Cost of cutting off an inch of barrel?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Changeling

Bearcat
Can anyone tell me the cost (estimate) of having an inch or so of barrel cut off a stainless steel Ruger Black Hawk?

I believe I know the answer to this question but I am asking anyway. Is there any way tro tighten up the cylinder gap on a Ruger 45 colt to 1 or 2000" without installing a new cylinder ?

Thanks guys.

The cost is relevant to "how" the job is done....hand cut, machined, the barrel pulled ( removed) or not; how the front sight is re-installed (soldered back on or screwed on), crowning, polishing and on and on...as for the closing of the cylinder gap, the barrel needs to be removed , the shoulder "re-cut" and re-install, turning it one ,extra thread (360 degree turn, inward...) re-cut the barrel 'stub' adjust the gap to "desired" number...anywhere from .004-.008' nominal ( too close, may rub ,drag if any leading/fouling, too far a gap and you may get blow by or splatter...) yes, we've seen them closer as well as wider and they worked "just fine...."alignment, forcing cone and bullet ( ammo) type is more critical"

Remember if one "sets back " the barrel, you have to readjust the ejector rod housing and its "fit", the hole will now be closer also...... :roll:

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
Might do some searching, I think there was a previous thread and seems like the prices to cut down a barrel was any where from $75 to $150. I had a blue Single Six cut down about an inch, re-crown, remount front site, and cold blue for $75.

Changeling

Bearcat
JWhitmore44":1j7e1w6j said:
Might do some searching, I think there was a previous thread and seems like the prices to cut down a barrel was any where from $75 to $150. I had a blue Single Six cut down about an inch, re-crown, remount front site, and cold blue for $75.

Did they pull the barrel as Rugerguy suggested or what if you know?

Changeling

Bearcat
rugerguy":1w5ki1yg said:
The cost is relevant to "how" the job is done....hand cut, machined, the barrel pulled ( removed) or not; how the front sight is re-installed (soldered back on or screwed on), crowning, polishing and on and on...as for the closing of the cylinder gap, the barrel needs to be removed , the shoulder "re-cut" and re-install, turning it one ,extra thread (360 degree turn, inward...) re-cut the barrel 'stub' adjust the gap to "desired" number...anywhere from .004-.008' nominal ( too close, may rub ,drag if any leading/fouling, too far a gap and you may get blow by or splatter...) yes, we've seen them closer as well as wider and they worked "just fine...."alignment, forcing cone and bullet ( ammo) type is more critical"

Remember if one "sets back " the barrel, you have to readjust the ejector rod housing and its "fit", the hole will now be closer also...... :roll:

I'm not a gunsmith but I understand exactly what you are talking about. If I had it done I would want it done correctly or not at all.
Do you have any idea of the cost?

LEAD POISON

Single-Sixer
It seams to me that a good gunsmith could make a good living just cutting barrels.With what I've read here in a few months. I've had one done,not to my likeing.
Why doesn't a smith jump in here?????

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
Changeling":2fbyxc4z said:
JWhitmore44":2fbyxc4z said:

Did they pull the barrel as Rugerguy suggested or what if you know?

For just cutting the barrel I just had the end cut off. If you want the cylinder gap to be closer then you have to do what Rugerguy states (i.e remove the barrel).

read what I said, there are a "multitude" of ways and means to do the job,,,seen them, done them, no I am NOT a machinist, I do the simple ones by hand, by eye, and use the screw on front sights...I prefer NOT to solder or weld, too hot, makes the bluing look 'crappy" and then you gotta reblue them....never had much luck with 'low temp 'solders, didn't do enough of them., so for those jobs, I turn them over to my gunsmith,Walter, he took mot of the tools and jigs and fixtures when we closed up the last shop..as for any smith making a living shortening barrels, I doubt it, there is NOT a lot of call for that alone, but yes, one of the jobs of any GOOD ,full service shop.......just getting to be fewer GOOD smiths ( affordable) in many locations, so one has to "send" off, to the big boys, and that takes time & money, shipping adds a lot to the cost of the job, back and forth alone is about $60-70 ...............besides, I been 'retired' for over 7 years now, we just "tinker" when in the mood or someone comes by, needs something in a pinch and my grandson , the little Ruger Dude isn't playing with the tools or Grandmas guns.......
find a good shop ,ask some questions, lots of them gun plumbers love to talk................

langenc

Single-Sixer
How much ever it is it is NOT as much as stretching the barrel 1"

There is a price schedule at the very top of this group of threads.

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
I asked a gunsmith about cutting a Ruger Blackhawk barrel. He said it was easier for him to cut the length off the back and rethread the rear of the barrel than to mess with trying to uninstall and re-install the sight.

I ended up buying a shorter take-off barrel and he still had to re-thread the thing. Cost me 125.00 plus 50.00 for the barrel.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Rugerguy said it all! It really depends on how much "time" you take to do this job and the "method" utilized. I have done them several ways in the past and charged as little as $10 for the real easy one's such as cutting off a double barrel shotgun and drilling and tapping "one" hole to re-mount the bead sight!............................Dick :wink:

Hammer

Single-Sixer

The cutting off of barrels cost about 1-1/2 ounces of weight per inch of barrel.

That is the average from one 5-gallon bucket of barrel ends from my seventy-nine year old gunsmith's years of cutting barrels. I didn't weigh and measure the other buckets.

flatgate

Hawkeye
The aftermarket industry produces some pretty nice "screw attached" front sights these days.

Chop the barrel, get the sight screw holes milled and the barrel crowned. Cold blue the muzzle.

Funny thought just popped into my mind. I've NEVER considered shortening a barrel on a Ruger.......

flatgate

J Miller

Blackhawk
I have considered it. Every time I pick up my OM .45 with it's 7.5" barrel I consider it. I want a short barreled one to carry. Then I think just how much sight radius I'd loose, and how much velocity I'd lose, and how much easier it will be to eventually just buy a short barreled one.

That is ........... if the danged collectors will quit hogging all the BKH44X's. :(

Just teasing flatgate...... NOT. ;)

Joe

My thoughts is want a shorter barrel?? By a gun with the barrel lenth you desire. I'm with Flategate on this one the thought never crossed my mind. Heck you pay to shorten a barrel and your almost one third the price of another BH. Each to his own tho. ps

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
powder smoke":2esg2u4i said:
My thoughts is want a shorter barrel?? By a gun with the barrel lenth you desire. I'm with Flategate on this one the thought never crossed my mind. Heck you pay to shorten a barrel and your almost one third the price of another BH. Each to his own tho. ps

Let's see 75 x 3 = 225, I don't think I could have found a 32 Single Six for that price. Course If I sold my 32 and went looking for another 32 it might have only cost be around $50 to $75 for all the shipping and transfer fees. Not to mention the time involved for listing and selling and then hunting down the 2nd one. A single Six in hand is better than a scarce one out in the bushes someplace :)