You might also have to wait 18 months in the queue with one of the bigger names.

-- Sam

catfish621

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all the replies. I've got plug screws in it now and while they're not terrible I thought I would just get them filled. I want to go from 7 1/2 to 5 1/2 .45. The 5 1/2 stainless are hard to find.

REP1954

Blackhawk
If your having other work done on the gun already the shipping is already covered.