Coyote excitement this morning

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Every morning I drive my UTV the mile to current goat pasture to feed the guard dog. Sometimes one of my barn dogs follows along. This morning as I was headed back, the barn dog took off in a full on chase of something into the 4' tall soybean field. I knew it wasn't a rabbit as she only chases rabbits/squirrels a few seconds and gives up so I pulled the 10-22 out of it's SkyRack and readied it for use. The dog would jump as high as possible about every 20-30' trying to visually locate her quarry(that wasn't going to work) and I kept track of her for 100 yards or so before she hit a sprayer track and quit jumping. After she'd been out of sight for 2-3 minutes, I decided to back up higher on the slope to get a better field of view and when I did, a coyote pup scurried across the path with dog about one jump behind. Under the fence and out into open pasture which was a big mistake for the yotie. Dog caught it and flipped it over maybe 25-30 yards ahead of me. I had a clear shot with the dog 3-4' from the coyote and a brushpile in the background so I took it. Coyote ran, dog chased and caught it again but almost immediately returned to where I sat. When I walked out to check, there was the yotie right where dog had caught it, shook it, and left it. End of fun--dog was ready to head for the barn.
This is coyote pup #2 that I've killed in this same spot so just guessing there was a den under the brushpile. I did catch a glimpse of another coyote as I walked up to the dead one but too many cows around to even consider shooting. Maybe was Mama Yotie. If so, I'm surprised she didn't go after the dog when it was chasing the pup. Anyhoo, I'm pleased with the outcome.

TDF

Single-Sixer
Good shootin'. Used to have a similar dog that would go all out after a coyote, and we had some wild.....similar......stories. Missed a few, got a few, but always kept the coyotes honest.

TDF

Hey there 'TDF', I've been through Seward. I think we were dragging some sort of machinery much bigger than should have been hooked to a pickup and were trying to stay 'off the beaten path'.

Got another yotie pup this evening. Suppressed 17HMR. Heard bullet hit and saw the little bugger slump before it scampered into bean field but I couldn't locate the carcass due to waist high soybeans and my dog wasn't with me.

Latest posts