Custom Work

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eb641

Bearcat
Just a couple questions:........Who does the forum recommend for the following type work? Polishing out a satin stainless Super blackhawk to bright stainless... Slicking up actions on late models. Perhaps cutting down the anniversary flat top .44 magnum to 4&5/8ths? I know where to go for my Colts but have no idea who does the best ruger custom work. Any advice would be helpful....Thanks

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Have had three done by Gallagher and will have a couple more heading his way at some point this yr hopefully.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I'd not hesitate to "shine" up the Super at home. All it takes is some simple ideas and some "elbow grease".

Slicking up the actions is also rather elementary. Rule One; do not alter Factory dimensions on critical surfaces. Rule Two; reduce friction. Believe me there are MANY places that can use some help. I'll clean the lockwork with non-toxic Brake Clean then "paint" the obvious friction surfaces with a black or blue felt tipped pen. Cycle the lockwork a few times and dig in...

JMHO,

flatgate

eb641

Bearcat
Who's Gallagher? Also I'm not interested in doing the work myself. I'd like to have working firearms when the work is done....LOL

umaggb

Bearcat
eb641":2vper0cj said:
Just a couple questions:........Who does the forum recommend for the following type work? Polishing out a satin stainless Super blackhawk to bright stainless... Slicking up actions on late models. Perhaps cutting down the anniversary flat top .44 magnum to 4&5/8ths? I know where to go for my Colts but have no idea who does the best ruger custom work. Any advice would be helpful....Thanks

EB641
I can understand your reluctance to tackle entailed gunsmithing procedures. You would do yourself a disservice if you did not consider what actually is entailed in "slicking up'' that newly acquired whatever, and the considerable advantages to in house tuning. You can rival results safely and on a par with the so called pros....Leave your files, stones, motorized devices and weapons of mass destruction where they are. One slow evening multi task...along with TV and your beverage of choice ...assemble a big box of baking soda, lapping compound of most any manufacture but not to either extreme as to grit. A supply of Perc if available in your area and the simple tools to seperate metal from wood. A copy of 'Gunsmith Kinks' by Bob Brownell is excellent reading even if you never turn a screw. Then again, maybe its best not to know that an expensive semi-auto tune up by one of the best that ever lived was accomplished with Clover "C" grade valve lapping compound, boiling water, baking soda and a flat bit screwdriver. All in the time it took to watch Gunsmoke...

The cruix being, no disassembly to component level
i.e no lost,damaged parts or assembly issues. Surest way to get the old ball and chain to Hoover the carpet was to spead a bunch of small gun parts on a TV tray.

Requisite skills ......ability to cycle action, drink beer and watch Tv proportionately...oh and boil water.

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forum. Andy Horvath has done a lot of work for me and I will recommend him. 440-458-4369, that's near Cleveland OH.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
Personally I would find a local gunsmith I liked and have them do it. Beats shipping your gun all over the place and the work you want done is not anything too special. A good gunsmith can do all of what you are asking to be done.

eb641

Bearcat
Cherokee":2usce1ii said:
Welcome to the forum. Andy Horvath has done a lot of work for me and I will recommend him. 440-458-4369, that's near Cleveland OH.

.............Andy Horvath sounds good. I'm in Columbus. Does he have a website or email address? Thanks for your input

I'm with 'cherokee', give Andy a call and get any and all the 'details' from him directly,not second hand.............
and yes, what Flatagate says, is the 'truth' simpler and easier than you'd expect, this is NOT rocket science.......shortening the barrel is the fly in YOUR ointment... :wink:
( so two out of three, ain't bad........) :roll: