Current 357 maximum demand

Help Support Ruger Forum:

71shooter

Single-Sixer
I have the opportunity to buy a very nice 10" Ruger 357 Max for $1000. This would be an investment for me, as I personally have no interest in them (I'm a 4 & 5/8" to 5.5" 44spl/45 colt PPP kind of guy.). Comes with original box. No gas cutting on the frame. Any informed advice would be greatly appreciated.

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
I have been looking for one at a reasonable price for a little while and haven't yet found one at a price I want to pay. On Gunbroker they seem to be going regularly for $1300 and up. There was one at the gun show I attended yesterday and they wanted a nutty $2500. So the $1000 offer price is good and sounds like it would be one that I would buy.

BUT if you don't like it and want it, that would tie up your funds. Guns aren't really a good investment if you don't enjoy owning and shooting the gun in question. They only tend to keep up with inflation.

Rob

Johnnu2

Hunter
I don't know about investing in guns, but I do think that in today's market, $1000 for a 10" like that is a very reasonable price. In the past, I've never had interest in 357 Max. in general and am not sorry about the one's I've passed on; p.s. I would have shot them.

J.

contender

Ruger Guru
The demand for the Maxi's is there. But only you can decide if you want to "invest." Here's a few numbers to consider.
There were about 16314 of these guns built. However,, Bill got pizzed at the few complaints about flame cutting and stopped production & scrapped approximately 5000 guns. That leaves somewhere around 11000 guns.
Many folks who want a "different" gun, use the Maxi's as the base for a custom build due to the longer cylinder window.
Through various discussions,, it's estimated that somewhere between 1000 & 2000 guns have been customized & are no longer a .357 Maxi. That leaves 9000-10000 guns out there. Maybe.
Then there are the collectors vs shooters.
Many are already shot,, and a smaller percentage of them are ANIB.
So,, as for an investment,, your call.

Coogs

Maximum
Actually the total production count is lower than 16,314......that is what info i had from years ago.......and always believed.......until just a few days ago........new info........total count is around 14,300......still with around 5000 "scrapped".........personally I like the price increases......wonder why?

contender

Ruger Guru
New info huh?
Fewer than the original 16,000 production guns huh? And with the scrapped ones,, the customized ones etc,,, it's no wonder they are commanding premiums now.

Silcott

Bearcat
I paid $500 for my unfired NIB 7 1/2" around 2005

I paid $1000 for my in the box used 10 1/2" around a year ago.

I shoot both of mine regularly. I drilled and tapped the NIB 7 1/2" for a scope about a week after receiving it. I'm not a collector. I only buy guns that I'll shoot.

Justin

Latest posts