CRAP! Powder Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

810wmb

Single-Sixer
:oops:

aww hell, i ordered this powder a couple of months ago. 4lbs! all i am loading are 9's and 45's.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/p ... nique.aspx

i just got 1000 45's and 1500 9's in tonight.

i was looking at the recipes and noticed i ordered shellshot. it does say it will work in handguns.

so tell me, do i try to sell this to someone (my brother reloads shotgun shells) or just use it?

i have loaded 50 - 45's out of the 4lbs.

thanks

dougader

Hunter
Unique is a great powder for both 9mm and 45 auto. Just follow current loading data recommendations. Use it!

Several shotgun powders are also really useful for handgun loads... red dot, green dot, blue dot...

Mtn Biker

Bearcat
A lot of shot gun powders are also used in hand gun ammo. Unique is a favorite for many hand gun recipes. I use it quite a bit in 45auto, 45colt and 357mag. I haven't used it in 9mm but would imagine there is load data for it. You should be good to go. Be safe!

VL

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
Good pistol powder. I use it for light-mid range loads in 357mag/44mag. I also use it in 45ACP and will use it in 9mm when I start reloading for it again.

810wmb

Single-Sixer
thanks gentlemen!

being a noob, my heart sank when i saw "shellshot"!

Buckshot Bill

Bearcat
810, I'm guessing you meant to say "shotshell" instead of "shellshot"? At any rate, like a lot before me have said, Unique is a very versatile powder. It'll work for 9mm, 38's, and has been one of the best "go to" powders for .45ACP for years. Works very well in .45ACP with lead bullets. Try it and I'll bet you'll like it. :wink: Buckshot Bill

810wmb

Single-Sixer
Buckshot Bill":1g90e9yh said:
810, I'm guessing you meant to say "shotshell" instead of "shellshot"? At any rate, like a lot before me have said, Unique is a very versatile powder. It'll work for 9mm, 38's, and has been one of the best "go to" powders for .45ACP for years. Works very well in .45ACP with lead bullets. Try it and I'll bet you'll like it. :wink: Buckshot Bill

you are correct sir - i replied at 5:30 this morning...i was "shellshocked" hehehe

thanks again for the replies

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
810wmb":1a0uvdbc said:
i was looking at the recipes and noticed i ordered shellshot. it does say it will work in handguns.

Hi,

Add another "use it up" vote...

As noted, Unique is one of the more versatile powders on the market, if not arguably the most? I use it in 12 and 20 ga shotshells, .30-06, .303 British--and soon some other--rifle apps (for cast bullet "pop gun" loads), .44 Mag, .357 Mag, .38 Spl and 9mm apps. There are many, many more listed in the books.

Only caveat w/ pistol ammo is that Unique works a little better w/ heavier bullets within a given caliber, and likes a snug crimp, for cleanest burn and best consistency, on paper or over the chrono. At least "in MY gun!"

Rick C

One could make the statement that there have probably been more handgun reloads made using Unique than any other powder still in use today, without fear of too many disagreements. Heck, Elmer used it.

It may not be the very best for every chambering, but it will work pretty well in most of them.

JMHO

Rclark

Hunter
As noted, Unique is one of the more versatile powders on the market, if not arguably the most?
+1. I use it in .357, .44mag, and .45 Colt. If I was loading .38spec or .44Spec, Unique would be used there too. Before Trail Boss came along, Unique and 2400 were my primary powders. Now I use all three, Unique being the most used. Trail Boss next, and then 2400 for those few hand stinging 'medium'/'hot' loads.

A

Anonymous

Unique has been my main handgun powder for over 30 yrs. It's about all I use in handguns. There are better powders for to the max loads in the 44 and 357 magnums but unique will do very nicely for anything else. I also use it in my cast bullet loads in rifles like the 30-30, 30-40, 308 , 7x57, 8x57, 303 etc. using 11-15 grs depending on the cartridge and you'll get a good 1500 fps load in a cast bullet rifle load.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention you can use it for shotguns too. ;^)

SBH4628

Blackhawk
Bucks Owin":9p48nlsf said:
Heck yeah, shotshell powders get used in my sixgun loads all the time. SR 4756 and 4759, 700X, PB, Green Dot, 7625 to name a few....FWIW, Dennis
Don't forget Herco...Works well with my 429422 HB bullet

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
Aqualung":2vyql4cc said:
I had a can of 2400 that said it was "Rifle Powder"...

Just stay with the printed recipes and you're good to go.

Aqualung

Yep, I still have a can of 2400 that says "Smokeless Rifle Powder" on it. I've never used it for anything other than full house .44 Magnum and .357 Magnum handgun loads.
Unique is another one. Sure, it says "Shotshell Powder" on the can, but I've used it as a handgun powder for everything from .32 H&R to .45 Colt. And I don't even load shotshells.
There are probably tens of thousands of people in this country who drive "SUVs" daily. Yet the closest those people will ever get to using their SUVs for either sports OR utilities is when they drive their SUVs to the malls to buy "outdoor" clothing. Just because something's label hints at a specific use doesn't mean that's what you have to use it for. :lol:

Latest posts