Credit card wallet-faraday cage

Help Support Ruger Forum:

longspurr

Single-Sixer
An item on the TV news about thieves scanning the new “chip” credit cards prompted me to look for my own solution. Companies want to sell you RFID resistant wallets and holders, but how to test to see if they are really effective?

My simple solution is a Altoids tin. Credit cards and my drivers license fit perfectly. I have not tested the tin, but I see I am not the first with the idea. Googling Altoid & RFID found other that have tested with their apartment scan cards & ID cards.

Get your new safety box at your local supermarket, and enjoy the mints as you repurpose the tin.

pete44ru

Hunter
Pat-inCO said:
Wouldn't a piece of aluminium foil do the same thing?

I believe so - I've long been using an aluminum foil wrap for my cards that have a chip and/or a magnetic strip.(I just slide the card out of one end of the foil wrap, to use.)

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
pete44ru said:
I believe so - I've long been using an aluminum foil wrap for my cards that have a chip and/or a magnetic strip.(I just slide the card out of one end of the foil wrap, to use.)
That works, but I was thinking more of a plastic sleeve covered with foil.
That way the card is not scratched, and if you put the chip end in first,
you are "covered". :D

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
I was in a local store (Fred Meyer) in the baggage dept and they had a card case that is a pop open that holds a few different cards, ID's etc that I use. Not that big and you certainly can't put all the stuff you can in a wallet but it handles what I need. I was watching the show SHARKS the other night and there is going to be a card coming out soon that you just add to your wallet and that keeps your cards from having the information swiped. Didn't cost that much but makes me more comfortable.

vito

Hunter
Is this a real issue or a hyped up fear? I have yet to hear from anyone I know or of anyone they know about someone's credit card info swiped by some electronic scanner right out of their wallet. I have heard of cards compromised when giving the card to a waiter or store clerk who takes it out of your view even for a short time, but not while it is in your wallet. My front pockets are already pretty full with my concealed gun, my keys, my smartphone, and sometimes a pocket knife without adding a small metal box to the mix.

longspurr

Single-Sixer
From Consumer Reports, the people that cut through advertising B S.

Shields or wallets marketed as RFID-blocking devices can make it more difficult for someone with an electronic reader to read your cards, but they don’t entirely block transmission of card data. When Recursion’s security experts tested 10 types of shields and wallets currently being sold to protect contactless cards, they found that none blocked the signal completely, and there was dramatic variability even among samples of the same brand

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2011/june/money/credit-card-fraud/rfid-credit-cards/index.htm