Current Production Blackhawk Convertible Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ADP3

Single-Sixer
I have a pair of P90's and am looking for a Blackhawk Convertible in 45 Colt/ 45 ACP to go with them. Do the currnet production convertibles (Black Plastic Grips and Internal Lock Variation) have an Aluminum Grip Frame or a Steel Grip Frame?
THANKS!
ADP3

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
I've got the blued one in 5.25

a magnet won't stick to the grip frame, if you know what I mean. the ejector houseing is aluminum too

one bonus of the newer model is the warning roll mark on the barrel is turned down to the underside of the barrel.

GaryA

Single-Sixer
The current Blackhawk Convertibles only come in blued and they do have an aluminum alloy grip frame. Generally, they have only been catalogued in blue but I believe that in the past there have been some limited distributor runs of stainless convertibles. I know there were some distributor runs of both blued and stainless .45 convertible Vaqueros (not the New Vaqueros) which had steel grip frames. I had one quite a few years ago and was a bit suspicious of the aluminum frames but I currently have a couple of the newer ones and have become a big fan of the alloy grip frame - at least for standard level .45 Colt and .45 acp. I think they are the perfect balance of weight and handling, at least at that power level. Mine have become my favorite revolvers., even above my GP. I consider my P90 to be supplemental to my Blackhawks, LOL.

GaryA

Single-Sixer
I forgot to mention that there are some examples of Ruger .45 Convertibles out there in stainless steel with a steel bisley grip frame and a 5 1/2 inch barrel. They cost a bit more but if you like the bisley grip and want the extra weight, it might be worth looking around for one.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
I recently got one. They have the normal aluminum parts. They are obviously a bit lighter than the all steel models but the biggest difference is the balance. A bit livelier in the hand for me. I don't mean that in a bad way. Normal Ruger 45cal cylinder throats on both cylinders. Mine shoots jacketed bullets and 250gr cowboy loads with no issues. I am going to ream the throats and clean up the forcing cone and barrel thread area before it gets more energetic 45Colt loads. ACP cylinder is nice to have if you also happen to shoot that in other guns and gives up nothing in accuracy. You can also load stronger than I would routinely shoot out of semi-auto. (I am not endorsing exceeding any published load data here). An excellent platform for working up loads that you will shoot in other guns. It overlaps lower end 45Colt performance using the same bullets which makes it a very flexible package. If there is a stronger 45acp platform out there I don't know what it is and I don't need it. I like it for carry better than the comparable all steel models and had a cylinder pouch made which holds the other loaded cylinder or loose rounds of either vertically right on my belt. Strong, easy carry, flexible power, accurate, all with SA fun. I like mine.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all of the replies. I appreciate everyone helping with my education. I see that Davidson's has now listed New Vaquero 45C/45ACP Convertibles (zero in stock) in both Stainless and Blue. So that's another option for me when Ruger gets around to shipping them. I think a pre-lock New Model Blackhawk is going to be first choice in what I look for, I've had beaucoup of them before but not in a convertible configuration so they are the Blackhawks I'm used to.
Best Regards,
ADP3

GaryA

Single-Sixer
Holy Cow! Thanks for the heads up on Davidson's. I've been waiting (and hoping) Ruger would do a run of 45 convertibles. Now I gotta look for loose change. Wonder if I can squeeze enough nickels to get two...?

GaryA

Single-Sixer
Now if they would offer a convertible .45 Montado...whoopee. Let's see, about a hundred dollar premium for convertible, another hundred for Montado...yikes!