Cowboy Guns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fred C Dobbs

Single-Sixer
The thing with Cowboy guns is you want to shoot the side matches too so you get a derringer, then you get a single shot for long range, then a lever big bore for the occasional long range bit bore gong match etc. These are all sold now. Arthritis has ruled out cowboy shooting. Not cool to drop a gun in a match. Great sport and fun.
The three rifles are a Marlin 1895 Cowboy in 38-55 and a Browning Traditional Hunter in 38-55 both super accurate. Added real sights to both. I could shoot long range with these because I upped the bullet weight. The Browning shot a 330 grain Hoch Nose pour bullet and I found a 300 grain Saeco mold that made bullet the Marlin liked. I figured the twist rates and put the biggest bullet in that the barrel would stabilize. Accurate Arms 5744 powder and also Blue dot makes a great rifle cast bullet powder for 30-30 and 38-55.
Also a Marlin 1894 Cowboy I had a guy convert to 38-40 with a Green Mountain barrel. Odd thing about this gun is I bought it used as a 45 colt gun and it never did have the usual Marlin checkering, came smooth.
The 73 is an Italian clone in 38-40. Most folks go for the bigger rifles but the short carbine gun is the sweet one for fast shooting. I removed the finish, stained it and refinished with Plinkingtons oil from Brownells. Had a lady cut the checkering for a little added class.
The American arms derringer was in 32 mag and although you would not guess, the darn thing was accurate. Both barrels registered really close at 7 yards. Slow for competition because of the rebounding hammer. Gunsmith polished the SS and added Ellen Hunting real stag trips so I could hold on to it.

Fred C Dobbs

Single-Sixer
Thanks folks. I did enjoy it. Some friends still shoot. One is a real competitor. He and his wife bring home the trophies. I was a middle of the pack stage shooter but I'm a good long rifle shot and won several side matches at 400 yards. Two standing. (big gong) Funny thing. I won once with the single shot and they let me take a non counting run with the Marlin lever. Got the same score. Loved those long guns. 38-55 is an amazing and very accurate round.
Arthritis is no fun. I did recently go vegan briefly. Couldn't stop meat completely so I do eat chicken, fish and the occasional cheeseburger. One important thing I discovered is that meat and dairy products seem to add to arthritis inflammation. I feel a lot less arthritis pain on veggies. So I put the smoker in mothballs for a while.
I forgot one pistol. Still have this one and the USFA with the walnut grips and two Marlin .357 lever guns. Can't give em all up.

I hope your wife recovers well. Had both knees and hips replaced so I know the routine at the hospital. No fun.

Fred C Dobbs

Single-Sixer
gunsbam69 said:
Good lookin pieces, all of em. I assume the last one is a Remington :?:
Yup. Uberti (I think)copy of the 1890 police model of the 1875. Barrel is 5.5 instead of 7.5" and the under barrel sail is obviously trimmed back. Lighter and more balanced in my opinion. Got rid of the lanyard ring.
My hands are big enough that I liked the old Vaquero grips but not the new Vaquero. The Rem has more knuckle room than a Colt as well. I like em. A friend shoots a pair of the big ones in 45 and enjoys the guns. Mine is 38/357.
You can see the hole for the missing lanyard ring. Something I didn't need jangling around.

j

Joe S.

Hunter
Awesome collection. I want a 30-30 and 45 colt cowboy some kinda bad.
Not to shoot matches. Just like the guns. Nice saddle companions

Fred C Dobbs

Single-Sixer
Joe S. said:
Awesome collection. I want a 30-30 and 45 colt cowboy some kinda bad.
Not to shoot matches. Just like the guns. Nice saddle companions
I used to have a Winchester CAnadian Centenial 94. GReat gun. All blue. did really well with Blue Dot powder and cast bullets. j

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
I like 'em--every one of 'em!

Really nice collection you've got. I'm envious, because I've always had a particular fondness for all things "cowboy."

Fred C Dobbs

Single-Sixer
Thanks Folks. It was a joy to own and shoot these guns. However the only ones I still are the walnut handled USFA .38 and this 1890 Uberti Remington .357. I got the TruIvory grips and fitted them myself. Tedious but rewarding to fit some nice grips to a gun.
No more large calibers.

Fred C Dobbs

Single-Sixer
win1894s said:
Hi love those cowboy guns . Who did work on 38-40 marlin? I was hopen marlin would bring one out in the cowboy.
I got the barrel from Green Mountain and Bob Shaw (Now deceased) did the work. I also found a guy in Montana who relined and he also relined another 45 Colt gun to 38-40. I sold it to a friend with the caution that it didn't work that well. Turns out there was a gob of epoxy which he used to install the liner was in the chamber area. I had missed it but Tom cleaned up the inside and it seemed to work fine. Not as accurate as the Green Mountain gun but fine for Cowboy work.
If you want a great 38-40, I would recommend a Uberti 73 carbine in 38-40. I don't now why but shooters seem to choose the larger heavier 73s but I found the cheaper carbine version to be a great gun and better balanced for fast shooting.
Here is a picture of the 38-40 I got from EMF I believe. Didn't like the stock finish so I removed it (Nasty difficult job) and replaced with a Plinkington's hand rubbed oil finish. I also had the gun checkered to make grip better and class it up a tad. Good gun but Uberti's have gotten expensive since I bought this one.