Crimson trace vs sights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Opus1792

Bearcat
Hello all. Just joined the site. I recently purchased a ruger lc9s for personal protection and for backpacking. Its my first compact handgun and I'm adjusting my technique from shooting my gp100. Im older and my vision is affecting my accuracy. I keep my glasses on and the front sights all but disappear with anything 5 feet past the barrel in perfect vision. I take my glasses off and the sights come into view and anything past that fades out. I've asked several local gun shops about crimson trace and about half say they're junk and useless in a stress situation, the other half swear by them. I'm looking at the xs big dot sights as well. Could I get pros and cons on both big dot and crimson trace? The factory sights need to go in either case. Thank you.

CoyoteHunter_

Bearcat
Try wearing some reading eye glasses with a +1.25 diopter magnification and see if that helps. The front sight should be in good focus and the target may be a little out of focus but you should still be able to see it well enough to shoot better.

One thing to remember when adding a big dot or crimson trace to your gun is that finding a GOOD holster that will fit the new stuff and the gun may be harder. And if you don't carry the gun (can't find a holster that works) then your gun won't do you any good anyway.

I had cataract eye surgery and have the same problem as you and I also thought about getting a laser sight. I can see well at distance. So beyond about 30" my eye sight is good. But from about 20" to my nose I need reading eye glasses to see the fine print on things.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The laser's red dot can be difficult to see in daylight conditions and, of course, is dependent on a battery. Crimson Trace lasers are very highly respected but may not be suitable for your backpacking needs.

vulcannut

Bearcat
Don't have experience with big dots but do have a Crimson trace on my original LC9. The fit is perfect and always functions. Some have some strong anti laser opinions but to each is own. My LC9 is my pocket gun and in a stressful situation I'll take any tactical advantage I can get. I practice with the laser and also remove the laser and strictly practice from the sights.

The laser automatically turns on when you grip it. There is no disabling it so that's why I remove it. Crimson makes long lasting good products so you can't go wrong. They make it with a red or green laser. I have red. The red is not as affective as the green in daylight but the red has a longer battery life, or that's what I have read so... not sure.

I carry an LCR, when I'm shooting that gun at the range I don't treat it like a target gun. I practice from 10' to 15' away, I practice drawing it, I practice one shot and two shots, I practice shots on multiple targets, I practice shooting on the move(sideways and backwards), I practice, practice, practice. I practice so much with it that I could grind the sights off and I'm sure I would shoot it just as well. I consider my carry gun to be for close up work only and I practice with it so much that it just "points" for me. A laser can be a great training tool, I prefer Hi-Viz sights on my guns, but practice, practice, practice and you won't have to worry about lining up sights or hitting the button on your laser in a high stress situation.

If you're mounting a laser sight and you live somewhere that it is very bright most of the time and you have a hard time seeing the red dot, go with a green laser. The green shows up very well in even full daylight/high noon conditions. Yes they are a bit more costly but if you're going with a laser to help you, get something you can see easily.

grobin

Blackhawk
The lil has good advice. I had increasing problems with my vision due to cataracts and had the operation. It is well worth the money if that's your problem.

Otherwise with any electronic sight the battery is a problem! You can carry a spare, but if you are facing an irate pig it's too late to change it. Further to change it some sights require special tools and most sights require specialty batteries that are not all that common-you are not getting one out in the boonies. Unused spares can go flat or missing!

Lasers are fun at the range... totally useless in real life. And actually for the reason to carry an LC9 so are any sights. As mentioned, try reading glasses or progressive glasses so that you can focus on the FRONT SIGHT... in shooting a hand gun or rifle that is all that matters... every thing else is supposed to be out of focus. I know it sounds counter productive.... but it is how to shoot accurately... Focus on the Front Sight... the target should be out of focus.. Again in this vain, the ultimate reason for this is to get you in tune with the weapon and learn out to shoot fast and accurate with out even thinking about getting a sight picture.

Elric

Bearcat
vulcannut said:
The laser automatically turns on when you grip it. There is no disabling it so that's why I remove it.

The LG389 for the P85 MkII has the small on-off slider switch directly above the lanyard on the left grip panel. The Crimson Trace for the Mark II has a smaller on-off switch that is on the lower rear edge of the left (?) grip. Reasonably close to the irons, probably "minute-of-racoon".

I have irons for days, and the laser for low/no illumination. If I can't see the sights on the target, then all I got left is "the Force" unless I got a red laser dot on the target...

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
Opus1792 said:
Hello all. Just joined the site. I recently purchased a ruger lc9s for personal protection and for backpacking. Its my first compact handgun and I'm adjusting my technique from shooting my gp100. Im older and my vision is affecting my accuracy. I keep my glasses on and the front sights all but disappear with anything 5 feet past the barrel in perfect vision. I take my glasses off and the sights come into view and anything past that fades out. I've asked several local gun shops about crimson trace and about half say they're junk and useless in a stress situation, the other half swear by them. I'm looking at the xs big dot sights as well. Could I get pros and cons on both big dot and crimson trace? The factory sights need to go in either case. Thank you.

Opus,
I use glasses, I am 82 years old, and I have CT on my carry weapons and so does my wife.
You are not going to be shooting at sniper ranges, At best you will be shooting at
5 to ten feet. But remember, the chances of having to shoot a thug are minimal.
Get your CT, install it on on your favorite firearm, practice at 5 yards, and go out and enjoy life.
Blackie

SR1911SHOOTER said:
Opus1792 said:

Opus,
I use glasses, I am 82 years old, and I have CT on my carry weapons and so does my wife.
You are not going to be shooting at sniper ranges, At best you will be shooting at
5 to ten feet. But remember, the chances of having to shoot a thug are minimal.
Get your CT, install it on on your favorite firearm, practice at 5 yards, and go out and enjoy life.
Blackie
Blackie,

You are right on target!