Creedmoor Hawkeye Predator's First Range Day

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dranrab

Single-Sixer
42.5 grains of IMR 4350 driving a Hornady 129gr SST, COAL 2.795 gave me this 3 shot group at 100 yards. By my imprecise measurement it's .35 center to center. Two literally went through the same hole. I think I have a shooter and a load. I need to adjust my scope a bit. Still getting everything set up.

DSC_0003_zpsz04clzjc.jpg

The factory loads gave me sticky extraction. How do you read these empties.

DSC_0001_zpsr24kxosl.jpg

DSC_0002_zpsdbzwnbuz.jpg

wwb

Hunter
Primers are definitely flattened a bit; also a little cold flow around the firing pin indent. I've seen FAR worse.

Sticky extraction might be a chamber finish issue - the fired brass doesn't look bad enough to cause it.

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
wwb said:
Primers are definitely flattened a bit; also a little cold flow around the firing pin indent. I've seen FAR worse.

Sticky extraction might be a chamber finish issue - the fired brass doesn't look bad enough to cause it.

Agree with this. I might do a little gentle polishing on that chamber. I had to do this on my Remington R-25 .308 recently and it seems to have solved the problem. Semiautos are different, I know, but it sure couldn't hurt anything. My extraction was so "sticky" it was tearing the rims off cases...
Ken