coversion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
Does any one know why Ruger totally redesigned the om when all they had to do was install conversion kits? Seems to me that just installing the conversion kit would be a huge savings over total redesign.

Axehandle

Buckeye
You need to hold an original and a converted gun in your hands... That would do more to help you understand than anything else....

flatgate

Hawkeye
The New Model lockwork was easy to design when compared to the conversion kit. Ruger and His Guns contains the story. In a nutshell, the NM lockwork was developed after WBR decided to improve the classic single action design. Many years afterwards he got inspired to develop a kit and it was a difficult challenge. The solution seems to have been the "inletting" of the side of the hammer for the much slimmer transfer bar.

flatgate

Ale-8(1)

Hawkeye
Yep. Inletting the hammer provided an essentially "drop-in kit" that required no modification to the gun's frame. This keeps us Olde Pharts happy since the "kit" can be removed and the original parts re-installed for collector value, if desired.

I am definitely NOT recommending anyone remove the conversion, of course, heaven forbid.

:roll: :wink: :roll:

edlmann

Blackhawk
two bit okie":2b7mrrcb said:
Does any one know why Ruger totally redesigned the om when all they had to do was install conversion kits? Seems to me that just installing the conversion kit would be a huge savings over total redesign.

New Model preceded the conversion kit by many years.

ETA: Anyone remember for sure when the conversion kits were first offered?