Curious .. Japanese money

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I found these bills recently and was just wondering if anyone knew the history of them...

"The Japanese Government --- One Hundred Pesos" ?

they each have a serial number but no date on them... and they are made of the same material "linen" as our bills.

NikA

Buckeye
Japanese occupation script. It exists for basically any territory occupied by Japan during WWII. Same sort of currency exists for territories occupied by the US at the end of the war, though it's primary use was by members of the military as opposed to replacement of the local currency.

Well here is the thing that confuses me... I think of Pesos as Mexican but I guess that was used in other places too, but regardless I think of the term 'pesos' as of Spanish origin.... and so why is the script on the money in English?

Rogerthat

Bearcat
blume357 said:
Well here is the thing that confuses me... I think of Pesos as Mexican but I guess that was used in other places too, but regardless I think of the term 'pesos' as of Spanish origin.... and so why is the script on the money in English?
Was thinking the same thing. wrong language, wrong currency for an Asian country. There's a big chunk of history unclear to us.

bobski

Hunter
the phillipines was conquested by the spanish. its a catholic country. we got it from spain in 1898. the japs knew the majority of phillipinoes knew english since it was taught via the church. and...we were there remember? the death march?
we got run out but mcarthur took it back. and when he did, that money became worthless, much like money minted in the south was during the civil war.
we had military rule over p.i until 1946. remember the moro wars where the 45 cal was first realized to be better than the 38? viola. we were there for some time.
the p.i was a u.s territory.
we bailed the p.i out and ran the japs out. for that, they were indebted to us and we got along . we gave them free rule with a democratic govt in place. good or bad...any way you look at it, the love affair lasted until the u.s and p.i couldnt come to terms for continued military presence $$$...and then the volcano blew and we left.
the muslims want it badly. the christians and muslims have been whacking it out to this day for control. mindinaou is muslim. luzon is christian. (we have specops) advisers there assisting the christian side even now.

Thumbcocker

Blackhawk
There is footage shot during the battle of Manila of a Phillipine woman running, under fire, with both hands full of U.S. canteens. She was getting water for the Marines fighting the Japanese.

Phillipine civilians risked beating or worse to toss food to prisoners during the Bataan death March. They also hid containers of water along the route.

I guess it's kind of like the MPC military pay certificates. That they paid us with in Viet Nam. Even the coin amounts were paper money. Kind of looked like Monopoly money. I heard that when early people first went to Viet Nam, they were sending home for Monopoly money to use it on the native people there.

Latest posts