Converting a MEC Sizemaster

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mrgaf

Single-Sixer
Got a lke new Sizemaster 28 ga and want to convert to it to 12. Will never invert back since I'm selling off the 28. Would order a new press but shipping to Hawaii is expensive and the press I have ain't even broke in yet. Anyone ever convert the sizemaster to another gauge? How hard is it to do? Appreciate any info...

Clark

Bearcat
I converted a 600 from 28 to 12 several years ago. I had asked your question on a shotgunning forum and everyone said to just get a new press. I didn't listen. I would now suggest getting a new press.

The conversion kit costs about 1/2(?) of what a new press goes for and then you have to readjust everything on your old press for the new gauge. I would sell the old press and buy a new one in the gauge you desire.

Clark

5of7

Hunter
I have never converted a sizemaster, but as a trap and skeet shooter, I have heard a lot of discussion on this.

At least 90% of shooters say to buy a new sizemaster in the gauge you want and sell the old one.

I am assuming that there are skeet ranges in Hi? If so, it should be no trouble in selling the 28 gauge press. 8)

XP100

Blackhawk
You can get more for a used 28ga. than a used 12 ga. 28's seem to go for 75 - 80 % of a new one. MEC does not make a conversion kit for the sizemaster, you would have to buy what you need pice meal and it would not be cheap.Sell yours then take the money and buy a 12.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I think there are five MECs around here right now: one of each gauge (12, 20, 28 & .410), plus an extra 12. That right there should tell 99% of the story as I interpret it!

I've done a couple of rebuilds which were about the same as a conversion, plus repair work on customers' machines "back when."

Suggest listening to the guys who say "Sell the 28" (yes, they DO hold their value well) and get a new 12 straight from the box. The conversion, IF it's just a once in a lifetime deal, isn't THAT bad to do, but now you've got a box of parts that "I'll get around to selling one of these days." Having bought used parts on eBay and elsewhere for a song, I'd suggest you'll do better money wise selling a whole machine.

Rick C

mrgaf

Single-Sixer
Hmmmm 28 gauge around here has a zero following. The press has been up for sale for about 6 months now with zero takers (asking $150.00). In order to ship a new press in, it will cost me about $85-90.00 plus the cost of the cost of the press which puts we over $300.00 for a new setup and overall deep in the hole. Going the conversion route is much cheaper. Midway has a conversion kit for the sizemaster that gives me everything I need (less instructions) to do it. One thing I have learned is MEC is not very forthcoming with any help in the way of step by step instructions on how to do the conversion and pretty much give you the "take it or leave it" attitude. :(