Couple'a Glock Questions...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
For all you Glock owners, anyone of you ever have a grip reduction and if so, can you share your experience/pics?

Also, what seems to be the most popular Glock (barring LE etc.) and why?

Does anyone here believe it foolish to "trade" two Ruger P's for a Glock?

4th, what's with the 10mm? I admit to never looking, but I don't recall ever seeing 10mm anywhere I've bought ammo, is it obscure? Popular? Not so popular?

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
I'm looking at pics of Grip Reductions right now and some'a those Glocks look right perty without the ugly a** hump in the back :)

Seriously though, that coupled with stippling and they're nice looking pistols. Thank I'ma git me on'a them there Glocks.

redsouthpaw

Bearcat
TruthNotRelative":1310mp3c said:
For all you Glock owners, anyone of you ever have a grip reduction and if so, can you share your experience/pics?

4th, what's with the 10mm? I admit to never looking, but I don't recall ever seeing 10mm anywhere I've bought ammo, is it obscure? Popular? Not so popular?
I like the Glock grips. I don't understand why anybody would buy a pistol, then cut down the grips. If you don't like the feel of the gun why buy it? There are so many different choices out there.

The most popular is probably the G22 in .40 s&w, simply because of the caliber.

Depends on the model Glock you will be trading for. IMO the G19 in 9mm is one of the finest and most accurate 9mm pistols on the market.

The 10mm is a great round, even better if you reload. Most factory ammo is loaded light. Ammo is not quite as popular because there is only a couple companies producing guns in 10mm. Loaded to it's potential it is close to the 41mag in power.

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
Held a Glock today at Yellow-Mart, was fairly odd. It did seem to point upward (naturally, having only Ruger P's). Grip Reductions seem fairly popular, so, we're not alone. And, I've always thought the Glock was a nice looking pistol, but something about it seemed weird/ugly. Turns out that "something" is the "odd" grip. They do (IMO) look very attractive with the proper grip reduction. I'm diggin' it.

As far as "why not buy a different pistol if you don't like the grip?". Well, to me, if you love and trust a Glock (Maybe MORE than any other pistol), there's absolutely nothing wrong with a mod' like a grip reduction.

Apparently the .380 Glocks don't have enough "points" to be allowed into this country. They're not long enough or wide enough or heavy enough or something like that. There's a list of features that affect importability, each feature providing points toward importation, and if the total number of points isn't high enough . . . sorry, Charlie, no deal.

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
TruthNotRelative":3u05jrpb said:

TruthNotRelative":3u05jrpb said:
Oh, and one more... WHY are the Glock .380's not available in the US?
I've never had a grip reduction done, but I do have a G30SF. The SF stands for short frame; it's pretty much a factory grip reduction (actually it's not a mod, but a new frame made that way). It made all the difference to me in regards to buying a 30. They are fat puppies, but I'm comfortable with the short frame (it's offered on several models) version. There is a photo of the difference between a regular frame and a Short frame here: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpos ... ostcount=7
The G30SF points pretty natural for me, but so does my other Glock (G27).

Here's a pretty good thread from Glock Talk with grip reduction photos:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956905
You might also be interested in this thread as it explains hw to do a reduction using a candle: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthr ... ost9564039

Personally, I think the G19 might be the most poplar Glock; great size to capacity ratio and chambered in a popular, relatively inexpensive, but adequate caliber.

Thoughts on trading two Ps for a G in a moment.

The 10mm is quite a potent round and has developed a loyal (and growing) following. The Glock offerings are very good price point value to enter into the 10mm world.

As Ale-8(1) correctly stated the 380 Glock does not make enough importation points to be legally imported. Here is some info on that:
http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets ... &issue=020

As to trading your Ps right now:
Rumor has it that the new generation Glock (to be introduced next year) will have interchangeable backstraps:
http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2009 ... ble-grips/
Could be worth the wait. That said, I think a P and a little cash would be a better trade than two Ps, unless you have no use for both Ps. I have a P90 and wouldn't trade it for a Glock, but if I did it would have to be straight across (talking used for used).
Regards,
Greg

Based on that "point system" there are many guns we currently have available to us that are only so available because they are manufactured inside the USA . . . for instance the LCP and similar "pocket guns". They would not be allowed to be imported due to their small size and other considerations.

Thanks for the link, Greg.

:D

revhigh

Hawkeye
redsouthpaw":2k299vet said:
I don't understand why anybody would buy a pistol, then cut down the grips. If you don't like the feel of the gun why buy it?

I wholeheartedly agree with that POV !!

