crimson trace laser grips for SP 101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

widgeon

Bearcat
I am considering Crimson Trace Laser grips for my SP 101. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to handle a SP 101 equipped with these grips. I prefer the stock grips to all the others I have tried--they are comfortable and conceal easily. How do the Crimson Trace grips compare for comfort? Recoil absorption? Ease of concealment?

If you have other observations about the laser grips vs. stock grips, please make them.

Thanks.

mt

Single-Sixer
Recoil absorption and concealability are fine, just like factory.

I am unable to see the laser in bright sunlight but it is fantastic indoors.

I have big hands and I really have to make an effort to hit the activation switch on the front of the grip under the trigger guard, it's probably just a matter of practice.

For the price I can easily live without them.

Just my opinion.

mt

BearStopper

Blackhawk
I don't have the lasergrips on an sp101 but on a S&W 637 and they turn what seems to be a very inaccurate snubbie into a tack driver. It is very difficult to miss with it now and I am 110% sold on them for a snub nosed revolver. I have no problem seeing them even in bright sunlight.

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
widgeon":6simafo3 said:
I am considering Crimson Trace Laser grips for my SP 101. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to handle a SP 101 equipped with these grips. I prefer the stock grips to all the others I have tried--they are comfortable and conceal easily. How do the Crimson Trace grips compare for comfort? Recoil absorption? Ease of concealment?

If you have other observations about the laser grips vs. stock grips, please make them.

Thanks.

CT makes two different sets of Laser grips for the 101. One is like the original type, of a softer 'rubbery' material, and is around $269 or so. The other, a later version, is of a harder, plastic material, and is substantially cheaper; (somewhere around $170 IIRC). Depending on which you get, the 'feel' will be different. Having tried them both, my friends and I all agree that the 'softer' version, (the more expensive ones) are better feeling. Have not shot with either, but perceived recoil, if that is an issue with you, will surely be less with the softer ones.

gobe

Bearcat
I've got the 'hard' grip CTC version and the recoil doesn't cause me any concern. I don't think it would ever be a factor in a "social engagement". I have three CC weapons, the SP-101 .357 Mag being one of them and, since most 'social conflicts' occur in low-light conditions (the vermin usually only crawl out from under their rocks at night) I wouldn't carry a CCW without a CTC laser ..... period. Just take a look at the CTC videos and, if that doesn't convince you, nothing will.

Stay safe.

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
I agree with gobe on the use of a laser on a SD gun. I have them on several and really like them. I have a LaserLyte 'micro' on my little 9mm, and a LaserMax Uni that I switch back and forth between a larger 9mm and a 40 S&W.

While I can shoot a better group with the iron sights - given enough time - for quickly shooting a bunch, nothing compares with the laser-assist in my opinion. And if you must shoot from a 'non-optimum' position, there is just no comparison. Try shooting 'from the hip' without one, and then with one!