Converting Flattop Blackhawk stainless to Bisley

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Onty

Single-Sixer
I am considering Flattop stainless 357/9mm convertible stainless 5.5". However, I prefer Bisley configuration.

How difficult would be to convert standard Flattop like this one https://ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/specSheets/5247.html to Bisley configuration, all stainless?

Also, does anybody make base pin #5 (Keith style) stainless for Flattop frame:

number5style-jpg.127934

Thanks

roylt

Hunter
Conversion is just a matter of changing parts really. You just have to have the correct parts.

Bisley uses different screws etc.

Have you done any converting? Or taken a Blackhawk apart before?

Search for conversion posts and you should get more info.

Onty

Single-Sixer
roylt said:
Conversion is just a matter of changing parts really. You just have to have the correct parts.

Bisley uses different screws etc.

Have you done any converting? Or taken a Blackhawk apart before?

Search for conversion posts and you should get more info.
Not personally. However, a gunsmith had done for me swapping parts between SBH 44 Magnum, 5.5" stainless and Vaquero stainless. Going this way I've got fluted cylinder I prefer over unfluted one.

As for parts, Flattop is in between full size NMBH and Single Six. What is Bisley grip frame I can use? I am not aware of any Bisley stainless Flattop.

As for Bisley hammer and possible trigger, I am OK with blue ones for Flattop Bisley.

NikA

Buckeye
There are Bisley stainless flattops available in .44 Special, but like the .357 you are looking for they were a limited run and thus not very available.

That said, looking at the samples around here and knowing Ruger, I think the grip frames and triggers are probably a straight swap, but the hammer may need some adjustment.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The Bisley grip frames are all the same size regardless of frame size. They fit all frames from .22 to 44 Mag, so no problem there.

Easiest and least expensive way to do it is buy two guns, a stainless bisley flat top or regular Blackhawk, and the stainless plow handle 357/9mm you want. Swap parts and sell the extra gun.

Factory Video - New Model Ruger Disassembly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfOXBa8K8Ow

Factory Video - NM Reassembly:

https://www.ruger.com/videos.html?vid=131271984&cat=3769277

Onty

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
The Bisley grip frames are all the same size regardless of frame size. They fit all frames from .22 to 44 Mag, so no problem there.

Easiest and least expensive way to do it is buy two guns, a stainless bisley flat top or regular Blackhawk, and the stainless plow handle 357/9mm you want. Swap parts and sell the extra gun.

Factory Video - New Model Ruger Disassembly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfOXBa8K8Ow

Factory Video - NM Reassembly:

https://www.ruger.com/videos.html?vid=131271984&cat=3769277

Thanks for info regarding Bisley grip. This is crucial information!

Also, thank you all for other info!

MIshooter

Single-Sixer
I just did this very thing. Parts, blue or stainless, can be purchased from Ruger directly or Brownells. You will need the grip frame, grip panels, trigger, hammer, grip panel roll pin and the two rear frame screws. If you had a serial number from another gun it makes it easier for Ruger customer service to find the part numbers. As someone said, all parts interchange with all the single action frames. Frames come "semi finished". You will have to fit the grip frame and polish it to match the cylinder frame. Plan this carefully. Frame sides are not parallel to each other. The rear width is wider than the front frame width. One issue I ran into was the reverse pawl notch needed the notch deepened and moved slightly so the hammer would rest properly on the cylinder frame at rest.

Swapping frames on finished guns, do some measuring at where the grip frame meets the cylinder frame as well as the width in front of the trigger guard. Since these are mated at the factory, some variations exist.

MI-shooter

Just converted a 6.5" barrled SS Blackhawk to Bisley. Converted a 40S&W/ 10mm to Bisley also, and bored the 40 cylinder to 38-40. They came out identical looking. I also lightly rounded the corners on the Bisley grip, it just feel good

Onty

Single-Sixer
Antipaladin said:
I think Booshog has that exact Bisley model he's looking to sell. Might save you some $$$ and headaches.
Thank you Sir. Unfortunately, I will have to pass this chance. Since I am out of USA (Europe), I searched for potential exporters and looked what needs to be done. Considering the cost and hassle for a single revolver, I decided it's not worth it.

However, "never say never", some time unexpected guns turn up on the market (one of the largest is egun.de/ ).

While in Canada some years back, I wanted stainless Bisley in 44 magnum. Unfortunately, this revolver is one of those non-standard, distributor exclusive revolvers, and never been imported in Canada. Well, one day I had seen fellow in Toronto was selling Bisley Vaquero 45 Colt, stainless. I never needed such revolver, but I spotted my chance, and grabbed it. Soon after I purchased brand new SBH, stainless, 5.5", sent both guns to a local smith to swap parts and make me stainless Bisley in 44 Magnum. Better yet, I have now revolver with fluted cylinder, something I always preferred over unfluted. Here is the result:

5fshz9Z.jpg

Another unexpected benefit is how well this revolver locks cylinder. It's rock solid. I have/had at least couple dozen revolvers, and had seen many more, but none locks cylinder like this one. Next thing is to develop a good load for it.

One chance is to wait when Ruger makes Bisley Flattop 357 Magnum / 9mm convertible. Apparently, this one is in a pipeline. In that case, several of us could join forces and with help of one of local importers, get what we want. I guess "Patience is a Virtue".