Convert AR to piston or new 556?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

craigcpa

Bearcat
Greetings. Long time lurker (generally at SigForum under same name), but decided to pose a question here:

I'm in the market for converting my M&P 15 to a piston (Adams Arms), but am considering just trading for a new 556. I'm not into the "tacticool" rails and such (for any of my weapons); I just like a clean look. But the 556 is getting good reviews and is piston. A conversion seems the way to go for me, at least for saving some $. My question is this: is the reliability of a conversion going to be the same of the designed and built (556), or does the designed built piston AR just deem spending the additional $394? Here are my figures:

Current AR: $900
Conversion piston: $260
Gunsmith: $ 50 (to do the work)
Total: $1,210 (OUT OF POCKET)

556 cost: $1,616 (out-the-door)
AR trade (or sell): $ 800
Total: $ 816 (OUT OF POCKET)

MAC702

Single-Sixer
You can transfer in a Ruger SR-556 from GunBroker for $1450, plus shipping and transfer fees; might save you another $100 if you go that route, depending on where you are.

Welcome to the forum. I recommend updating your profile with your location as it constantly helps with most questions.

MAC702

Single-Sixer
Another thing that we don't know is what your current AR has and what you might like on one.

A new Ruger SR-556 will have Troy Industries rails, rail guards, flip-up sights, three Mag-Pul magazines, soft rifle case, ergo grip, M4 buttstock, etc...

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
I had updated one of my Bushmaster ARs to piston shortly before the SR556 became available so it would make no economic sense for me to get one unless I had need (or desire) for another AR. I did the conversion myself so no gunsmith cost was involved. If I didn't already have one, a Ruger AR would be tempting. For what it is worth, I consider my piston conversion Bushmaster to be as good (or better :wink:) as the SR556. YMMV :mrgreen:

craigcpa

Bearcat
wetidlerjr":2ehtax0q said:
I had updated one of my Bushmaster ARs to piston shortly before the SR556 became available so it would make no economic sense for me to get one unless I had need (or desire) for another AR. I did the conversion myself so no gunsmith cost was involved. If I didn't already have one, a Ruger AR would be tempting. For what it is worth, I consider my piston conversion Bushmaster to be as good (or better :wink:) as the SR556. YMMV :mrgreen:

I'm thinking it would not make economic sense for me either. I agree that the new Ruger 556 is a good choice, but it could be less for me if it were not so "tactical." I'm not into all the rails, etc.

So Mr. Tidler, how is your conversion reliability and accuracy for your Bushmaster?

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
If you like everything about your S&W M&P 15, except that it is a not a piston system. I would say, just get a conversion. Make sure you research on the conversion though.

I myself like the Osprey Defense piston, and after they finish working out the bugs I might get one. I also understand that the Bushmaster brand conversion kit is good as well

On the Osprey defense piston, it looks like the will need to include a bolt like the one the comes with the Ruger to make it the most reliable.

http://gaspiston.com/
http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=6#GP-GSR

Charlie

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
BTW, I think you made a mistake on your cost calculation

Current AR: $900
556 cost: $1,616 (out-the-door)
AR trade (or sell): $ 800 ($100 loss)
Total: $ 1716 (OUT OF POCKET)

Also, dependant on the piston, it could cost you more for the piston. What brand are you looking at? I like the Bushmaster and Osprey conversion, as you do not have to replace the front sight unit. They seem to be a bit more expensive though (close to $400).

Charlie

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
craigcpa":3vh723co said:
wetidlerjr":3vh723co said:

I'm thinking it would not make economic sense for me either. I agree that the new Ruger 556 is a good choice, but it could be less for me if it were not so "tactical." I'm not into all the rails, etc.

So Mr. Tidler, how is your conversion reliability and accuracy for your Bushmaster?

Excellent ! No malfunctions and the conversion did not degrade accuracy in any way. :mrgreen:

craigcpa

Bearcat
Leucoandro":3qsprcjo said:
If you like everything about your S&W M&P 15, except that it is a not a piston system. I would say, just get a conversion. Make sure you research on the conversion though.

I myself like the Osprey Defense piston, and after they finish working out the bugs I might get one. I also understand that the Bushmaster brand conversion kit is good as well

On the Osprey defense piston, it looks like the will need to include a bolt like the one the comes with the Ruger to make it the most reliable.

http://gaspiston.com/
http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=6#GP-GSR

Charlie

I am looking at Adams Arms. They are currently providing the piston for the new M&P piston Ar's available from the factory.

Oh, and I do agree about my calculations, but it was intended for a future "out of pocket" example. Thanks for your reply.