crimping dies

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bigboredad

Blackhawk
I have a redding profile crimp for my .45 colt wich seems to do a good job. I was thinking about getting one in .357 and was considering the lee factory crimp because of price. What is the difference between the redding profile crimp and the lee.
thanks in advance

flatgate

Hawkeye
I think the Redding die is a bit more "gentle" to the brass. I've but one of them in .32 and have the Lee FCD's in several calibres.

I'm sure a big fan of the firm crimp on "heavy for calibre" bullet loads....

flatgate

Rainman

Blackhawk
I'm an RCBS guy all the way- every set of dies- but I do own a Lee Factory Crimp die for every caliber I load that needs a frim crimp. They are awesome and put a finished look and functional touch to every bullet. I couldn't recommend them more and they are a real bargain to boot!

The only negative is the little red boxes they come in are a PITA to open!

Dan

J Miller

Blackhawk
Lee FCD, oh hum. You don't need them. Every set of dies I've got has a crimp ring in the seater die and that crimp ring will make as good a crimp as a FCD.

The only things the FCD will do that the die body crimper won't is swage a crimp into jacketed bullets that don't have a crimp grove. Something I consider of questionable value.
And they do make a serviceable crimp if you want to crimp in a separate step and not mess with the adjustment on you seating die.

Yes I have a couple Lee FCD's. I use the .45 Colt one mostly to resize balloon head cases. Well, at least I found a good use for it.

Joe

bigboredad

Blackhawk
I've read the test that J Miller has done with the lee and curious has anyone done such a test with the redding profile crimp? Like Flatgate i prefer a heavy crimp on my heavy loads out of the .45 colt the redding hold a firm gripmon a 340 grain on top of a stiff load of h110 and can keep the boolits from creeping out of the case under recoil

J Miller

Blackhawk
I've never used a Redding Profile Crimp die. It was the must have crimper before the Lee FCD came about. I suppose I should go and buy one to see what all fuss was about.
Heck, I just might like it.

Joe

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I haven't used the Redding die, but it's been well spoken of wherever I've seen it mentioned. I do have a Lee FCD for each caliber I load.

Regardless of how it's done, I've found better consistency w/ MY ammo, in MY gun, when seating and crimping are done in two separate steps.

As Joe said, you don't NEED a separate crimping die, but using one does eliminate the readjustment step required to seat and crimp in separate stages using your standard seating/crimping die. For myself, that's a selling point.

Rick C

flatgate

Hawkeye
Joe, IMHO, the "4th Die" crimpers are a waste for time for "standard loads" except full bore .41 and .44 mags.
I crimp the crap outta my .454 Casull loads and give my 335 grain .45 Colt "Ruger Only" loads a "cannerlure" filling crimp.

My groups shrunk considerably upon attaining a "proper crimp" on the "fire breathing" loads. Unburned powder has been significantly reduced.
Same sort of results with my "mid range" .44 mag loads using SR-4759.
The "firm crimp" resulted in much cleaner burning and subsequent uniform velocities, which usually equates to smaller group sizes.

I do give my 118 gr. .32 mag. bullets a "firm crimp" with the Redding die, as well.

flatgate

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
I like my LEE FCD because it is a fourth step. I don't trim my 45 Colt brass all that often and the fourth FCD step allows room for case length variances. I guess I like to be able to adjust the seating depth with one die and crimp away with the second.

I was a RED press guy through and through until I bought a few dies from the GREEN company. I really like many aspects of the GREEN dies, but still crimp with a LEE FCD.

J Miller

Blackhawk
Carl,

I guess my .45 Colt LFCD is defective then. I find it's just as picky about case length as the RCBS, Lyman, Redding, seating die crimp rings are.

If the cases are too long it really crimps them hard, if the cases are too short it don't crimp them at all.

When all the cases are the same or close it does a credible job as a fourth step crimper; that I agree on.

Joe

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
I usually crimp by feel versus by lever stroke on pistol cases and almost always into a crimp groove. With bottle neck cases, I trim each and every time, and crimp by lever stroke.

Enigma

Hunter
I use and endorse the Redding Profile Crimp die in .45 Colt. To be honest, that's the only cartridge that I have felt the need for it in to date. I do seat and crimp in separate steps, though.

I suppose I'll probably break down and buy a PCD for .44 Mag once I return to the States and resume relaoding.

bigboredad

Blackhawk
the .45 colt is the only one I use it on its the only one that keeps the 340 grain bullets in place under recoil

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
J Miller":251bkbmx said:
I've never used a Redding Profile Crimp die. It was the must have crimper before the Lee FCD came about. I suppose I should go and buy one to see what all fuss was about.
Heck, I just might like it.

Joe

I have one, but I still had some bullet creep with recoil, so went back to my Dillon and tightened up the crimp a bit. Not as pretty as with the Redding but my bullets aren't creeping now.
Sonnytoo

bigboredad

Blackhawk
I've never heard of anyone getting bullet creep with a redding pfc like I said it's the thing that could hold my 340's out of the .45 blackhawk

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
bigboredad":mio3qmpe said:
I've never heard of anyone getting bullet creep with a redding pfc like I said it's the thing that could hold my 340's out of the .45 blackhawk

I DID!
IMHO, getting bullet creep is darned near a certainty IF your sizing die doesn't bring the case i.d. down far enough to hold the bullet. Some smart folks say that you don't really need much crimp at all if your case is .446 or so for a .452 bullet.
I just went thru this and fought it until one of you forum guys helped me out. My sizer only got the cases down to .449". The manufacturer didn't know what to do. One of the boys here advised to use a .45 ACP die for my .45 Colt cases. By gosh, it works. .446". Works like a charm. I even sent an email to my die manufacturer customer service guy so he can help out the next guy that calls in with this problem.
Sonnytoo

bigboredad

Blackhawk
hey sonnytoo I have always used a acp die. When I first started loading for the .45 colt I read somewhere to use the acp die but I have no idea where I read that but it seems to work well.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
pvtschultz":1ae7ng4r said:
I usually crimp by feel versus by lever stroke on pistol cases and almost always into a crimp groove.

Yes, me too. But I believe that the initial sized dimension (neck i.d.) is more important in holding the bullet than the crimp itself. I like a .446" for my .452' cast bullets. Had to change to an ACP sizing die in order to get this smaller i.d. but I like it.
Dillon told me that with proper neck tension and NO crimp, you should be able to push the cartridge, bullet down, onto your desk and the bullet should NOT be pushed deeper into the case.
Sonnytoo