Contactless Credit Card

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I guess I'm just paranoid, but I can see a virtual plethora of reasons for NOT going
with a contactless credit card. First one that comes to mind is that you will NEED a
wallet with built in RF screening so some dolt can't just walk up behind you and put
a charge on your card. Second is if you have more than one, which one did you
mean to charge? Did more than one get charged?

What put me on to this is the wallet I've been using for several years is just about to
give up, so I went looking and found one that has all the features I like, and I noticed
it also has the RF screen built in. I just figured "oh well" and got it anyway. Then in
the E-mail this morning came an offer from one of my credit cards for "Contactless".
I deleted that straight away.

Flip side of that discussion is that I normally use a card about three times per week.
Humm, is that a frequency that would make this more convenient? I think not.

Anyone else have an opinion?

coach

Hunter
I do like the Apple pay on my phone. As I understand it the data is encrypted so a skimmer at a gas station can’t steal it. I prefer to use it buying gas but most stations around me don’t have it yet. I don’t know how the contactless cards work. I have to think some kind of encryption is involved.

You're talking about the “tap to pay” feature on some credit cards right? Is that the “contactless” part you mean? My credit card doesn’t have that, or I haven’t activated it at least. My wife uses Apple Pay a lot. Except at Wal Mart, because they don’t accept Apple Pay.

Your talking about someone coming up behind you and charging something on your card in your wallet, in your back pocket? How close does it have to be to work? I would think pretty close.

Apple Pay is pretty secure by the way.

I've told this story before, and nearly everyone has told me it can't be...

I was standing in line at the front desk of my doctors office.

The lady in front of me was paying a copay with a credit card. Even before she pulled it out of her purse, the receptionist said "got it". The lady making the payment said "I didn't even give you my card". And the receptionist said I don't know, but the credit card payment popped up.

I don't trust this stuff.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
bobski said:
have you seen the cyber wallets they sell to guard against cyber swipes?
I just got one, and I have an all aluminum one from four or five years back.
The all aluminum one is a pain in the posterior to use. The new one seems very
much like the one I'm replacing.

sncup

Single-Sixer
A $2 solution for radio freq card info problems

An Altoid mint box just fits credit cards / drivers license / CCW card. When this issue of magnetic security first came up I looked around and found a Peppermint Altoid box perfectly fit all these plastic cards. The Altoid box is all metal and should act as a Faraday cage to protect against radio frequency reading.
The Altoid is just a bit bigger than the cards so its necessary to depress one end of the card to get the other end out.

Using the Altoid box for several years has worked out fine, but the flimsy lid tabs give out after several months of use. (time to buy a new $2 box of Altoids). I keep a large denomination bill folded up in the box as backup and use a foam ear plug under the cards to minimize rattling.

I like this arrangement since it protects my valuable plastic cards and separates them from my wallet.

Johnnu2

Buckeye
Speaking from NO experience (only have a flip phone that's usually OFF)... I have heard/seen TV stories of people in (mostly) large cities who prey on these 'RF' credit cards AND the new drivers' licenses that hold ALL your personal data (I'm thinking even SS # ?). They simply walk behind you on the crowded streets and help themselves to all your data. I don't know what they do with it, but I'm sure it ain't good.
J.

What size is the reader necessary to access the information from these cards? Can anyone just go buy one of these devices? Can they be concealed? For example, someone on the street accessing everyone’s data?

Curious, as I’ve never seen this being an issue except when it’s been discussed here.

bogus bill

Hunter
I am like rip vanwinkle, I dont have a clue what you guys are talking about. I might have used a credit card four times in my life. Wife does use the bank debit card when she shops.

coach

Hunter
Article about contactless credit cards. It seems they should be as secure as any other method.
https://creditcards.usnews.com/articles/should-you-be-worried-about-tap-and-go-credit-cards#:~:text=Contactless%20Credit%20Cards%20Are%20the%20Next%20Step%20in,than%20magnetic%20strips%20on%20the%20back%20of%20cards.

redhawker

Buckeye
Completely contactless might bring some problems as was noted but our local In-n-Out Burger has a system that seems to work well and is about as "touchless" as it can get. The line is always 20+ cars in the drive-through (they're that good if you're not familiar with them) and they usually have two masked employees with tablet computers taking the orders in the line. As they go from car to car if you're paying with a card (they are still taking cash) the people taking the orders have these little credit card machines that they will hold up and you slip your card into the machine. It reads the chip and then they'll tell you "ok" and you take the card out of the machine. They never touch the card. If you do want to pay cash you have to do that at the window.

Latest posts