Could you sell me a .41 mag over a .44 mag?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

Hunting whitetail deer, and maybe mulies someday.
I reload.
I'm not all that recoil sensitive, but I'm not a sadist, either.
Will probably shoot jacketed bullets, but am willing to play with cast.

.44 mag is a classic and I'll never fear for being under gunned. 41 mag is a bit of a mystery to me, but it's fans are fiercely loyal. Maybe someday I'll have both, but if a guy could only have one......

Thanks!

Bucks Owin

Hunter
From .429" down to .410" isn't much of a jump if you savvy my drift. Personally, I like .452", especially "if a guy could only have one". A .45 Hunter shooting a 325 gr will take down anything on this continent quite handily :wink: .... FWIW, Dennis

gregs45auto

Single-Sixer
I started out with a 44 mag blkhawk and a 44 redhawk. Both are gone. I have a 41 mag blackhawk and it has been a more accurate handgun than the 44. I do not regret going back to the 41 mag. greg

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
Neither one is better/worse than the other in practical terms in the field on appropriate-sized animals. The 41 has devotees, including myself, that like owning and shooting something different than the same old/same old . If you need to be sold on the 41, it's probably not your cup of tea.

sebtool

Blackhawk
IIRC (it's been awhile) my handloads, according to the manual, (no chronograph) I was using a 210 gr Hornady XTP running about 1400 fps using 2400. The couple of deer I got with that load dropped purty doggone quick. 40-50 yds. It's a very accurate load in my Blackhawk, and easy to shoot well.

A commercial loader on gunbroker recently had ammo listed with a 230 gr Keith style bullet @ 1350 fps, and a 250 gr @ 1300. I don't see that as 'undergunned' at all! He had a 270 gr load as well, just don't remember the specs, but it sounded pretty stout.

It's a comfortable round to shoot. I never really had any problem with the Super Blackhawk I traded several years ago - just didn't need it! (still shoulda kept it...) Just traded for a 5.5" Redhawk in .41 mag, I guess to take it's place! :wink:

Easy to shoot, easy to load for, decent selection of bullets, a little less recoil (theoretically 20-30%?) accurate as all get out, drops a deer nicely, what's not to like? 8)

Greebe

Single-Sixer
While I have a .41 Mag and not a .44 Mag I will say that either will work just fine. From what I understand the .41Mag tends to be more accurate than the .44Mag or .45Colt.

Having said that, I like my .45 Colts better. They will toss a bigger bullet faster and do it with less pressure than either the .41 or .44. This equates to less perceived recoil. Plus there are more .452" bullets available for handloading then either the .41(.410) or .44(.429").

If you don't role your own ammo, then probably your best bet is the .44Mag. You will be able to find a variety of ammo for it just about everywhere. If you do load you own then any of them will work quite well.

Greebe

yankee7809

Single-Sixer
The most accurate sixgun I ever shot, at least to the present was a .41 Magnum Blackhawk. And I don't own it. It was a friends favorite and it's easy to see why. I would have to say based on my experience that it's accuracy takes a back seat to no large bore revolver.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I shoot the 44 mag over the 41 mag every time. That said, the 41 has less recoil because of the 210 vs the 240 grain bullet in the standard loading. Realistically, no reason to really choose the 41. The 44 has many more ammo offerings.

BearBio

Buckeye
I used a .41 mag as a pig gun while guiding. It appeared to penetrate better on the front of the skull and gristle plate. Had several failures with a .44 Blkhk.

Now I live in grizzly country (few and far between but they are here) and I prefer a 45 Colt Ruger loaded with 300 gr to 1200 fps.

My wife carries a .41 Blkhk for bear. I would not feel undergunned with it. For most purposes, not much difference but I prefer the .41 for some reason. It's like why do you love the woman you do?

bigchillymn

Bearcat
As much as I love my 41 mags, to answer your question, if I could buy only one , it would be a .44, in my neck of the woods, it is sometimes hard to find bullets or at least the grain or type wanted for the 41,s. My suggestion buy a .44, the start saving your money for a 41, then another, and another....their habit forming.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
FOR THE LIFE OF ME, I do not understand how you could possible live with out some of each in your safe !!!
Why in the world do you not see is is not, NOT, a 41 vs 44 situation at all.
Think about this.
And so it goes...

Single-Sixer
I had a dandy .41Mag Blackhawk that I really liked. I decided that the .44 offered me more versatility and range of bullet weights as well as shooting the .44Spl. so I standardized on the .44 as my "big gun". While most folks would have both, I was getting pretty cluttered with cartridges and decided to thin the herd a bit.

I imagine someday I'll own another .41Mag, but for now I'm perfectly happy with my .44's and truth be told I find that the .357Mag handles most of my needs just fine.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Less recoil is not a valid reason. My 9 year old can shoot my SBH (loaded with Russians). Even with 44 Mag cases, it can be loaded down to be pretty gentle. I don't really buy that the 41 is more accurate. I think acuracy has more to do wi th the particular gun and load and shooter. I'm sure there are a lot of nice 41s out there that will do a great job though.

sunday bill

Single-Sixer
I've spent a little time around some games where there's an old saw about a good big man beating a good hardly-so-big man every time.

Er sump'in like that.

Old jock philosophy may or may not apply here, though. :lol:

Rich

Onty

Single-Sixer
Tuhlmann":hhh2h4gu said:
Hunting whitetail deer, and maybe mulies someday.
I reload.
I'm not all that recoil sensitive, but I'm not a sadist, either.
Will probably shoot jacketed bullets, but am willing to play with cast.

.44 mag is a classic and I'll never fear for being under gunned. 41 mag is a bit of a mystery to me, but it's fans are fiercely loyal. Maybe someday I'll have both, but if a guy could only have one......

Thanks!

41 is for those who like to SHOOT. Most of us with preference for 41 found that when this calibre is loaded with 200-220 gr bullet at about 1100-1200 fps you can shoot it all day long without problem. Shooting 44-240/250 at same velocity is diferent story...

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
From the Federal websight:
http://www.federalpremium.com/default.aspx

41-44bulletcharts.jpg

I don't see much difference, except the 44mag has a little more energy. :D :D

...Jimbo

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I have several of both,, and both are good choices.
I guess you should look at the posts made in the Gallery back in November,, by sixshot,, and his elk taken with his 41 mag & a cast bullet. It might sway your decision. The 41 mag is a good solid round,, and a reloader can really make it shine. I would feel fine carrying either,, so,, it falls to your preferrences.

Onty

Single-Sixer
sunday bill":3pigm41u said:
I've spent a little time around some games where there's an old saw about a good big man beating a good hardly-so-big man every time.

Er sump'in like that.

Old jock philosophy may or may not apply here, though. :lol:

Rich

I see your point Rich, but for Tuhlmann and other new members (and possibly fresh shooters) there is always starting point. I was in his shoes when deciding what to get. On the end, I've got 41 Bisley and use it more than several other handguns combined.

Latest posts