Counting my blessings.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cruiser Lou's post about his water leaks got me to thinking about my work day yesterday:

And I was going to complain about my helper pushing a board through a customer's front porch screen .... 12 hour chimney repair job and this is first thing that happened, booked up solid for two weeks and I've got to find the time today to go out and fix it so I can get a check for $2,500.

but two hours later I got a reality check... homeowner is getting a new walk way to the house and concrete guys showed up with truck pulling a big trailer with bobcat on the it.... guy went to back the 'cat' off the trailer and this lifted the back of the truck up, they did not chock any wheels and the whole rig was pointed down hill.... guess what happened? Yep, truck, trailer with bobcat all started down the road.... good part was it all only went about twenty feet before turning and crashing into the neighbor's block wall.

I was 'awakened' a couple of years ago while spending a week in the hospital. I went in for pneumonia and was placed in a room with a gentleman that suffered from an extreme case of muscular dystrophy. I didn't know just how well off I was until I saw him. I realized that each day we should count our blessings and remember, somewhere, someone is having a much worse day than I am, through no fault of their own.

vito

Hunter
All of us who wake up on the green side of the grass have much to be grateful for. Its all too easy to get caught up in our worries and minor misfortunes, and ultimately, all the misfortunes are minor. Some days I get sad and pensive over getting older, or thinking about whether the kidney cancer I had earlier this year will come back, or worrying about being retired but still having a big mortgage on my home, or lately, what the hell is going to happen to my youngest son who has been out of work for a year and in trouble with the law. But then I think, I made it already to an age that some never get to. I have a wonderful wife for almost 50 years now, someone I enjoy being with now as much as when we first met. I have four other grown kids doing OK, and ten wonderful grandchildren. I still get to ride my motorcycle, shoot my guns, and eat more than I should. And although I had to put a kind dog who was my loyal companion for almost 15 years down a few weeks ago, I have a lovable little dog that brings smiles to my face every day. I count my blessings and thank God for the good fortune that has come to me.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
blume357 did you forget that a tree fell on your house a while back? How did that all turn out? You have a good attitude. :D

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Remember a story from years back about a man who cursed because he had no shoes, then he met a man who had no feet.

Bob Wright

Bob I heard that very same quote recently and earlier this week I was out for a walk with my dog and someone was working real hard to get out of his car. He needed help because he had a shiny stainless prosthetic leg from the knee down. Really makes you think... I was very grateful to take my goofy dog for a walk that day.

RugerHound

Hunter
blume357 said:
Cruiser Lou's post about his water leaks got me to thinking about my work day yesterday:

And I was going to complain about my helper pushing a board through a customer's front porch screen .... 12 hour chimney repair job and this is first thing that happened, booked up solid for two weeks and I've got to find the time today to go out and fix it so I can get a check for $2,500.

but two hours later I got a reality check... homeowner is getting a new walk way to the house and concrete guys showed up with truck pulling a big trailer with bobcat on the it.... guy went to back the 'cat' off the trailer and this lifted the back of the truck up, they did not chock any wheels and the whole rig was pointed down hill.... guess what happened? Yep, truck, trailer with bobcat all started down the road.... good part was it all only went about twenty feet before turning and crashing into the neighbor's block wall.

Holy crapoly!

contender

Ruger Guru
I think all of us can relate & recognize many similar things.
Almost two weeks ago, I had a crappy monday. Nothing really definitive,,, just a lot of little things that built up to make it a bad day. Miss Penny had a similar day at work.
Then, late in the day,,, my son called.
He took the cake for having a bad day.
He is one of the detectives who got to start his monday by investigating a 2 yr old girl accidentally shot & killed. A shotgun had been left on a table at a baby sitters house. A tragedy for all involved. And after a long trying day, he was in his office, with the 5:30 pm news on and sees that a girl who he's known since her birth, (who had a crush on him many years ago,) was in her home with her two young children when a random shooting of her house put a bullet in her neck. She is still alive but he had all this on the same day.
Made my day as well as Miss Penny's day seem VERY trivial.
I spent a fair amount of time talking with my son. And we both agree,,, it can always be bad & there is always somebody having a worse time than you.

CLAYPOOL

Single-Sixer
I'm just glad my 2 are STILL involved with the church camp ever summer and DON"T make me sorry about nothing I have done raising them... it could be a whole lot different...

pawncop

Blackhawk
I too, see many examples that remind me of how fortunate I am. Working in a pediatric ER I see things that no one should see.

Wednesday, I got up early to meet Roland, and his wife in Sparta for breakfast, and then a hike. I got within 10 minutes of Sparta when I lost power. I was able to coast into a gas station. I notified Roland, they came and picked me up, and hung out while I made arrangements for towing. As Roland pointed out, someone was watching out for me,the way it all worked out.
gramps

Tallbald

Buckeye
When I first found out that my spinal injury was to lead to permanent disability and strict activity limitations at the tender age of 54, I felt very sorry for myself. Denial, anger, bargaining etc on a daily basis. It took a while for me to accept my new physical limitations and several years to come to terms with my new reality. My loving wife Penny went through the very same stages when she had a severe heart attack and triple bypass for her 39th birthday. Her new diagnosis then of insulin dependent diabetes and soon thereafter one of lymphadema in her farmed leg worsened her outlook. Both of us found new strength though in some gradually renewed faith, and an understanding that we could have become homeless and hungry instead of simply physically crippled. My biggest blessings are my wife and children. Penny and I had to learn to adapt to our new lifestyle, but we are mostly there and still working to progress.
As adults we recognize it could always be far worse for us, and at the very least we enjoy our time together.
Don.

32magfan

Blackhawk
I agree that it is easy to feel that for some reason (usually not our own fault), we feel we have cornered the market on having bad days. Being divorced for 7 years and alone (except for the dog) will get you to thinking that way, naturally. Last year, when my father passed after a long fight with cancer, that was tough. I still miss him and now I don't have a reloading service like I did have.

My faith helps me with all these things. It struck me this week how lucky I am in that respect. I was in one of the local schools doing a distribution to 5th graders of Gideon New Testaments. One little girl thanked me when she picked up her's from the table and commented that she should read this since she didn't get to go to church. And here I am, always able to go, and sometimes do not. Shame on me...

I have been the most miserable in my life when I was farthest away from a relationship with Jesus. Having him in my life makes anything that comes along at least tolerable. My life has truly been at its best though when I lived my life FOR HIM instead of just with him. I humbly admit to failing to stay in that latter category. Too many times, I get "too busy" with other things. They usually are not bad or sinful, selfish things. But they are not the BEST thing, finding some way to serve him, to bring honor, glory, and praise to his Holy Name. The best thing is also being used by him as a vessel to help someone else come to saving knowledge of Him. Seeing others around me struggling along without Christ in their life really makes me realize how I have been blessed.

I am "drinking from my saucer 'cause my cup runneth over".

God Bless Everyone, No Exceptions.

32Magfan

opos

Buckeye
On occasion I've been told to make a "gratitude list"...I normally start with "I have a pen and paper and know how to write"..there are many people that don't....sort of puts everything in perspective.

Latest posts