Current values on Ruger Old Army's? Need to sell one of mine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
With Ruger now shipping some Old Army's in the $900 range for the most common variety blued, 7.5 inch adjustable sight models (the only ones I have seen offered thus far), has the value of my 1978ish stainless 7.5 inch adjustable sight model changed? I have four Old Army's, and want to sell one for money to fund another project (an AR 15 pistol kit in .300 Blackout kit, which is the best way for me to go).
We have a gun show in Cave City, KY this weekend we will be attending, and it will be a good opportunity to offer this one for a face-to-face transaction as I see very few offered locally. I seldom sell a gun, and want the buyer to handle and examine my Old Army before purchase so they can see exactly what they are buying. My beloved Miss Penny also wants to "try on" a few other models of .380's for size and such. She's most comfortable with an external safety model, which kind of only leaves the Smith Bodyguard, and I think a Taurus.
My Old Army is, I'd say, 90% plus and has a taller Blackhawk front sight from Ruger epoxied in place with the factory original in an envelope. No billboard on the barrel, sharp rifling, old style grooved trigger, high external polish and worn but period correct walnut grips. No box, papers or nipple wrench.
I checked several Gunbroker completed sales and see prices from $450ish up to $550ish, and am unsure what to price my own for the show. I'm thinking $525. Hoping for input from folks here with their finger on the pulse of the current market for these. In KY, it's a muzzle loading whitetail season acceptable gun unless something has changed I'm unaware of.
I'm well aware that "it's worth what someone will pay", and am not new to the process as a 50+ year shooter. But I respect most other member's here and their opinions. Wasn't going to post photos , but pictures speak volumes so I am posting a few.
Thanks as always. Don.
4NnkIhOm.jpg

2LftUbCm.jpg

SMrEyntm.jpg

aMAmGp3m.jpg

Tallbald

Buckeye
I certainly shall I know these particular revolvers are a niche gun that must be seen by someone who knows the black powder world. Some may say they can get a new BP revolver for $200 at Cabela's, referring to the Pietta brass frames. Very nice guns, but a different animal from the ROA. Don.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
As for Miss Penny, don't forget the Sig P238. It has an external safety. It is based on the Colt Mustang that is also has the safety.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Steelblue I appreciate the comment. But Miss Penny has a concern with cocked and locked carry, and I don't care for the need for her to cock before a shot. The P238 is beautiful. Penny has remarked before on the size, beautiful lines, finish options and ease of slide manipulation. But when I mention the carry options she admits it wouldn't be the best option for her.
Davg.inkc goodness. I must have missed those at $600. Could it be they are complete with wrench, box and papers maybe? I know there are prettier specimens than mine. But mine sure is a wonderful shooter.
thanks again folks. Don.

RSIno1

Hunter
When I was looking last year they were $500-750 depending on use and goodies included - most were missing the nipple wrench.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Goodness I had no idea Old Army's had gone so up in perceived value. Maybe the reintroduction at the $900 range did make the older ones instantly more valuable. Thanks. Don.

Rclark

Hunter
Depends I think on the buyer. Stainless 7 1/2" ROAs are not rare by any means (I have two myself). Now, $400 would be a very good deal on a good used SS ROA. $500-$600 would be the sweet spot with some wiggle room I would think. Above that, I'd pass it by without even thinking about it. Now if it was one of the fixed sighted 5 1/2" ROAs, that would be a different story. But as above, there maybe someone that would be willing to pay more.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Being that I don't have the box, papers or wrench (didn't ever have them as the gun came to me used from), I'm going to put $565 on it at the show, with some wiggle room. Still I'll have to meet someone specifically looking for this particular model. Thanks folks. This has helped me. Don

daveg.inkc

Hunter
There are blue models, in box, unfired that are $1,000 and up on GB. You know the 5", 5.5"? models bring $1200 -1500. All I see are high priced.

dakota1911

Buckeye
My dad had one when I was a kid. Fun to shoot. See them in very nice condition in the $600-800 are down here in the SW, mainly at gun shows. The more expensive ones have the box etc.