Converting a Vaquero to a 3 Screw Style Action

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jmar

Bearcat
BlkHawk73 said:
Maybe I'm reading into things a bit. Seems to need it to handle "general shooting, shooting hot loads, dry fanning, quickdraw, twirling, and sitting at my desk playing with it all day" yet you're after a New Vaquero? Umm, you do realize these are on the medium frame and not for those hot "Ruger only" loads, right? Anything below that level, within SAAMI specs and you'd be ok. The quickdraw and twirling actions...well, I'm sure even the lowest level SA will withstand that. ;)
Well i meant hotter loads than a Uberti or a Pietta should shoot, i wont be shooting very hot Ruger loads. And quickdraw is tough on guns the guys who do it smack the hammer back as fast as possible. Sometimes like in .30 of a second i believe. Probably very bad for the cylinder stop and cylinder. Obviously i'm not near as quick so my gun won't take near as much abuse as theirs.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
CraigC said:
Hondo44 said:
Craig's comment is limited to his knowledge of just the Power Customs 1/2 cock hammer instructions which results in: the 1/2 cock hammer can only be cocked if done before the gate is open w/o my latch modification.
No, my comment is "limited" to my experience in installing the PC half cock hammer/trigger kit and using it.

And I hope you understand that the OP is probably a teenager. Definitely not someone who needs to be going through your tutorial with file in hand. :roll:

Same limit. :roll:

Oh very "nice" for you to say that about one of our newer members, and everyone here appreciates your "encouraging" remark. :roll: I'm sure jmar can decide for himself.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Hondo44 said:
Same limit. :roll:

Oh very "nice" for you to say that about one of our newer members, and everyone here appreciates your "encouraging" remark. :roll: I'm sure jmar can decide for himself.
Yes, my comments are "limited" to using the parts as advertised. :roll:

Hmmm, might have had an interesting discussion on another forum with said "newer member". Might not have been the only one with such an impression.

Did you ever get your scale fixed? :roll:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Can very slow fanning hurt a revolver? Seems to me the damage is done from the momentum not necessarily the technique. :D

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
Fanning is for the movies, but I guess the stage coach hasn't reached New York yet. I encourage all the cowboys to shoot some original power ammo. You will quickly see why the 45 Colt was the most powerful cartridge of its day, and a few days after that as well.

Even if you don't immediately ruin the hand, the bolt and the cylinder it will be very hard to fire several rounds in quick succession from the hip. That's because the revolver won't be at your hip after the first round. And, if you are using black powder, you will be surrounded by thick smoke after the first shot, and unable to see what you are shooting at.

Yet, the idea of fanning lingers on just like the smoke...

CU

CraigC

Hawkeye
Carry_Up said:
Fanning is for the movies, but I guess the stage coach hasn't reached New York yet. I encourage all the cowboys to shoot some original power ammo. You will quickly see why the 45 Colt was the most powerful cartridge of its day, and a few days after that as well.

Even if you don't immediately ruin the hand, the bolt and the cylinder it will be very hard to fire several rounds in quick succession from the hip. That's because the revolver won't be at your hip after the first round. And, if you are using black powder, you will be surrounded by thick smoke after the first shot, and unable to see what you are shooting at.

Yet, the idea of fanning lingers on just like the smoke...

CU
Exactly! A ~250gr cast bullet at 950fps out of a lightweight SAA is no slouch.

It is much more effective and efficient to cock with the weak thumb, slow or fast. And it saves your sixgun from the unnecessary battering of fanning.

Apples

Bearcat
I don't know what's out there nor what they might be fetching these days, but would it be worth the trouble to convert a NMB .44 Special flattop to at the very least the OM action? I don't cotton to the transfer bar or flipping open the gate to free the cylinder. I like loading my Blackhawks the old-fashioned way.

Too, if the steps laid out by others here in this thread can be followed by a novice machinist, mechanic, musician and truck driver, I would also like to attempt a 3-screw conversion to the same pistol.

Glad this thread exists. I had wanted to ask the same questions...

CraigC

Hawkeye
That's exactly what I was planning for mine. Bought the Power Custom Bisley half cock hammer/trigger kit but have yet to install it.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Apples,

Converting the NM Flat Top BH to just the old model action w/o transfer bar is pretty simple. If you haven't had a NM apart yet, start with these factory videos at the bottom of this post. You'll also become familiar with the part names and what they look like.

NM converted to a 4 click OM action w/o transfer bar or loading gate lockouts:

The Power Custom 'Registered' old model style hammer has a safety notch, a ½ cock notch, will give you 4 clicks, and would be the easiest approach. Use with their modified trigger or modify yours. The very thick Ruger trigger sear must be thinned down from the front side (like an old model Ruger trigger). The rear corner of the trigger, which is the actual sear is not touched. That's why PC sells the modified trigger, but it's so easy to do, it's not worth the cost IMO.

Just leave out the transfer bar. The loading gate will be freed up so you can open it with the hammer in any position.

Other options are an original old model hammer or the PC Bisley hammer made for old models.

Using the PC registered hammer, the PC Bisley hammer for old models, or an original OM hammer is almost the same. None can be used with a transfer bar because they have the flat face. All three need the trigger modification as described above to fit in the notches.

To use the PC Bisley hammer 'for old models' or an original OM hammer, there's two additional modificationsrequired:
1. Shim the screw hole, because the OM screw is slightly larger than the NM pin. And that's simple: take a 22 case with bullet and powder removed and primer fired which is just the right size, (a fired 22 shell won't work because it's expanded), press it into the OM hammer screw hole in a vise, and cut the case off flush on both sides. Debur the edges and clean out with a 22 bore brush. Now the NM hammer pin will fit perfectly.
2. Cut the transfer bar connecting boss off of the trigger to clear the hammer bases.

With any of these hammer options, you must cut off the shaft protruding from the cyl latch so the loading gate will be freed up to cock the hammer with gate open.

NOTE: On the New Vaqueros and Flat Tops you can have a free wheeling cyl as well, just remove the set screw, spring and indexing pawl in the hammer channel.

Factory Video - New Model Ruger Disassembly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfOXBa8K8Ow

Factory Video - NM Reassembly (shows hammer plunger assembly too):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zEKDqwkgEs&feature=related

Apples

Bearcat
Hondo44

Converting the NM Flat Top BH to just the old model action w/o transfer bar is pretty simple. If you haven't had a NM apart yet, start with these factory videos at the bottom of this post. You'll also become familiar with the part names and what they look like.

Great stuff! Thank you for your experienced reply.

Apples

Bearcat
Noted.

The hammer I'd prefer! to use... and I'd need three* of them, is the OM Super trigger. I once recently quick-searched for some and came up empty-handed.

More importantly, would OM (basic-) Blackhawk triggers be available? so that I do not have to permanently alter any of, say, the NM .44 Special flattops trigger? if I were to purchase that particular pistol...

Again, your help is appreciated!

* I have other 3-screw Blackhawks with original hammers I'd like to replace.

:)