Cross draw holster suggestions?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dadstillsurfs

Bearcat
First post, so if its in the wrong forum, or whatever, I hope the Admin will fix it for me. This is posted in the Rimfire Forum too, but many of you folks seem to holster / carry, so I thought I'd ask.

My Single Six is a .22 caliber, 5-1/2" barrel that my Father gave me for my 10th birthday. It's still in great shape, shoots well and I'd really like to find a holster for it. I'm most interested in a right-handed cross draw holster, preferably lined.

I've been around the block on the Interweb, but not many leathersmiths make holsters a my Single Six, none of them appears to make one that are cross draw and offer a lined holster.

Is a holster like this a Unicorn, or am I not looking in the right places?

41Dude

Single-Sixer
First post, so if its in the wrong forum, or whatever, I hope the Admin will fix it for me. This is posted in the Rimfire Forum too, but many of you folks seem to holster / carry, so I thought I'd ask.

My Single Six is a .22 caliber, 5-1/2" barrel that my Father gave me for my 10th birthday. It's still in great shape, shoots well and I'd really like to find a holster for it. I'm most interested in a right-handed cross draw holster, preferably lined.

I've been around the block on the Interweb, but not many leathersmiths make holsters a my Single Six, none of them appears to make one that are cross draw and offer a lined holster.

Is a holster like this a Unicorn, or am I not looking in the right places?

Welcome. A lot of good people and info on this forum. Single six revolvers are the best. Wonderful gift from your dad.

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
The problem with cross draw holsters is some makers put too much of a cant on them; they become nearly horizontal; not good for retention. Suggest you get a straight hang draw for the other side and wear that on the opposite side so it becomes a cross draw.
As for a lined Single Six holster, El Paso Saddlery will make you a nice one, straight draw or cross draw.

Ethang

Blackhawk
Barranti and Simply Rugged both make great holsters. I have a Ted Blocker straight draw that I wear cross draw. I was going to sell it when I got my Barranti, but it still just works great.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

Robb beat me to it.

"Contact Mike Barranti if Barranti Leather in Texas. I have one of his cross draws for a smaller single action that I often use when riding in the hills."

Mike "Doc" Barranti makes some of the absolute best holsters to be found. I have a couple of his cross draw holsters & they are top quality.

mirglip

Single-Sixer
Suggest you get a straight hang draw for the other side and wear that on the opposite side so it becomes a cross draw.
That is the most economical solution and it's what I do. A Single Six is not a defense handgun and doesn't need to be lightning fast.
I never understood the popularity of strong side holsters. They are useless if you're driving or getting in and out of a truck frequently. Try to draw from that position and your elbow hits the seat back. Unless you have really short arms or your belt is hanging way low, your wrist and elbow are at the end of their range of motion before the muzzle clears leather. They are just plain awkward. Everyone I know prefers crossdraw. Why do they make so many strong side holsters?

HumphreyDaBear

Bearcat
If you don't mind an affordable, no frills, but physically durable holster, check out Craft holsters. I have some of these in cross draw for double action and they've held up for years. Not a looker, but affordable and durable. Didn't see a single six in 5.5 inch, but they list a single seven in that length…compatibility??? Lists at $85.00 for leather.

mirglip

Single-Sixer
Because that's the fastest draw in a self defense situation outside of a vehicle.
If it's low enough that you can get it out without awkward binding of the wrist, fingers and elbow. That's why Cowboys carried their handguns in a separate, low belt.

Do you mind if I ask the why of your choices/desires?
I carry my SD handgun cross draw because the job I just retired from was 75% driving. I still carry cross draw because I'm used to it and also, my right shoulder doesn't allow the type of movement required to draw from the typical strongside holster location. Cross draw has far more advantages than disadvantages.
Many 'experts' will tell you that a lined holster will collect dirt/grit and actually cause more finish wear than a good quality unlined holster. The determining factor is where and how much you intend to carry your heirloom Single Six.

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the Forum!

Robb beat me to it.

"Contact Mike Barranti if Barranti Leather in Texas. I have one of his cross draws for a smaller single action that I often use when riding in the hills."

Mike "Doc" Barranti makes some of the absolute best holsters to be found. I have a couple of his cross draw holsters & they are top quality.
I have to agree with this. Can't beat a Barranti.

iTMlb9zl.jpg

I note that some mention they sometimes use cross but mostly use another method of carry.

Now I get chastised because I frequently change my EDC. But except for very, very few exceptions I stick with cross draw.

I wonder if those who switch carry positions have considered they might reach for a weapon that is somewhere else.