REV

Mike J

Hunter
Have you looked at the M & P's Truth-they have interchangeable backstraps, lifetime warranty. It might fit your hand better out of the box. I really don't have any experience with these although I have seen many post that love them. I know you like to tinker with & personalize your firearms. I'm just one of those that tends to find something they like out of the box or not buy it. I did like the way my neighbors G-23 shot (.40 caliber same size as G-19). I don't think I'd go the 10mm route due to ammo being more expensive/probably a little harder to come by. I think 10mm could be great if you are into reloading or wanted to use a semi for a woods gun. I wouldn't want to use it for general self defense, home defense.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I'd consider the Springfield XD's as well, or even the Sig 2009 or 2022. Not sure if the Sigs have the backstrap thing going on though. They're pretty inexpensive for a Sig ... around $450-500 new. CDNN had a whole bunch of 2022's just a short while ago brand new.

I've shot several Sig 2009's, and once again ... they were spectacularly accurate. I offered to buy one 2009 on the spot after shooting it ... of course the owner declined.

Looks like both Sigs have the backstrap thingy going on ...

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/sig_Sp2022.jpg

http://www.csnation.net/skins/view_skin.php?id=5947

REV

Mike J

Hunter
I like the grip angle of my XD though it doesn't have the interchangeable backstraps. I think the XDm does but it's more expensive. The thing is though, it doesn't matter what is best for me or anyone else-It's finding the platform will work for you. About trading, I would think you would be better off selling your P series guns than trading them in. If you trade them most shops aren't going to give you as much as in individual would because they still have to have room to make money on them.

revhigh

Hawkeye
In order for a firearm to be effective is must fit the user's hand and instill a sense of confidence. Looking to make the Glock 30 more comfortable for smaller hands without giving up the magazine capacity of 10rds Glock has released the new Glock 30SF (Short Frame). With a trigger reach of 2.83"(72mm) the Glock 30SF shaves 3mm from the original Glock 30 that has a trigger reach of 2.95"(75mm). Coupled with the re-contoured backstrap the new Glock 30SF is the choice for large capacity lightweight 45ACP pistols.

Some good pics at this link comparing the standard vs SF, FYI ...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... X%26um%3D1

REV

November

Single-Sixer
I chopped my G23 grip for carry and I love it. It was an older police trade-in gun so I didn't mind doing this work on it. It'll use the shorter G26/27/33 mags for concealment but retains the sight radius and rail of the G23. It can take any of the longer mags also. I modified it as a do-it-all Glock. It was easy to do as there are no parts in the grip, just plastic.

ChoppedG23002.jpg

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
"Have you looked at the M & P's Truth-they have interchangeable backstraps, lifetime warranty. It might fit your hand better out of the box."

I have looked into the M&P's, and I do desire one, however, it's beyond my budget. They seem to be going for a bit more than the Glock. Used Glocks a plenty, used M&P's, I don't see any.

revhigh

Hawkeye
TruthNotRelative":3jy2qfhv said:
Used Glocks a plenty, used M&P's, I don't see any.

That's because there's about 1000 times as many GLocks in circulation as M&P's.

Mike J

Hunter
You might check out the Glock Shooting Sports Foundation. I think you can get a discount on a new gun by joining. Rev probably knows more about whether that is worthwhile or not than I do. I don't know what prices are running now. I looked at Glocks before I bought my XD a couple of years ago. There was less than 100 dollars difference then between buying used & new.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Correct Mike, if you join GSSF (I'm not a member), you get to buy ONE Glock per year at LE prices. These Glocks come with THREE mags, and you can figure any standard caliber Glock, like 9MM, 40, and 45 WITHOUT night sights would be about $400-425. The gun is shipped to a local FFL that will then TRANSFER the gun to you (at whatever cost they charge). So .... what does this mean ? The gun will be roughly $425 + Transfer (figure $25) for a total of $450 ... but wait !!!!! You had to JOIN GSSF for $35, so that makes the GSSF out the door price about $485. If you shop, you can get Glocks for about $500 delivered pretty easily. So you save all of about $35-40, since you'd still have to pay transfer fees even at $500 delivered.

It also allows you some other benefits like signing up for Glock events etc.

www.gssfonline.com

Use your own judgement. I never figured it was really worth it. If you'd use the other benefits, it may be viable.

Although you guys probably think I'm a real Glock fan, Im really not. I have 2, but they were purpose bought guns. The 26 for pure carry, and the 20 just because I wanted to try out the 10MM. I have no real interest in Glocks past those two. To me, they're purely tools, and I really can't see myself buying any more.

The damn things ARE about the most reliable firearms on the planet though, and they definitely have above average accuracy. It's very tough to beat them for those two points.

REV