Custom Super Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

44thumper

Bearcat
First off, I am new here but have been looking for awhile. Here goes, I have a 7 1/2" stainless super blackhawk. I want to have the barrel shortend to 5" or 5 1/2" and grip rounded ,plus a action job. I am looking at Gary Reeder custom guns to due the work. Has any body had any experience or know what I can expect in his work?? Any other comments or sugestions welcome. This gun will mainly serve as a companion to my marlin 1894ss.

foxtrapper

Blackhawk
Gary Reeder has converted 3 of my revolvers and one rifle. Great guy to do business with . Have at it you won't be disapointed :D

44thumper

Bearcat
Thanks, good to know. Any sugestions on barrel length for packin vs. alround utility. Plus, has any one used the gun fighter grip treatment Gary Reeder does.

44thumper

Bearcat
I'm aware of what all Ruger offers i'm looking at triming down my 7 1/2 for easy totin. Just not sure on length, 4 5/8 seems to short. Not sure what 5 1/2 vs 4 5/8 balance diference is between the 2? Any sugestions. 5"???

Other than one 7 1/2" 414 Supremag project, I have had all my longer barrelled customs cut down to 5 1/2". For me, it is a great blend of balance and length. I even custom ordered a Freedom Arms in 5 1/2". I am sure Reeder would do a good job but I've had Jim Stroh, Hamilton Bowen, Alan Harton and John Gallagher all cut barrels down to 5 1/2" and do action jobs and they are all great. Andy Horvath does great work as well and he tends to be quicker than many of the other guys it seems.

Axehandle

Buckeye
Barrel length is a hard thing for someone to pick for you.... You need to get to the range with a buddy and shoot some of all lengths. Personally I like them ALL... IMHO the slicked up action, OS basepin, free spin pawl, trigger job and good sights will mean more to you than the barrel length. Sounds like you need to get that gun to Reeder and get on with it.... Get the custom front sight base he uses so that you can easliy change front sight blades...

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
...and ask him please to keep his name off of it. I don't like all that writing all over my custom guns, and my custom gunmaker agreed and even "lightly" stamped his company's name on my gun. Now there's a real gentleman for ya.
It all boils down to personal taste, but I would buy a stainless 4 5/8" and send it to Andy Horvath for round-butt and ebony grips and new front sight with inserts.
sonnytoo

captainkirk

Blackhawk
44thumper":2yf5o55v said:
I'm aware of what all Ruger offers i'm looking at triming down my 7 1/2 for easy totin. Just not sure on length, 4 5/8 seems to short. Not sure what 5 1/2 vs 4 5/8 balance diference is between the 2? Any sugestions. 5"???

I'm mostly a 4 5/8" kinda guy, but with the longer gripframe of the 7.5 super, I think the 5.5 would balance better visually and weight wise. That said, if you could try a few for yourself you'd have a better idea.

captainkirk

Axehandle

Buckeye
IMHO NM, OM, blue, or stainless, the 5.5s look VERY good... :D
005-23.jpg

001-52.jpg

As they have all said: barrel length is a personal choice. I have a SS SBH .44 Mag. with a 4 5/8" barrel and it is easy to carry. But I just got an original model SS Vaquero .45 Colt with a 5 1/2" barrel and it has a better balance (to me) and looks better. It feels much better than my 7 1/2" SS Vaquero .44 Mag.

If you have the money go for what you want.

Grampie not Grumpie

44thumper

Bearcat
THANKS FOR THE INFO GUYS.This helps. Looks like I will be going with the 5 1/2" I origanally planed on. I have shot BH"s W/shorter barrels , but hate the shorter grips. I have never shot a bisley though for comparison. So I will just get the grip on the SBH rounded a little aka Gun Fighter treatment.

44thumper

Bearcat
Axehandle, you mentioned a free spin prawl . Does this help with shell extraction ??

Axehandle

Buckeye
The free spin pawl will let you spin the cylinder in either direction when the loading gate is open... Makes loading easier and if you ever have a bullet jump crimp it is a hunt saver....
AND FWIW... I like Reeder stuff.. Even have a few... :D
002.jpg

003-55.jpg

011-7.jpg

001-40.jpg

I converted my SS Vaquero .44 Mag. 7 1/2" barrel to "free spin" and love it. I'm planning on doing it to my others when I get time. They should go easier having done one already.

Grampie not Grumpie,

44thumper

Bearcat
Very Nice Guns!!! Looks like you are into the bisley grip. How does it compare to the SBH?

44thumper

Bearcat
You all, are a lot of help I real appreciate the input. This will be my first custom gun hope to get it right. A belt mtn. bass pin was also mentioned, what does it do exactly ? Is it worth it? Also, what did you mean about the front sight base I was planing on fiber optic. Yes / No ???

Axehandle

Buckeye
Anyone who has looked for their front sight in the middle of the bushes, branches, ands trees will vote for the fiber optic front... The base on my Reeder guns uses the same front blade as my FAs... Fiber optic blades are available... The oversize basepin is pretty much standard with action work... It just takes up a little of the built in slop of the factory parts...