coon trapping lessons

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
With that many,, I wonder what they are feeding outdoors to attract that many so close. Pets? Livestock? Birds?

Bird feeders, pet food dishes, livestock feed bins ALL attract wild critters.
That's a good question. I assume it's just over-population. The house and un-attached 3 car garage are surrounded by woods and pasture on one side and corn or soybean fields on the other sides.

They have 2 outdoor cats but no dogs. ( I think they need a good old fashioned outside farm dog! ) No bird feeders, trash is stored in shut and locked garage until disposed of, no livestock in the area. The cats are fed on the back porch twice a day and food bowls then moved indoors. This is a very rural and remote area.

When I grew up 5 miles south of there we always had an outside dog and didn't ever see a coon or possum.

BROKENBEAR

Single-Sixer
I live in a rural subdivision with woods near by
My bird feeders are surrounded by 4 wire electric fence with a 25 mile rated solar charged "fencer"
The coons were still digging up garden, shrubs and potted plants and coming up 14 steps to krap on my second story deck
Bought 6 dog proofs last year
First night 6 for 6
Second night 5 for 6
Third night 4 for 6
etc etc
Took them up at two weeks after 3 days of no "hits"
Did I ever tell you how silent out of a single shot, bolt or pump action a CCI "Quiet" 22 long rifle 40gr lead round is?

Bear

contender

Ruger Guru
Ruger00fan,, if you wait until later in November,, the fur will be thicker & fuller. Makes for MUCH better skins. It's worth the wait. December is even better.

A good time would be during the normal "Christmas school break" to take that young boy trapping & let him REALLY learn stuff.

BuckRimfire

Bearcat
Did I ever tell you how silent out of a single shot, bolt or pump action a CCI "Quiet" 22 long rifle 40gr lead round is?

Bear
It's my belief that just a run-of-the-mill SV .22 from a 10/22 is quieter than some of the hammering I do in my garage, and would be even less remarkable if preceded by a minute of actual hammering on something.

Might be a good idea to put a cheap tarp under the trap to avoid staining the concrete...

Aguila Super Colibri or CCI Quiet in a 22/45 5.5" unless I'm in close proximity to someone's house-then I use the muffler. When the Aguilas are gone, I won't buy any more. Once in a while those won't penetrate an old boar coon's skull--knocks him out for a while and then he wakes up later. Not great if you have him slung over your shoulder headed for the pickup. Which reminds me of a really funny story:
Years ago we did a lot of coon hunting with dogs at night. One guy liked to wear a hunting coat with a game pouch that was inside the back of the coat. He could get one big coon or 2 smaller ones in there. One night we're stumbling along in the dim light of a carbide lamp when this guy goes absolutely bananas--yelling and spinning around, bumping into trees and all manner of crazy moves. We thought he'd gone over the edge from sort of loony to full blown bonkers. We finally got a flashlight on and found the guy 30' away rolling on the ground wrestling with his coat which was half off but he still had one arm in a sleeve. Finally he gets the upper hand and has his coat pinned to the ground yelling "SHOOT IT SHOOT IT". I'm carrying the 22 rifle and trying to decide whether to just shoot him or wait until he tells me what "IT" he's talking about. Turns out the big boar coon he had in the game pouch had come to life, exited the open top of the coat's internal game pouch, and was trying to reach higher ground by climbing his back.
A Jerry Clower moment if I ever saw one.

warren5421

Single-Sixer
Import hundreds of coyotes no coons, rabbits or opossum. We had lots of coon and rabbits till the saddleback coyotes moved in. Have not seen rabbit in 3 years, only 1 opossum and 3 coon. In a 5 year period when my son lived at home going to college, between us 300 notes went to the land fill. For the last 10 years I get anywheres from 30 to 60 a year. I live about 2 miles from the Indy airport in an area that is 600 acres with only 3 houses around me.