Cross draw carry...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ConradM

Blackhawk
So I know that strong side carry is superior to cross draw... But I've started cross-draw carrying when I OC just for some added security. I feel much more comfortable if the gun is actually in front of me in plain view where it can't get snagged from behind...

Anyone else cross-draw carry from time to time?

White Falcon

Bearcat
I cross draw all the time. With single and double action. Most of the time I carry cross draw with the gun in between pants and belt, no holster. I find it easer to access.

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
I think if I were going in for some fast draw training I would use a strong side carry. Since my use is almost always restricted to field type use the cross draw is my go to method. Rides in the truck better and does not make my hip feel like it has a hot poker in it after a walk in the woods.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Cracker-American":3gzvgokw said:
I think if I were going in for some fast draw training I would use a strong side carry. Since my use is almost always restricted to field type use the cross draw is my go to method. Rides in the truck better and does not make my hip feel like it has a hot poker in it after a walk in the woods.

This is very true.

ConradM

Blackhawk
So I ran to walmart to pick up some frozen pizza's and this old man with his wife did double take at my weapon, gave me a big smile and saluted me... LOL!!!

Cholo

Staff member
Anything I have with a 7 1/2" barrel or more gets carried crossdraw. I find it much easier to clear the leather that way.

"So I know that strong side carry is superior to cross draw..." I would only say that if it's superior for you. I carry right front pocket concealed. If I carried a mid or full sized weapon, I'd try both and decide. To each his own...

ConradM

Blackhawk
Cholo":140d3jyc said:
Anything I have with a 7 1/2" barrel or more gets carried crossdraw. I find it much easier to clear the leather that way.

"So I know that strong side carry is superior to cross draw..." I would only say that if it's superior for you. I carry right front pocket concealed. If I carried a mid or full sized weapon, I'd try both and decide. To each his own...

Hasn't it been proven that a strong-side draw is faster? I'm not putting anyone's choice of carry down... Just always thought strong side was faster/better.

Cholo

Staff member
"Hasn't it been proven that a strong-side draw is faster?"

Faster for who, the one writing it? If Jerry Miculek shoots the fastest the way he does, and it's simply incredible, does that mean his style is the fastest for me?

Yes, I've carried handguns strong side and crossdraw. For me I've found it easier to sweep my jacket back with my left hand and draw the gun with my right hand where my jacket doesn't get in the way. When I've carried strong side (right) my shirt or jacket always seems to get in the way. If my gun is carried exposed and is 6 1'2" or less, I always carry strong side.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Cholo":1ph6ysaa said:

Faster for who, the one writing it? If Jerry Miculek shoots the fastest the way he does, and it's simply incredible, does that mean his style is the fastest for me?

Yes, I've carried handguns strong side and crossdraw. For me I've found it easier to sweep my jacket back with my left hand and draw the gun with my right hand where my jacket doesn't get in the way. When I've carried strong side (right) my shirt or jacket always seems to get in the way. If my gun is carried exposed and is 6 1'2" or less, I always carry strong side.

Look at it this way.. if you were for some reason in a stand-off with a BG and he was carrying strong side... who do you think would get the first shot off? Strong side can be fired form the hip. Cross draw still has to be swept around....

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
I read in an old gun rag back in the late 60's that SS and FBI had small amounts of buckshot sewn into the bottom lining of their coats. This allowed the coat to help you sweep it aside as you drew from the strong side.

ConradM":1jl1wi3f said:
Cholo":1jl1wi3f said:

Look at it this way.. if you were for some reason in a stand-off with a BG and he was carrying strong side... who do you think would get the first shot off? Strong side can be fired form the hip. Cross draw still has to be swept around....

Properly done, the cross dray does not sweep "around". In fact, if done right, you present a smaller target cross section than with a strong side, and firing from the hip is just as fast. Plus, it puts the weak hand in a better positon to fend off a grab.

