cowboy action itch....ideas, please???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
I have recently been bitten by the cowbow action shooting bug. Some of the symptoms include (but are not limited to): drooling over SA braces, sleeplessness, horse shopping and crazy gun trade ideas. Somebody needs to erase all of the episodes of the outdoor channel's "cowboys" from my TIVO before I loose my mind (and all of my money).

Question: Should I sell/trade my NIB, SS, 7 1/2" barrel, fixed sights, Ruger Old Army or hold onto it? The dealer, where I bought it, told me that they bought up some of the last ones that Ruger had available. I'm looking to get either a set of Vaqueros or New Vaqueros and I'm trying to figure out a way to take the "sting" out of the cost. I also have 6 NIB Ruger 10/22's in the fancy french walnut stocks. I have been considering cutting one of those loose too.

They don't make the ROA's or the french walnut 10/22's anymore. Are they worth holding onto or should I do some horse trading? I can't seem to make up my mind either way on this one.

I'm looking to get into a pair of SA's as soon as possible. Thanks in advance for all of your ideas.

cowboydave

Single-Sixer
Here's my take on it. Life is to short. Sell what you got and buy the cowboy guns and enjoy. JMO
Dave

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
I shoot cowboy, if it were me I'd keep the ROA and sell some 10/22s. Hopefully you reload. Most cowboy shooter load their own. The short barrel Vaq. are the most popular around here, a bit faster to draw and get on target. Try to match your rifle and pistol caliber to shoot the same ammo. Marlin 1894 make good rifles if you can't afford a '66 or '73 Winchester. The double barrel shotguns can be pretty quick also if a '97 Winchester is bit more than you want to spend. I would go with .38's in the Vaq. and rifle, less recoil, cheaper to load. Just my .02 cents.

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
I'd keep the Old Army, the black powder bug might bite you.

Cowboy shooting is fun. Lots of fun! If I were you I would head out to the local cowboy range on a shoot day just to get the feel of it.

Just wear a button down shirt, jeans and if you have one a cowboy hat. Some cowboy boots would be good, but if you don't have them, just wear some leather shoes or boots.

Ask around after the match and I'll bet some cowboys will talk your ear off and let you fondle their guns. This will give you a better idea of what you need/want.

Here are some places to read up on your new obsession:

http://bullspit.us/?p=11

http://bullspit.us/?p=12

http://www.curtrich.com/GettingStarted01.html

Have fun!

Stubshaft

Bearcat
I'd keep it.

One of the biggest mistakes I made was selling mine. I was just recently able to get another one.

I'd be saying goodbye to one of the 10/22's.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

If it wuz me, I would keep the Old Army. Ya never know if the BP bug will bite, besides, they ain't making that one any more and if you sell it you may have trouble replacing it at some time.

I won't go into all the other stuff, I shoot nothing but Black Powder in CAS, 44-40 in my rifles and 45 Colt in my pistols. But that's just me. Most shooters are shooting 38s, they are much more economical than 45s. A great many of the cowboys who just had to have a 45 wind up loading it down so much that they should have started with 38s anyway.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
You can use the old army, just pick up a vaquero or new vaquero and if you get bit as hard as the rest of us, get its twin later.
I just ordered a clean up stainless bisley vaquero in 44 mag to complete my set.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Were it me...I'd keep at least one of the 10/22's. Besides being a really nice model, the 10/22 itself is a must-have in any firearm family. Probably keep the ROA as well as it does have a place in cowboy shooting. Can sometimes be tough to buy new and not sell the old but if you can... :)
I'd suggest attending an event and see what folks are using, and good chance they'll let you handle them and be more than happy to answer questions for you.

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
You can't have more fun with your clothes on than SASS. I've been a life member for a lonng time now. In fact, I even heve my own cowboy town on my ranch... :lol:

But... don't sell off more'n ya hafta to get into SASS. The buy in isn't cheap, but the rewards are unimaginable and your shooting skills will develop exponentially.

