Convertable Bearcat

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Was at the Waterville gun show this Saturday and one of the dealers had a Convertable Bearcat there for sale. Heck I never knew there was such an animal. After speaking with him a while he told me that they were recalled and most were returned to the factory making them a rather rare item.

This one appeared to be NIB the price on it was 1450.00 pricey little Bearcat if you ask me. Any more info on these will be appreciated Thanx ps

TDF

Single-Sixer
Flatgate hasn't seen this yet or you'd be looking at his consecutively numbered examples (three in row if I remember correctly).

TDF

Sam Johnson

Blackhawk
SBC4X.JPG

Flatgate will be along to show his three but until then here is my one, serial numbrer 93-01256 with the recall letter from Ruger. Yes that price is a bit too much I think. But if new in the box, how bad does one want it...

flatgate

Hawkeye
Rare guns!!! Ruger introduced the New Bearcat as a convertible in Nov. of '93. Approx. 1,000 guns (maybe a few less) were shipped. Ruger began receiving reports of "trouble", i.e. spitting of lead, etc. from shooters. I have a strong suspicion the trouble was the result of folks "fanning" the guns while shooting the .22 magnums. In any case, Ruger issued a "recall" (baited with a pair of $20 bills) for the .22 magnum cylinders. Quite a few folks took advantage of this offer, perhaps as many as 300 +. So, the surviving convertibles have shot up in price, of course!!! Current values are in the $1,100 range, IMHO.

I was offered a consecutive pair in Nov. of '93 and then years later a dear friend shared a third example with me.

128516925.jpg

One very interesting feature of the three 'cats is that they exhibit (as shipped) early OM medallions, late OM medallions and New Bearcat medallions.
The rollmarkings on the cylinders exhibit two different roll dies, as well.

flatgate

revhigh

Hawkeye
Show off !!!!!

Nice guns !!

I ask you again ... is there ANY gun you don't have (three of) LOL ???

REV

flatgate

Hawkeye
revhigh":3365xumr said:

REV

Hah! I'm just a beginner at this Ruger collecting. You should see the collections I've seen!!!!

I just show mine off a lot! After all, Ruger Forum does permit the posting of images.

flatgate

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
flatgate":l4gtg47b said:
revhigh":l4gtg47b said:

REV

Hah! I'm just a beginner at this Ruger collecting. You should see the collections I've seen!!!!

I just show mine off a lot! After all, Ruger Forum does permit the posting of images.

flatgate

Too bad the OP didn't post the serial number as connecting to the three convertibles you already have as I somehow bet you could find a way to add another to your already impressive set :lol:

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Dragging this one back from the depths...saw in one of the Maine 'for sale' books, what I'm guessing is the same one (same price and how many in ME are there?)

BlkHawk73 said:
Dragging this one back from the depths...saw in one of the Maine 'for sale' books, what I'm guessing is the same one (same price and how many in ME are there?)

Could very well be. To bad I cain't remember the dealers name. Seeing the price is the same there's a good chance it's the same cat. I don't imagine there are to mant floating around these parts. ps