One other advantage is that the weapon is much more accessable to the weak hand. If you carry stong side at anywhere past three o'clock, try and draw your pistol with you off hand. Ungainly at best, and down right impossible for some.

ConradM

Blackhawk
I don't understand... With a cross draw, the gun is pointing behind you... how do you accomplish getting on target without turning the gun around?

Cholo

Staff member
"Look at it this way.. if you were for some reason in a stand-off with a BG and he was carrying strong side... who do you think would get the first shot off?

The one who practiced the most and my bet it's not the BG.

Conrad, look at your avatar. You seem to be drawing strong side. Your bicep is not quite parallel with your shoulder. Now picture the same gun carried cross draw with the grip canter forward in front of your left hip. You're only moving your hand about 18"'s strait across your beltline to get it and if you're wearing an unbuttoned shirt or jacket, you don't even have to move it. Your forearm is also parallel to your belt. I find this comfortable. A gun riding above my right hip isn't for me! There's way too much motion involved and there's always that sweeping back of the garment covering the gun.

I'm not an expert of this in any way shape or form. When I used to deer hunt I always carried cross draw. Much more comfortable for me.

Try this, I have. Just stick an unloaded carry gun tucked in your belt strong side where it's comfortable for you. Make it accessible, not barely sticking in your belt or buried deep. Most likely it will be just behind your hip and the grip slightly forward. Sweep your covering garment away and draw. Now do the same thing cross draw. You determine which is fastest for you. It doesn't matter what anybody else says. It's what works for you...

ConradM

Blackhawk
Oh I've tried both extensively. I carry both ways also. As I stated cross draw makes me feel more secure in that there's less of a chance of a gun grab.

I just don't think it could be logically argued that cross draw is as fast as strong side. But that's the only real downside. Cross draw does ride in a car better as well as making it harder for a gun grab from behind.

Hi,
The length of the barrel also comes in to play-shorter barrel=clearing leather faster. I went from a 17/8 inch snub to a 3 inch .357. Boy did the 3 inch seem to take forever to clear!
Crossdraw can be made faster by swiveling the left hip(if rt handed) towards the target. The draw then is out of holster and almost immediately on target.
gramps

firebirdv8

Bearcat
I only carry crossdraw. I have tried using strong side, but the grip always sticks out. Practice what method you carry and you will be fast at it.

dowby77

Bearcat
I carry crossdraw most of the time,because I spend alot of time driving and I have a logical reason for this,I will explain (works for rightys) with a strongside draw while sitting in your car with your seatbelt on its usually a pain to get your weapon out because your seatbelt is in the way,if you wear on the left its between your lap and shoulder belt and is alot easier to draw,at the same time you draw you take your left hand slide it between your shoulder belt and chest all the way down to your buckle release and take off your belt. this allows you to keep your eye on the threat and not the seatbelt,then you can go right back to a two hand hold.Try it and tell me how it works for you.

s4s4u

Hunter
I just don't think it could be logically argued that cross draw is as fast as strong side.

I dunno about that. If you carry crossdraw, between 10:00 and 11:00 on your belt, all you need is to grap the butt and turn your body about 60 degrees clockwise while clearing the holster and squeeze. This is for close quarters, you are not sighting the gun, just shooting from the hip and is very quick.

ConradM

Blackhawk
s4s4u":290t8oop said:
I just don't think it could be logically argued that cross draw is as fast as strong side.

I dunno about that. If you carry crossdraw, between 10:00 and 11:00 on your belt, all you need is to grap the butt and turn your body about 60 degrees clockwise while clearing the holster and squeeze. This is for close quarters, you are not sighting the gun, just shooting from the hip and is very quick.

Just the fact that you have to turn your body means it's slower doesn't it? With strong side you basically reach straight down and flick your wrist... With cross draw you have to reach across and turn?

s4s4u

Hunter
It is all one motion, all in one direction. Strong side draw requires three distinct motions and direction changes. I can crossdraw in less than one second to fire, not so quick strong side. To each their own.