My advice is take your safety glass and earplugs and go to your nearest club's very next shoot, introduce yourself and tell them you want to join SASS and play too. The rest will all be a breeze.

Here's the Dead Camels Mountain Gang in Sixgun Flat on the 1881 Ranch in Nevada:

For grins... how many can identify the (non "SASS legal") rifle I'm plinking with here?

Nylon76078.jpg

Posse184.jpg

Gunfight at the RA (Reasonably Acceptable) Corral
RACorral211.jpg

targetscloseup110.jpg

VaCityHeadlines180.jpg

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
It sounds like a lot of you guys are thinking that it would be wise to keep the ROA no matter what. I was on the fence about parting with it. So, I was looking for a push in one direction or the other. Thanks for helping me to realize that I should probably hold on to an NIB ROA. Let me tell you guys where I am sitting in my SA collection. I guess I'm just looking for some guidance and opinions from cowboys, who have gained different perspectives, through wisdom and experience.

My first order of business will be obtaining a set of six guns. I have an original model, 3 3/4" barrel, Vaquero Sheriff model in 45. I also have a New Vaquero Montado, 3 3/4" barrel, in 45 too. My dad and I reload for the 45 colt. I also have a few DA 45 colts that I hunt/plink with from time-to-time. I also have several 357's in DA. I have a SBH Hunter in 44 mag too.

I have been thinking about getting two sets of New Vaqueros. I like the smaller size and weight of the New Vaqueros. How does this sound? I'm leaning towards getting a pair of Ruger SASS edition New Vaqueros. I would also like to eventually get into a pair of New Vaquero Bisley, SS, 5 1/2" barrel revolvers. I'm going to take the advice that others have stated above and go with 38/357's. I can start reloading for them with no problems. Am I on the right track with these two sets or are there better options out there?

Old Judge Creek, You guys look like a fun bunch of pards. Nice set-up. Thanks for sharing your photos with us. Thanks to the others for all of your help as well. I'm still in the initial info gathering phase. So, keep posting more ideas, thoughts and comments.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Can you get a conversion cylinder for the ROA and shoot cartridge rounds out of it for CAS, along with a second gun? The revolvers don't have to match, though I've heard it's desirable to have two of the same caliber. Get a Vaquero for strong side and carry the ROA cross draw. Under a poncho. Your handle can be "Squint". ;)

-- Sam

EDK

Single-Sixer
For now, I'd use the short barrelled 45s you have access to. Get into a set of 357s when you're sure you're staying in CAS.

A rifle and shotgun would be my concerns now. MARLINS aren't race guns for CAS, but adequate to start, in-expensive (relative to 66/73 replicas!) Get either a 97 WINCHESTER (or clone) or a side-by-side shotgun. Read sassnet.com classifieds and see what prices are like.

I like Orignal Size VAQUEROS/BISLEY VAQUEROS and 44s, so NEW VAQUEROS don't do much for me. The NV is starting to show up in used racks and pawn shops at reasonable prices. The price on Orignal Size guns is steadily going up and supply diminishing...kinda like 3 screw RUGERS.

Good luck Blue Roan SASS #15845

MBane666

Bearcat
I'd shoot the Montado and the Sheriff's Model .45s in SASS....throttle down the reloads with Trail Boss and 200-grainers (or less, if you want). If you wanna race, the SASS Vaqueros in .357 are nice (I have a set and my Director of Photography, Gene Moffitt, bought a set and literally took them out of the box at the range and shot a match — well — with them).

Put the money in a good '73 clone (Long Hunter's guns come to mind)...you're gonna end up with a '73 anyway, so you might as well start there. Shotgun, you pays your money and you takes your chances...double or a '97 clone. Both of them will need the tender ministrations of a gunsmith specializing in cowboy action shooting.

