Coyote question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Saw them in Temple City while returning home late-night from grad school!
When We lived on Bruce B. Downs across from the Univ South FL Botanical Gardens, I saw one nearby on the campus one morning.
Um that's Tampa, FL for those who dont know.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Coyotes have been spotted in Beverly Hill, CA amongst all the million/billionares and movie star mansions.
Guess they are living the GOOD life. :D:D:D;)
Anywhere in SoCal is coyote country. We used to control them but the bleeding heart eco-freaks outlawed poisoning and most trapping. Now they attack children on beaches in broad daylight. And the eco-freaks, well, they don't see a problem.

BearBiologist

Single-Sixer
Anywhere in SoCal is coyote country. We used to control them but the bleeding heart eco-freaks outlawed poisoning and most trapping. Now they attack children on beaches in broad daylight. And the eco-freaks, well, they don't see a problem.
Darn those bleeding hearts!! Just because their kids and dogs get poisoned by 'yote getters and everything that walks or flies gets killed by 1080, how DARE they!!! ;-(

If all the trappers followed the laws and restrictions, they might still be able to use them!!. We had a (unlicensed) pilot spray pesticides on the local elementary school while children were playing. But hey, what's a few farm worker's kids, more or less!!

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Yeah I know. Sort of like taking guns out of everyone’s hands just because a few misuse them.

Goose and gander my friend.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
The 'yotes around here are getting crazy. For a week or two their serenade was just before dark.
They did that today just as the sun came up.

As if that were not enough, I run motion sensor lights across the front of the house, to try
and get them to go elsewhere. Last night one of the lights came on and there trotted a
'yote through the beam, as if it were not there.

If you hit them with a hand held light, they RUN like all get out.
Stationary ones seem less effective.

BearBiologist

Single-Sixer
Yeah I know. Sort of like taking guns out of everyone’s hands just because a few misuse them.

Goose and gander my friend.
If trappers regulated themselves, the gov't wouldn't have to. Always the few ruin it for the many!!! A few off-roaders get trails closed, a few scientists tarnish the image of science, "slob" hunters paint a bad picture of hunters.

How do you think the majority of people view coyotes hanging from fences? Since coyotes (like most canines) are cannibalistic, I seriously doubt that is a deterrent.

Last edited:

wolfsong

Staff member
If trappers regulated themselves, the gov't wouldn't have to. Always the few ruin it for the many!!! A few off-roaders get trails closed, a few scientists tarnish the image of science, "slob" hunters paint a bad picture of hunters.

How do you think the majority of people view coyotes hanging from fences? Since coyotes (like most canines) are cannibalistic, I seriously doubt that is a deterrent.
[/QUOTE

Most folks like to hang their trophies on the walls inside their homes. We like to display them in a more outdoorsy manner, where more folks can enjoy them. 🙂

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
I live in a beach town. We have a number of canyons and even several unimproved parks. With no governmental attempt to control their population (bleeding heart eco-freaks defeat it every time) no natural enemies (other than cars) and highly restrictive regs on killing them the population has exploded. Just like any animal species would in that situation.

They have seriously over hunted their natural prey. They have moved on to pets. They take leashed small dogs from their owners.

These urbanized coyotes have no fear of man. I mentioned that in the past coyotes have injured and killed children. Most call it BS until you show the newspaper stories. Then they say it was decades ago.

With in last few weeks a child playing on a beach mere feet from her parents was attacked. The eco freaks came up with all sorts of excuses including the old saw about it being the coyotes natural territory.

Guess what, humans have used that beach for thousands of years. I’d say that makes it human “natural territory”. The freaks make it sound like there were no humans here until the Spanish showed up. They also make it sound like the native peoples lived in harmony with things like bears, lions and coyotes. Truth is the lived in direct competition with them a killed them whenever the could to protect themselves and their food sources.

Anytime a predatory species attacks humans it must be controlled or preferably eliminated. This isn’t solely a human trait. Every alpha species has done the same thing as long as animals have been around.

Up here, a lot of people have llamas if they have small herds. Mules work well also.
I once saw a llama and a donkey get in a fight. Talk about NOISE, the donkey had it handled before anybody became stupid enough to try and separate them. Neither one suffered any real damage other than misc. scarfs and a few bites on the llama. Pretty sure the llama started it and as far as I know never did it again, the donkey chased it all over the pasture after the initial battle. Fastest donkey I ever saw.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I don't know of anyone running donkey/llama/dog to protect cows. Nearly all goat/sheep operations use guard/deterrent animals as defense against coyote predation.

BearBiologist

Single-Sixer
As far as I know, the Lopez brothers run sheepdogs to keep wolves away from their livestock-lost 1 steer in 20+ years. See wolves almost every day!

wolfsong

Staff member
My dog Girl was half Alaskan Malamute and half Great Pyrenees. HUGE animal, weighed better than 120. For her size she was deceptively stealthy and yet deceptively quick as well. A coyote killin' machine.

There were a couple Boskos who ran sheep in the alfalfa fields before it was plowed under for next year's cotton or corn. My Girl ended up being the alpha dog over the Bosko's purebred Pyrenees. She not only chased the coyotes off, she ran them down and killed quite a few. One, two or more; she didn't care. With her superior size and strength, and that super thick coat of fur, the coyotes didn't stand a chance.

One of the greatest dogs I ever had. The Boskos thought she was, too. Offered me some good money for her. No sell...

Ran my long loop last night and saw the same coyote twice, once heading out and about dark 45 minutes later headed back almost didn't see him that time as it was close to dark. First time last night he moved off the trail when I got close maybe within 25 yards or so. It's like he's lazy, sorta ok I guess I'll move if I have to. Headed back in he was in a clearing about the same distance off to the side of the fence line I was on, just stood there while I went by.
Be interesting to see if any pups are around this summer, no sign of any yet.
Did see a doe and the first two small fawns I've seen this season about three miles from the coyote.

KIR

Single-Sixer
Now that I have been retired for a while, slowed down, I have learned to appreciate life a little more. While driving in a sparsely part of town, Sparks, NV, I saw my first coyote. Sure, this is a desert area and I am sure there have been a lot more during the drought years, as even many crows and ravens have been flying in from the fire scorched forests. I always was the one to drive whenever my wife was still alive and concentrated on my driving, but now, I drive slower and even stop to take some pictures with my new camera. Yep, I have learned to stop and smell the roses, my wife's roses she planted long ago and the fragrance is sweeter than ever.
Good shootin' to y'all and stay safe!

Latest posts