Crude but Effective

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
I discovered soon after getting my first SBH in 2006 that every one I tried shot high for me. In fact there was not enough adjustment to bring the groups down to the bulls eye.

I also discovered that there was not enough discretionary monies to afford a new front sight for four revolvers. Two SBH's a BH and ROA.

A few weeks ago I saw a post here on the Ruger Forum about using JB Weld to build up the front sight. Well last night I tried it. Using pieces of popsicle stick sanded to shape for the side mold and one of those honking big office style paper clips I went to work.

Well it worked great. Backed the rear sight out almost all the way to get get the group around the X at 30 yards. Only trouble is painting it. All I have are acrylic latex I use for cresting arrows. That seems to work until the #9 hits it. To be fair I have not let it cure very much. Just put another coat on and will leave it until tomorrow and see how that works.

Don't be afraid to try it. If I can do it anyone can.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I have a little Llama .22 automatic that always hit way high. I added onto the top of the front sight with J-B Weld and so far it's stayed on there for several years and several hundred rounds (I don't really shoot it all that much). And remember this is an automatic with the slide banging back and forth.

Keep Hoppes #9 off your sight paint. It will eat up just about any kind of paint I can think of.

J Miller

Blackhawk
To fix short front sights:

>I've had three replaced by gunsmiths.
>Built an extension out of scrap steel and silver soldered it on the front sight blade, then recontoured and adjusted it for impact.
>Replaced the entire front sight blade with half a nickle.
>Ground the blade off the sight base, slotted the base and silver soldered the new blade in.
>Switched out those that were dovetailed in.

Never have used JB Weld though.

Joe

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
I have a stainless BH with a pinned front sight. I ordered a taller one from Ruger - now I'm all set.