I've got 2 set-ups, depending on the weather and the phase of the moon:

• 2 .357 Blackhawks rebuilt by Bill Laughridge at Cylinder & Slide
• 1873 Cimarron "Texas Brush Popper" short-stroked by Long Hunter
• '97 clone from Coyote Cap

• 2 .44 Special Blackhawks by Long Hunter
• 1866 clone short-stroked by Long Hiunter
• Same old boring '97, although I have an original 1901 solid-frame '97 rebuilt by Old West Gun Repair that's fun to shoot and an old Norinco '97 "Trench Gun" that Jim Bowie at the Cowboys & Indians Store finally got to run and that I use in Wild Bunch mateches...

Michael B

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy BearHawk,

Before you go any farther, set yourself down and figure out what draws you to Cowboy Action Shooting and what you want to get out of it. This will help you decide what gear is best for you.

If the competition and being first is the most important thing for you, then your caliber selection, gear and gun choice will be very, very different than if the historical aspect of the Old West is your main interest. If you get a kick out of John Wayne films, or old western TV programs, again your choice of gear, guns, and calibers will be very different from the prior two.
(FYI; a good portion of the already posted suggestions are geared toward the first group mentioned above.)

The fact that you reload already opens up your caliber and powder choices tremendously, compared to someone who doesn't (and isn't made of money).

If you wish to ask me more questions, please PM me. I've been in Cowboy Action Shooting for about 15 years, and have used and seen alot of things. By the way, my main interests are the historical aspects of the Old West, and film/TV westerns (but NOT the B-western class in SASS).

Sacramento Johnson SASS #6873

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
Michael,

You mentioned Trail Boss powder for my 45's. My dad and I use more Trail Boss than any other powder. I'm glad to hear that you like it as well. When I finally get into some 38's would you recomend still using the Trail Boss? Are there other popular powders for 38's for CAS?

Also, I noticed blackhawks in your line-up. How do you like them? I'm glad to hear that you like the SASS Vaquero set. Anyway, I have tons of questions (as you can see). Thanks for all of your input.

maxpress

Buckeye
IMHO if your ROA is still NIB then your not that into it if you havnt played with it already. my "safe queens" last about 6 months. if im not into them enough to shoot them then they get traded. i know the value, but its more valuable to me to have something that i enjoy.

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
Sacramento Johnson":16dmzotn said:
Howdy BearHawk,

Before you go any farther, set yourself down and figure out what draws you to Cowboy Action Shooting and what you want to get out of it. This will help you decide what gear is best for you.

If the competition and being first is the most important thing for you, then your caliber selection, gear and gun choice will be very, very different than if the historical aspect of the Old West is your main interest. If you get a kick out of John Wayne films, or old western TV programs, again your choice of gear, guns, and calibers will be very different from the prior two.
(FYI; a good portion of the already posted suggestions are geared toward the first group mentioned above.)

The fact that you reload already opens up your caliber and powder choices tremendously, compared to someone who doesn't (and isn't made of money).

If you wish to ask me more questions, please PM me. I've been in Cowboy Action Shooting for about 15 years, and have used and seen alot of things. By the way, my main interests are the historical aspects of the Old West, and film/TV westerns (but NOT the B-western class in SASS).

Sacramento Johnson SASS #6873

Well said, Pard! I've no doubt at all that you in your posse and I in mine have have walked past each other at more than one match over the years.

I too am more of a history buff than anything else.

FWIW: I'm also a warthog. I shoot the same loads at a SASS match that I carry in the desert for bidniz: either 44s or 45s and loaded to ~950 fps. I've never "won" a match, not that there was ever a chanch in Hades of that since my home club produced EOT Champions like the late Tom Doodley Squat, Powder Baggs and Badlands Bud, but "winning's" not why I, nor any of my Pards, play in SASS.

SASS to me was always about camaderie, friendship, and sharing a fun day at the range. Competition? I'd much rather outshoot one of my Pards than "win" a match anyday.

SASS is full mostly of the finest quallity people I've ever known. Today, my closest friends, business partners, lodge brothers are almost all SASS folks.