Correct Box for NM Black Hawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
I'm trying to get a few loose ends corrected. I would like to get a correct box and paper work for a New Model Black Hawk 4 3/4, 357/9mm convertible made in 1978. I'm not sure when they switched colors and when they went to plastic. What would be the correct color and was there anything different about the convertible model's box.
Any help would be appreciated. I have boxes and paperwork for all my other Ruger handguns. Not a one for any of my rifles. Just didn't have one for this one when I got it used, years ago. It is a shooter, not a collector. Just need it for my own satisfaction.
Thanks
Bfly

contender

Ruger Guru
You need to look for the red/orange colored hindged lid box,, lightweight cardboard. The end label won't show anything about the "X" designation. The end label will have "BKH34" as the model. The "X" was done on the brown shippers only.

contender

Ruger Guru
You are absolutely correct 45_ColtMan. I have OM's on my brain so much,, it causes me problems with NM stuff.
The type of box is correct,, I just gave the wrong model info for it.

street

Hunter
Check the serial number on your gun. Somewhere after serial number 34-51628, the Red and White hinged box was changed to the Yellow and Black hinged box. This was in 1978

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys. Let's see if I have it right.
My serial number is 34-48xxx. So I am still a red and white box with BN34 on it?
Bfly

street

Hunter
Black Fly":2g0dlfh8 said:
Is the correct box red or red and white? :oops:
Bfly

It looks as if the box should be the one piece box, with the hinged lid, Red with White lettering, and a sticker with the model number on the end. Your serial number is close to the change over to the one piece box with the hinged lid, yellow, with black lettering, and knowing Ruger, you could not be 100% sure which box your gun came in. Getting the wrong box for this model would not hurt the value of you gun. IMHO. So just pick one that is the cheapest to find.