Cracked M77 MkII laminated stock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kenneth

Bearcat
I've got a lefty M77 laminated stock that has a hairline crack running from the tang of the receiver back about 4". I was wondering if any of the knowledgeable folks out there know a fix or know of a company that can help. Many thanks in advance...

Pinecone

Blackhawk
kenneth, Welcome to the forum. You didn't mention the caliber of the rifle. If it's not a "big belter" you might just leave it alone for now. There are quite a few different ways to approach stock repairs depending on the severity of the damage and whether or not the stock is going to be completely refinished. With hairline cracks, on heavy recoil rifles, I usually channel a "V" groove along the crack and mix clear epoxy with fine wood sawdust and sometimes a "dye" to try and match up the original stain of the stock. Once dry, fine sand the crack with 400 grit paper and #0000 steel wool. Finish with a satin poly finish and polish out with #0000 steel wool. I would advise you take it to a local "competent" gunsmith for his hands-on "opinion" as a final thought! A good many hairline cracks are better off left alone to see whether or not they get worse, especially if the gun is not fired much....................................Dick

Enigma

Hunter
Depending on the severity of the crack, either a good epoxy or a purpose-designed super glue would be my choice for repair.

Lightly spread the crack apart and degrease the wood with acetone. Allow it plenty of time to dry. Mix your epoxy and spread as much as possible down into the crack. A can of 'canned' air used to dust computer keyboards can be used to get the epoxy down deep into the crack. Clamp the wood together with surgical tubing or wood clamps and allow to dry. You may want to drill a small 'stop-hole' at the end of the crack before beginning this work.

A paper towel dampened with denatured alcohol or vinegar will remove excess epoxy as long as it hasn't cured yet. Don't leave vinegar standing on blued metal, as it MAY etch the metal or remove the finish.

Brownells sells the Satellite City glue, which is intended for stock repair.

While you're at it, determine WHY the stock cracked in the first place and rectify the cause.

kenneth

Bearcat
Enigma - thanks for the response. I've had a lot of work done on the rifle lately (i.e. new barrel, recoil pad, glass bedding, free floating barrel channel) and it wouldn't suprise be if all the handling contributed to the crack. It is a thin crack that gets thinner as you go back towards the butt of the stock. In fact I can see where smaller cracks are forming about 4" from the tang area. I might give that Brownells product a try after I go whitetail hunting next weekend.

BTW, any other suggestions are welcomed as well....

Pinecone

Blackhawk
kenneth, With all due respect to enigma, I would proceed with extreme caution in trying to "spread" a hairline crack! I have seen the results of too many of my customers over the years doing just that and inevitably making things "worse"! Hairline cracks are just that, "hairline" with very little separation or "room" to make separation safely. "IF" you know the "depth" of the crack, then another method is to drill a small hole (transversely) through the "middle" of the crack depth and install an epoxy coated stock repair pin (Brownell's # 080-565-125AC 1/8" pin). If you "do not" know the depth of the crack, then the screw just becomes another "fulcrum" point to spread the crack in several directions under the surface! I have repaired countless numbers of stocks in 43 years of gunsmithing and believe me, these repair jobs can go "south" in a hurry unless you absolutely know what you are doing!...........................Dick :idea:

Enigma

Hunter
Pinecone":34aq4dol said:
kenneth, With all due respect to enigma, I would proceed with extreme caution in trying to "spread" a hairline crack! I have seen the results of too many of my customers over the years doing just that and inevitably making thigs "worse"! Hairline cracks are just that, "hairline" with very little separation or "room" to make separation safely. "IF" you know the "depth" of the crack, then another method is to drill a small hole (transversely) through the "middle of the crack depth and install an epoxy coated stock repair pin (Brownell's # 080-565-125AC 1/8" pin). If you "do not" know the depth of the crack, then the screw just becomes another "fulcrum" point to spread the crack in several directions under the surface! I have repaired countless numbers of stocks in 43 years of gunsmithing and believe me, these repair jobs can go "south" in a hurry unless you absolutely know what you are doing!...........................Dick :idea:

Pinecone is absolutely right! If it's a hairline crack and you spread it, it WILL get worse! His method is also a very good one; one that I've used many times. I would also add that if you have any doubts about your ability to repair this, take it to a professional.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
kenneth, As an afterthought, I think you hit the nail on the head as to where that "crack" came from! Perhaps the person doing the glass bedding failed to put enough "release agent" on the receiver and had to beat (drive out with force) the receiver out of the stock causing the "crack"! "IF" the back of the tang was bedded and the barreled/action has no movement when installed in the stock, then your hairline crack will probably not get any worse with normal use. Run a half-dozen cartridges through it and "see" what happens to the crack. Take "measurements" of the crack ("before & after").......................Dick