Cosmetic Surgery...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

9x19

Hunter
... makes me feel good to excise the ugly! :D

I recently found this 10/22 International at a too-embarrassed-to-take-it-out-in-public price and after getting it home and cutting off the hideous growth up front, mounted a Nikon 2x-7x and gave it a decent trigger pull.

I took it for a walk this morning and had little trouble hitting my spinners off-hand from 30-60 yards.

1022RD.jpg

The Happy Kaboomer

Single-Sixer
You just chopped up a rifle they don't make anymore. IMHO it would have been simpler to just replace the long wood with a standard stock. However to each his own.

Boomer

Single-Sixer
I'm glad you guys went first! Some of us really like 10/22 Mannlicher stocks (a CZ 452 FS is on my to-buy list). Your results look very nice but perhaps you could have just whittled on a 2x4 instead? :roll: All meant in good fun, 'cus these rifles are ripe for customization!

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Although it does look like a nice job you did there I am jumping on board with everyone else here.

You did take a fairly valuable(as far as 10/22's) rifle and turned it into nothing more than a common 10/22 that may be worth $200.

I have seen those bare stocks sell for $150+. Could have sold that one and bought a replacement for $20-$30 on fleabay. At least you didn't do it to a walnut stock!

9x19

Hunter
Firsttimegrampa":2xmru8dc said:
Or at least took a $400.00 dollar gun and made it into a $200.00 gun.

I can sell you 6 1/2" of smooth beech wood for $200, if you'd like.

The late model internationals are not worth $400... anywhere... that some might pay that is another matter.

I like the pistol grip cap, checkering and straight rubber pad... not a combo you can get in any other Ruger stock.

On the plus side, perhaps I've just made the thousands of other Internationals value go up by a couple nickels... no need to thank me.

Others I have "chopped" :lol: :

1017C.jpg

1022RL.jpg

I'll defend you 9x19, to a degree. The internationals are just plane butt ugly and the rifle you made looks a lot better. I bought one a few years back, the only difference is I sold the stock to someone and bought a new one.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
9X19,
They are your guns so chop them up if you want!!!

BUT you are WRONG as to their value!! At a gun show this past week
end I looked at two both over $600.00, and one sold right in front of me.

Enjoy your guns
Terry

radicalrod

Hunter
Well there is a BIG difference in an OLD CHECKERED INTERNATIONAL and a NEW BREECH INT.......I am amazed at the prices asked of the NEWER ones......I am not certain that the BLUE BOOK makes a distinction between the early and later model clear enough.....Hey saw them all down then the newer one may definitely go up that NICKLE or two......just leave them WALNUT one alone.......see ya RR.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I disagree about the appearance of the Mannlicher-style stock but absolutely cannot take issue with somebody making a rifle more to their own liking. Regardless of what the collectors think. Sorry but life is too short for me to deny myself what I want for the sake of future collectors of what is essentially an inexpensive plinker.

I'd love to have a 10/22 International model (or a custom 77/22) but just couldn't get excited about birch nor pay collector prices for a walnut version.

Blackmore

Blackhawk
Boomer":1vif6yf5 said:
(a CZ 452 FS is on my to-buy list).

Do it quick. As you have probably heard, CZ is discontinuing the 452 series and coming out with new rimfires after the first of the year. The prices on remaining 452 inventory have started to increase; particularly the full stock models. Before Labor Day you could get a NIB 452 FS in .22WMR from Bud's for $394 delivered. They are now $441 delivered.

I have no other comment for the OP than these :( :roll:

Blackmore":39gebosr said:
Do it quick. As you have probably heard, CZ is discontinuing the 452 series and coming out with new rimfires after the first of the year.

I'm just curious- where did you hear the 452 is going to be discontinued?

Is it going to be superceded by the 453, or something entirely different?

9x19

Hunter
Supposed to be replaced by the 455... not major changes as much as better standardization.

No more guessing about whether you have 3/8" or 11mm rails, and it's supposed to have a different (better?) trigger, among other minor (screws etc.) changes.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
9x19,

I would have given you $400 for that gun. I have been looking for a 10/22 international just like the way that blued one used to look....It would save me from spending far more on the Ruger No.1 International

Charlie

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
radicalrod":vzq62mia said:
Well there is a BIG difference in an OLD CHECKERED INTERNATIONAL and a NEW BREECH INT.......I am amazed at the prices asked of the NEWER ones......I am not certain that the BLUE BOOK makes a distinction between the early and later model clear enough.....Hey saw them all down then the newer one may definitely go up that NICKLE or two......just leave them WALNUT one alone.......see ya RR.

Radical,
The two I saw were both Walnut stocked!! in great shape.
Terry

Uncle Howie":3osh5wxw said:
Blackmore":3osh5wxw said:
Do it quick. As you have probably heard, CZ is discontinuing the 452 series and coming out with new rimfires after the first of the year.

I'm just curious- where did you hear the 452 is going to be discontinued?

Is it going to be superceded by the 453, or something entirely different?

I read about it on Rimfire Central in the CZ forum. I picked up my 452 FS in .22 magnum about 2 months ago. It will not get a scope but I plan on a peep sight of some kind. I really like the mannlicher style stocks.

[
CZ001.jpg