Couple single six parts questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

slowpoke

Single-Sixer
A little background first- I recently bought a stainless open sight SS and wanted to install a trigger/spring kit. My FFL holder happens to be my best friend and hunting/fishing partner, which obviously is a great situation cause he does my transfers for nothin and anything he orders for me is passed on at cost. So anyway, we go to order the kit from Brownells and the pic they have is a Bisley hammer. I thought it would be cool to install one, and after a little research on this forum, I find out that is possible with a little easy modification. After a call to Brownells tech support however we find out that the Bissley kit doesn't fit the Singl Six. So I just ordered the kit that fits, cause I want to change the springs and get the half cock mode, trigger pull etc. The hammer is a regualar shape however.

So my first question- Is there anywhere I can get Bisley hammer/trigger for a Single six, and if the answer is from Ruger, does that mean the original spring mech is used?

Next question- If I wanted to change the front sight on a NM to something a little less bulky, what would you suggest? Are there good after market alternatives, or could I take the factory one off and shave it down with good results? Thanks

BlkHawk73

Hunter
So my first question- Is there anywhere I can get Bisley hammer/trigger for a Single six, and if the answer is from Ruger, does that mean the original spring mech is used?

Yes, you can get parts to Bisley-ize your Single Six. Check Midway or Brownell's for the parts. Need to get the ones specifically for the Single Six. You'll be limited to a blued hammer as stainless ones for the SS are rare as hen's teeth. Polish it if you want for the stainless look. The grip frame will need to be fitted to your cylinder frame and finished. You'll also need the two hex head screws, the grip panel locator pin and the trigger spring retaining pin as well. The same springs and hammer strut are used in both styles.

kitkin

Bearcat
BlkHawk73":2p639nxs said:

Yes, you can get parts to Bisley-ize your Single Six. Check Midway or Brownell's for the parts. Need to get the ones specifically for the Single Six. You'll be limited to a blued hammer as stainless ones for the SS are rare as hen's teeth. Polish it if you want for the stainless look. The grip frame will need to be fitted to your cylinder frame and finished. You'll also need the two hex head screws, the grip panel locator pin and the trigger spring retaining pin as well. The same springs and hammer strut are used in both styles.
I don't think he wants to change the grip frame, just the hammer and trigger.
Yes they will fit. The Bisley hammer will need some grinding to clear the xr3 grip frame. Not a big job
I have been looking for a ss Bisley hammer for my single six

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Whoops missed that. Me bad. Yes, the hammer would need to be re-radiused to fit the standard grip frame.

I had a SS HUnter Bisley-ized by Gallagher and was told the stainless SS hammers were all but impossible to get a hold of. He used a blued one and simply polished the sides. Can't tell the difference really. Came out great!

contender

Ruger Guru
Since most of the responses are about the hammer etc,, & no one answered the sight question, I will.
You can mill the sides of a front sight blade to "skinny" it up & give you more "air" on either side of the blade when viewed. This can also be done only on one side to assist in getting extra adjustment for the rear sight. If bulk is the only issue,, then yes,, it can be reduced in size. Just make sure you leave the height alone to keep it shooting straight.

flatgate

Hawkeye
slowpoke":1olsltqi said:

Yes, Ruger makes a Bisley Single-Six hammer. Power Custom doesn't make their "half cock" hammers for the New Model Single-Sixes. (I believe that's the case but I'm not 100% sure.)

So, if you are "dead set" on a Bisley hammer with the half cock feature for your New Model Single-Six you'll have to resort to some cuttin' and weldin'....

I've done a few of these. One purchases a Bisley Single-Six hammer and then cuts the top off and welds it to a similarly "chopped" Single-Six hammer. Or, in your case, the Power's hammer.

The early Blackhawk shown below has a New Model Bisley hammer's top grafted onto the original "3 screw" hammer's lower. The only caveat is the hammer plunger spring's bore. Just make sure the cut is above the top of the hole.

52725340.jpg

JMHO,

flatgate

PS Be advised that the genuine Ruger Bisley triggers require a modified trigger slot when used with "non-Bisley" grip frames.

slowpoke

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the replies everyone! OK, since I already have the power custom, (which now is TT LLC or something like that) kit on the way, I think I'll just go with that. Not a big deal on the hammer really. Guess I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled for a real Bissley :mrgreen: !

As for the front sight, (this is for another gun), I think I'll give trimming it down a go. I'll try to get some pics up. We lost our camera somehow and still need to replace it.