Could Ron Powers or ??? make a tougher transfer bar?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
Pretty much "see title" - I know the New Model transfer bars for the Ruger large frame and mid frame SAs are the same, and they're a weak link in Ruger SA reliability.

Could we possibly get one forged out of good steel instead of cast? Who else would gladly pay $30+ for one?

Aggie01

Blackhawk
Are you breaking them? I have heard they can break due to hammer pinch, but not for being cast - nothing wrong with a good casting...like a Ruger frame.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
They may be the most broken part, but only because they're aint a hell of a lot of parts to break, and most don't ever break. I'd be interested to find out just how many break, I don't think anyone would start making forged ones if they'll only sell 15 a year.

the ones we have come across in the shop were usually broken from 'dry firiing' , became brittle and came apart...one was "new" and was improperly 'fitted' to the gun, was binding...if fitted properly and the heat treat , "correct", should NOT be an issue..........also be aware of "misuse" (improper??) like when the cylinder pin is out and someone forces the hammer back and it jams the transfer bar up,against the bottom of the firing pin, bend, bind, break...........(watched a guy fan his and break things.....) :roll:

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
Wow, in all my dealings with Ruger Single Actions, this is the first complaint I've ever heard about transfer bar breakage. I thought transfer bar breakage was practically a non-existent problem.

Sugar River

Buckeye
texaswheelgunner":3d5bxud3 said:
Wow, in all my dealings with Ruger Single Actions, this is the first complaint I've ever heard about transfer bar breakage. I thought transfer bar breakage was practically a non-existent problem.

+1, never seen it, though I guess it could happen.

Pete

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

In the Cowboy Action Shooting world I have heard of the occaissional transfer bar breaking, but it is almost invariably in a gun that has been dry fired a HUGE amount. Most CAS practicing involves dry firing, and some guys do it to excess.

As far as quality is concerned, do not be fooled, investment casting, which is the process that Ruger uses, produces very high quality parts. Just look at their frames, Ruger uses investment castings for their frames, as well as many small parts like hammers, triggers, transfer bars, etc. Don't confuse investment casting with die casting, they are very different. With a milled part you would be sure to get stress risers in sharp corners, and that is where parts tend to break.

Just think for a second about what the transfer bar has to do. It is slammed by the hammer every time the trigger is pulled. The stress involved is very high. When the hammer strikes it, the transfer bar is not fully supported, it is only supported at an angle. It is really a wonder that they break as rarely as they do.

I used to know a guy who worked at the Ruger single action line in New Hampshire a few years ago. He took a Ruger and put it on a test stand that mechanically cocked the hammer and pulled the trigger. Did it thousands of times and the transfer bar was fine.

J Miller

Blackhawk
Jim,

Power Custom or what ever their name is now does make a transfer bar for use with their half cock actions. If it's as good a product as the actions it would be as near perfect as it could get.

However as several posters have said, a properly fitted transfer bar / hammer will virtually guarantee a no break set up.

flatgate has a method of checking and adjusting them. Maybe he'll pop in and post it again. I don't remember it enough to do so.

Joe

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
texaswheelgunner":1bt9eh2j said:

My dad broke three transfer bars in his Old Model that he had converted. It seemed like the spring was not pushing the transfer bar out far enough, so it was just catching on the firing pin. This happened enough times that it finally would break.

Charlie

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
I shoot Rugers a lot, I dry fire them a LOT, and in 29 years since I bought my first one I have broken....ONE! Yes I was dry firing it when I did.

I ordered several when I ordered the replacement, and still have them If you are worried about breaking, just get some spares.

Grand Master LLC (fomerly Power Custom) already makes one, for $29.99.

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
HMMM. Can't recall ever breaking one in my OM's. Apparently you're buying the wrong models. :lol:

EarlFH

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
Jim

I am going there in the morning and I'll ask about that transfer bar. I "think" that it is not made by Ruger, but will find out.

Dan

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
And just when I thought I knew everything.... :?

The transfer bars that Grand Master sells are indeed purchased from Ruger and then modified for the half cock hammer and trigger. Ron has considered making them as a machined part, but doubts that the demand would be enough to justify cost. He doesn't say "never"...(unless you ask him about aluminum grip frames :wink: )

flatgate

Hawkeye
If one takes the time to properly fit the transfer bar so it's not "pinched" between the hammer and cylinder frame during the firing cycle they will last a long time.

JMHO,

flatgate

tek4260

Buckeye
flatgate":fk2670vm said:
If one takes the time to properly fit the transfer bar so it's not "pinched" between the hammer and cylinder frame during the firing cycle they will last a long time.

JMHO,

flatgate

Exactly.

Or if you are really worried about breaking them, remove it all together and build up the hammer face with a welder, then machine it down. Of course, you have a 5 shooter with 6 holes then, and in a self defense situation I'll take 6 shots and risk the transfer bar "happening to break at that time". :lol: