Custom Security Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JACJR1911

Bearcat
Hey Guys
Long time lurker - first time poster. My primary interest lies in 1911s (mostly Colt) and S&W revolvers. Over the past few years I've come to appreciate Ruger Blackhawks and Security Sixes. My gunsmith recently salvaged a Security Six that another well known 'smith basically ruined. I couldn't be happier with the outcome. My gunsmith has a blog and recently featured my gun on a blogpost. I'll let him tell the story. Click on the attached link to see the build from start to finish.
Best,
Joe
http://vicknairgunsmithing.blogspot.com/2017/01/now-for-something-completely-different.html

got2hav1

Bearcat
Great that you found someone who could straighten out that mess. Sure looks good now. Congrats on the save.

Poco Oso

Buckeye
The second guy sure had his work cut out for him. He did a fine job of bringing that one back from the scrap heap. I'm still looking for my Security Six. :wink:

mexicanjoe

Single-Sixer
Oh my stars and garters!!! Brother, that is one beautiful revolver! I am a sucker for custom( read heavy barrel) Security/Speed/ Service Sixes!!! If i had the money I would send my service six off!!! If any of you guys have custom or engraved six: lets see 'em!!!!

JACJR1911

Bearcat
Aeroscout9 said:
Nice revolver! Great save! You should send the first gunsmith the bill.
That's exactly what my gunsmith said. The really ironic part is that the 'smith that screwed it up has pictures of the botched work on his website as an example of a " Couger" (Colt + Ruger) conversion.

Tom-R2

Bearcat
Great job there. I've been a big Ruger revolver fan since the middle 1970's too. My first duty revolver back then was a .38 Ruger Speed-Six, the fixed sight one. Still have it, and it shoots like a dream.

JACJR1911

Bearcat
Tom-R2 said:
Great job there. I've been a big Ruger revolver fan since the middle 1970's too. My first duty revolver back then was a .38 Ruger Speed-Six, the fixed sight one. Still have it, and it shoots like a dream.

Thank you. This is the second Security Six I had my 'smith customize. The other one started life as a 6 inch stainless model that now sports a 4 1/2 barrel and many of the same upgrades as the above gun. I was able to purchase both guns for $300.00 each so even with all the work my 'smith did the overall cost was only marginally more expensive than a new .357 from S&W yet is customized exactly like I want it. I especially like the Sixes as I can shoot as many .357s as I want without worrying about shooting the gun loose like I do with my .357 S&W K frames.
Joe

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
I can't add anything....only repeat. That looks awesome! A perfect example of a "working" gun/packing pistol if there ever was one. Two bad that Python barrel was ruined but I've seen those "cougers" before and I think yours looks far and away better than any of them.

Dan

JACJR1911

Bearcat
BIgMuddy said:
I can't add anything....only repeat. That looks awesome! A perfect example of a "working" gun/packing pistol if there ever was one. Two bad that Python barrel was ruined but I've seen those "cougers" before and I think yours looks far and away better than any of them.

Dan

Thanks Dan - I think the gunwriter John Taffin coined the term "perfect packing pistol" and that's how I intend to use this one. It will get a lot of use as my woods gun and I'll be carrying it on an upcoming boar hunt in March.
My smith told me he could salvage the Python barrel as long as I was OK with a 4 inch tube rather than a 6. If I can find another reasonably priced Security Six I may take him up on it at some point down the road.
Best,
Joe