Coyote question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Would it be likely for a large male coyote to live in the same area for what's going on three years?
Last year and part of the year before I'd see what I'm pretty sure is the same coyote on a trail I run on. Last night just getting close to dark I'd swear was the same one, he's big for this area and basically doesn't really have much fear of me. I get maybe 20 to 30 yards from him before he moves off, behaving the same as last year, will trot off a bit and turn around and sit, will do that a couple of times before leaving the trail when I keep closing on him.
I don't know if they're smart enough to recognize a human they've seen many times ( and smelled I'm sure ) as not a being a threat.

montana outfitters

Single-Sixer
they sure will stay in any area that offers ample food year round...........it's all about food and finding it, I got 114 coyotes just on this food issue one season just like our government will get us on the food issue and government support/ captive populous except we won't be able to move away like coyotes......Nixon had a plaque that said " when you got them buy the balls their hearts and minds will follow" were about to become coyotes that can not get away !!!!!

woodsy

Blackhawk
I believe that coyotes are classified as somewhat intelligent, at least. And after establishing their territories they would stay there, if only for safety and the chances of getting females. You say he's a big one, which to me indicates he has little to fear from smaller explorers. As long as he stays healthy (and un-shot) he should stay around for a while.
We have a backyard bunny who is also "enlarging", though I can't tell if male or female. Easy to identify by its discolored fur on left side, caused by some encounter in the past. Been three years now, and I can talk to it without it leaving until I get closer than nine feet.

hittman

Staff member
Great question for Contender.
Also may be helpful if your location was available. Maybe they differ from one region to another??

vito

Hunter
I was told that coyotes in New England have cross bred with wolves and more aggressive, and much more likely to run in packs than coyotes in the Midwest or Far West. Here in northern IL where I live we see coyotes occasionally. Although they are not aggressive, they seem totally unafraid of humans. I;ve never worried about being attacked, but if I am walking my small dog I always feel better if I am armed.

toysoldier

Hunter
It is not infrequent to see coyote/dog hybrids. One friend told of Great Dane/coyote progeny that were very large.

Armybrat

Blackhawk
This fox has been seen around our neighborhood for at least three years. Hope it continues to keep the rodent population down.
46575245 7DD9 4ABE BADD 2180D2643E29
FC48D445 070E 4120 A66C 3B9A163D0499

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Absolutely, coyotes are territorial and will stay in the same area as long as prey is abundant and guys like Contender and I don't get too tough on them. I would be concerned if a bigger than average coyote is so brazen as to allow a human within 20-30 yards w/o running away. Around here, coyotes don't often survive a 'stop and look' at 10 times that distance.

contender

Ruger Guru
It's been covered above. Yes,, a coyote can & will stay in an area with food & mates. They do have territories.
Actually,, I try HARD to kill as many as I can due to the problems they cause all around here. From killing pets,, to killing wildlife to the point of several species are suffering poor reproduction survival rates. I don't get too many who do the "stop & look back" thing. If they do,, Too bad for them.

isaactc

Bearcat
I believe Eastern Coyotes have long been interbred with EASTERN GREY WOLVES. Many Nothern tier States have discovered wolf DNA within their coyote populations. I understand that it is fairly frequent to see 45+ pound coyotes, while on the Southeest coyotes average 25- 30 lbs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. I live in mid Michigan and locally there are plenty of coyotes around and you don't hear many people complain about them.
That said a neighbor's dog tangled with and killed one a while back that I posted about. I'll shoot one if it's up near the house a lot except for the pups, i leave them alone.
The one I've been seeing is maybe 3/4 mile from the nearest house out in basically farm land with some wooded areas between fields. Creek running in it and a few swampy areas that have water all the time, rabbits, turkey, squirrel, and plenty of deer around. It's not an area where people are out much, private land where I have permission to run through.
Based on the size and weights of ones I've shot that were 35 to 40 pound range, this one's a fair bit bigger.

Speaking about rodent control... I have water dishes outside my glass doors for the rabbits and birds. Last week I saw a very large road runner walk by with a mouse in it's beak.

RCA1504

Bearcat
Now and then they make a mistake, then look like this, one rainy morning out the screen door at 75 yards in the back yard off hand. The 6 Mongoose bit her, she took a dirt nap.

Attachments

• FA51943D-C642-4CD1-9974-4E5A320A7476.jpeg
    FA51943D-C642-4CD1-9974-4E5A320A7476.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25

jimbo1096

Buckeye
I'll bet that if you pull your arm up and point a finger like a gun he would take off. Yes they are intelligent, but I still see them almost every day as road kill down here.

BearBiologist

Single-Sixer
Of course! A mated pair will stay in an area for years and will actually learn to leave livestock alone. Kill them and inexperienced coyotes will replace them, taking the easiest prey (livestock!).

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
We had a number, 4, in our immediate area. They were around until they were removed. In the past 3 or 4 months I haven't seen any. I'm sure some wil move back in, but they won't last long.

wolfsong

Staff member
Of course! A mated pair will stay in an area for years and will actually learn to leave livestock alone. Kill them and inexperienced coyotes will replace them, taking the easiest prey (livestock!).

Totally depends on food quantity and ease of conquest as to whether they "learn" to leave livestock alone, or not. It also greatly depends on the terrain, such as ag land or the wild hill country.

NEVER underestimate a hungry coyote with "inexperienced" pups to feed and teach. If coyotes are around, regardless of their marriage status, livestock is NOT safe.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Learn to leave livestock alone? If that theory held water the one's around here wouldn't kill pets and attack children on the beach. The only solution to a coyote problem is to eliminate the coyotes. As proof, since I have removed the coyotes from the canyon area behind my property no one in the area has lost any pets to coyotes.

Latest posts