cowboy action itch....ideas, please???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Well,

FWIW. The 73 Cody 73 is a very nice rifle. It should be for around $1400. That is about 3 Marlins.

I shoot Marlins and have been for the last ten years. There is a very small advantage to the 73. Most of the average shooters can't use that advantage. In most matches I can out shoot 95% of the 73 with my Marlin that I slicked up myself while shooting 357s at 1400fps. I can't stand a whimp rifle round or pistole for that mater. :roll:
It has been said that a match is won by the shotgun.

As a mater of fact the record is now held by a Marlin that was short stroked by Spurs. His charge is around $300.

Believe me the high dollar race guns are not the only thing that gets you to the winners circle. In a State Level Match of 200 shooters I will be in the top 20 shooting Silver Senior.

In smaller matches of 80 or so I will be #1 to #5

Of course shooting Ruger OA and black that is a weeee bit different. Even in that I have been in the top 3 in the Missouri and Texas State shoot. Got the wood to show.

I'm not trying to brag here just point out some of the facts. The game can be played on a smaller budget and played well.

The Stoger SxS can be slicked up by the owner and it goes for around $300

Here again the SxS is as fast if not faster than a 97 by most shooters. How the targets are set also makes a big difference. Hell I shoot left handed and the 97 would be perfect for me, but I wouldn't want one.

As far as pistolies wouldn't trade my OM 3 screws for anything. And I have a few Vaqueros.
Only you know what you want to sell or keep.
Not many classes for a FIXED SIGHT ROA.

Hope this is of some help.

Jim
These are my race guns :lol:
pair45s.jpg

A few Marlins and SxSs
CIMG3524-1.jpg

MBane666

Bearcat
Right now I'm using Red Dot in my .357 cowboy guns under 158-gr LaserCast bullets. It's a heavier load than many people use but hey, I'm Old Skool.

I went to Red Dot because, while not as bad as primers, some of my favorite powders (TiteGroup, Unique) weren't available, but there was lots of Red Dot at good prices. Got no complaints on the loads...accurate, light recoil, not quite as dirty as Unique or Bullseye.

I like Blackhawks for a bunch of reasons...they were the first centerfire revolvers I ever shot (first rimfire = Single Six)...I've always thought they were just beautiful guns...I've shot them a lot and I can repair them in my sleep. I also collect custom Blackhawks and Vaqueros. My latest is a 4-inch .44 Magnum Vaquero with a birdshead gripframe from the great Hamilton Bowen. I wanted a gun that looked like the incredible Texas Longhorn Arms Border Special single actions from years back,and Hamilton delivered in spades...

Michael B

maxpress":1inz49fs said:
do most people use 38/357 at SASS then?

The answer to your question is YES. The reason being is because it is cheaper to load 38. A down loaded 160 Gr.45 is about equal to a 38. So why do it?
Most of us in SASS that want to win shoot a lot. I shoot at least 1000 rounds a month in matches. This doesn't take in to consideratoin the warm up or pratice rounds.
Jim

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
My first order of business will be obtaining a set of six guns. I have an original model, 3 3/4" barrel, Vaquero Sheriff model in 45. I also have a New Vaquero Montado, 3 3/4" barrel, in 45 too.

Howdy Again

Don't want to rain on your parade, but the last I looked, the Montado is not a SASS legal main match revolver. It was designed for mounted shooting, and has grooves on the front of the grip frame for a better grip. This constitutes 'grip enhancement' which is illegal in a SASS Main Match revolver.

Driftwood Johnson":zhtz9bxc said:
My first order of business will be obtaining a set of six guns. I have an original model, 3 3/4" barrel, Vaquero Sheriff model in 45. I also have a New Vaquero Montado, 3 3/4" barrel, in 45 too.

Howdy Again

Don't want to rain on your parade, but the last I looked, the Montado is not a SASS legal main match revolver. It was designed for mounted shooting, and has grooves on the front of the grip frame for a better grip. This constitutes 'grip enhancement' which is illegal in a SASS Main Match revolver.

DJ
I think it is now legal. It could be that just the newer ones without the grip frame stuff are. Anyway you could put on a different frame or get rid of the groves.
Most of the local clubs that I know of could care less. Ya maybe at State level they might care. The hammers are now legal. At one time they weren't

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
About the guns that I listed....I was just listing the guns and calibers that I currently own and play around with (they are not guns that I bought for SASS). I just wanted folks to know what I had so that they might be able to guide me in a direction that would "fit" my other tastes. I'm looking to get a set of ??? Rugers. I'm still not exactly sure what would be the best choice for my wants/needs. I am learning that there are a lot of variables to consider when getting into CAS.

About the Montado....my 45 Montado doesn't have the grooves on the grip frame. It is smooth all around (front, back and bottom). It's NIB and I just got it. So, I don't know if it's just the 357's that have the grooves on the grip or what.

While I like the Vaquero and New Vaquero, I have been recently considering a set of Blackhawks too. There are lots of great choices out there. Keep the ideas rolling, pards. The things that I learn on here are priceless.